PDA

View Full Version : light primer strikes with 7.62x51 ammo

Pages : [1] 2

RedGoblin
10-02-2021, 02:03 PM
I bought the savage impulse predator in 308 recently and after mounting the optics I took it out to site in, but at best only 1 in 4 rounds went off. All of my ammo is technically 7.62x51, but that shouldn't matter. The ammo I am using never had any issues with my other rifles. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to send it back to Savage for them to fix it?

NF1E
10-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Have you done anything with the trigger mechanism or bolt? A good clean and lubed trigger and bolt internals might help. I like to use Dupont dry teflon lube.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Factory loaded or your reloads? First thought is head space. Not chamber issue but ammo too short? Firing pin hits primer, case gets pushed forward in chamber and you get FTF.

Either way, pull the bullets out a bit to increase the OAL, bullets jammed into the lands will hold the case head against the bolt head. Once fired, if reloading, make sure the shoulders don't get pushed back too far and you end up with the same problem again.

RedGoblin
10-03-2021, 05:09 PM
I shot it brand new. I tried it with German NATO milspec and factory reloads that I bought awhile ago, the ammo never gave me this kind of issues in any of my other guns. They were equally unreliable when I tried to fire it out of my impulse. Are Savage rifle suppose to be picky?

shoots100
10-03-2021, 05:49 PM
One of my savage 308 rifles wouldn't shoot the span can and battle pak 308 mil ammo.
Shot everything else without issue.
I never shot anything but reloads in my .243 predator and no issues so far.
The only way your going to be able to test your cartridge or chamber, is with a case gauge and a chamber headspace gauge.
You can also put a piece of scotch tape over the primer of a fired case and see if the firing pin will pierce the tape.
It's very easy to disassemble the bolt of the impulse and I would do that to see if there's something hindering firing pin movement.

RedGoblin
10-03-2021, 07:06 PM
It will hit the primer but after seeing other spent round for other rifles the the firing pin is not hitting as deeply as the rest of my rifles. It is either the firing pin is too short, or the something in the chamber is off what ever it is I am going to see what Savage will say tomorrow.

shoots100
10-03-2021, 09:25 PM
It's a tool and sometimes even new tools need some TLC.
I would at least check the bolt, give the rifle a good cleaning and lube before calling Savage.
https://www.borchers.es/idb/manuales/savage/manual_savage_impulse.pdf (https://www.borchers.es/idb/manuales/savage/manual_savage_impulse.pdf)

RedGoblin
10-04-2021, 12:35 AM
The bolt was clean and lubed when I took it out to the range. The gun is striking all of the primers too lightly for what ever reason. If my rifle is within specs... than it is useless to me if it can't even fire a properly chambered round. If Savage guns can't shot mil-spec ammo, they should be informing potential buyers of its limitations. Hopefully they will be able to find and fix the issue.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-04-2021, 10:48 AM
One way to tell if it's an ammo problem? If you can, pull a few bullets out of the necks a "little bit". That will end up (OAL) as a "jam into the lands" and also hold the case head against the bolt head. That should show you if the firing pin is or isn't hitting the primer hard enough.
Head space and firing pin specs are set at the factory and most New rigs have a target showing that the rifle was fired and"works" as planned.
My guess? Ammo problem that "can be corrected" without too much work.

shoots100
10-08-2021, 08:37 AM
I bought the savage impulse predator in 308 recently and after mounting the optics I took it out to site in, but at best only 1 in 4 rounds went off. All of my ammo is technically 7.62x51, but that shouldn't matter. The ammo I am using never had any issues with my other rifles. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to send it back to Savage for them to fix it?
Any news on this ?

Robinhood
10-09-2021, 06:57 PM
The bolt was clean and lubed when I took it out to the range. The gun is striking all of the primers too lightly for what ever reason. If my rifle is within specs... than it is useless to me if it can't even fire a properly chambered round. If Savage guns can't shot mil-spec ammo, they should be informing potential buyers of its limitations. Hopefully they will be able to find and fix the issue.

If the rifle says 308 and the ammo say mil spec 7.62x51mm Savage warned you. Military primers are usually harder and take more energy to ignite. 308 ammunition doesn't normally require mil spec primers.

RCE1
10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Have you measured firing pin protrusion? Personally I'm not that interested in surplus ammunition, but I can understand that some are.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-10-2021, 09:48 AM
Would think the "firing pin" WAS set correctly at the factory.

RCE1
10-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Well, there's firing pin protrusion, headspace, primer seat depth and cup hardness. All are interrelated. Protrusion is one data point, but maybe you'd just be better off sending the rifle back to the factory.

Robinhood
10-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Well, there's firing pin protrusion, headspace, primer seat depth and cup hardness. All are interrelated. Protrusion is one data point, but maybe you'd just be better off sending the rifle back to the factory.

Maybe you could expand on the firing pin protrusion causing light primer strikes theory....? What is right and why.

Red Goblin, What do you mean by lubed?

RCE1
10-10-2021, 09:11 PM
Firing pin protrusion is the length of firing pin protruding from the bolt face in the forward position. It would be measured with a depth micrometer. I don't believe there is an actual SAAMI spec for that, each maker would have their own thoughts. The more firing pin that protrudes, the deeper the indentation made on the primer. It is possible to have too much protrusion which would cause pierced primers and other issues. If there isn't enough, then you might see lighter indentation on the primers and occasional misfires. If you have brass with excessive headspace, firing pin protrusion at the shorter end of the acceptable range and a hard primer cup as is frequently seen in surplus ammunition you could find reliability issues. I cannot recall if you have tried other kinds of ammunition or not. That would be a good place to start.

If you find the same problems with other kinds of ammunition as well, I would check headspace with a set of go/no go gauges.

Robinhood
10-10-2021, 09:51 PM
I have a comment and a couple of questions. Once the firing pin strikes the cup, the indentation being created forces the cup with the priming disk, into the anvil and the anvil shifts to a stopping point at the bottom of the primer pocket, smashing the priming disk creating the small explosion it was designed to make.....how much further can the firing pin go. How much did it take for all of that to happen?

BTW...I am yanking your chain.

Robinhood
10-10-2021, 09:59 PM
If it is a newer rifle my bet is the protrusion is not adjustable and there is a possibility that the new Savage firing pin spring may be on the weak side. If some heavy lube got into the firing pin assembly that could be an issue. Like you said, excessive head space could be a problem as well. Without some experience it starts becoming confusing for the non Savagesmith.

shoots100
10-16-2021, 08:51 AM

It's been awhile, any updates from Red Goblin, not others here trying to fix an "issue", that might not really be an issue ?
I've corresponded with a couple of other savage impulse predator owners and none have had any issues with their rifles, but none have tried shooting NATO Mil Spec ammo in them.

As per the Savage Impulse manual.

1.2 - Ammunition ;
Use only the correct ammunition that matches what is marked on the barrel.
The use of reloads, hand loads, military surplus or any other commercial/noncommercial ammunition not manufactured to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer’s Institute, Inc.)/ANSI (American National Standards Institute) specifications will void the warranty.
Be sure that any ammunition loaded into the firearm is in good, serviceable condition.

Robinhood
10-17-2021, 05:20 PM
As per the Savage Impulse manual.

1.2 - Ammunition ;
Use only the correct ammunition that matches what is marked on the barrel.
The use of reloads, hand loads, military surplus or any other commercial/noncommercial ammunition not manufactured to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer’s Institute, Inc.)/ANSI (American National Standards Institute) specifications will void the warranty.
Be sure that any ammunition loaded into the firearm is in good, serviceable condition.

My point. With the old style firing pins this was not normally an issue though.

If the rifle says 308 and the ammo say mil spec 7.62x51mm Savage warned you. Military primers are usually harder and take more energy to ignite. 308 ammunition doesn't normally require mil spec primers.