PDA

View Full Version : Talk about easy to disassemble

AbitNutz
09-28-2021, 05:39 PM
Talk about easy to disassemble

So I have just got my new Savage Impulse Predator rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I looked it over and all looked good. I’m pretty impressed with the fit and finish. It is notably better in that department than my Precision Elite that I purchased last year. I like the name they put together. SAVAGE IMPULSE PREDATOR. Sounds like a mental illness.

The rifle is the normal run of the mill Savage, Accustock and Accutrigger. Unfortunately I don’t like the dingus laden Accutrigger. Although this one does seem fairly OK. This Accutrigger is Impulse specific and is not compatible with other Savage triggers. That’s really too bad for people like me. Really, nothing new here. The action on the other hand is totally unlike anything I have ever seen and brother I have seen more than my fair share. I actually had to read the owner’s manual. As a Marine you could tell as my lips were moving. I’m going to have to keep the manual too for nothing else but for continued reference and to color in. As a Marine I always have my firearm and crayons handy.

The first thing I did was to change the bolt handle from right hand to left hand. I’m not really left handed but I’m forced to be because I lost the sight in my right eye fighting for this great country of ours. Actually I was playing football at the time but I was theater so that counts, right?

I tried to change it over intuitively but failed miserably. I even failed miserably taking the bolt out. This only goes to prove it was wise to make me an officer. I’m pressing the button on the back of the bolt and manipulating the bolt handle and at this point, AND I SWEAR I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP, I look down and the bolt head is laying on the table. I was wondering how easy or difficult it was going to be to take the bolt head off. Well now I know. It takes no tools what so ever.

I had somehow tripped over the combination of how to take the bolt head off accidentally. Now I had to put it back on. It didn’t go on easily as it came off, however that happened.

I want to say at this point that it is impossible for the bolt head to come off with the bolt in the rifle.

Anyway, I went to YouTube to figure this out. No go. YouTube held no information on changing the Impulse’s bolt head, nada, zip, zero. I was left to my own natural mechanical intuition. Well, I guess I could always call Savage. I now felt doomed.

Now really, if the damn thing fell off how hard could it be to get it back on? Really not hard at all. I won’t go into it but it you do a thing and it just goes on.

This is the COOLEST rifle design ever. The bolt is super slick. The design is elegant and it has the potential of being eminently adaptable.

This is all just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

J.Baker
09-29-2021, 12:02 PM
Must be some kind of new AI that self-disassembles for cleaning when needed. :nod:

AbitNutz
09-29-2021, 12:17 PM
Must be some kind of new AI that self-disassembles for cleaning when needed. :nod:

It certainly freaked me out. I was used to having to driving out a pin like on the 110 right? But on the Impulse, all you do twiddle with it and the bolt head falls off. No tools needed. This rifle is just wicked cool.

This is the first time I have kept the owner’s manual on a firearm. Or read beyond the warning about shooting yourself. This is a very different action that deserves to have its features and benefits really well promoted.

E6Chevron
10-04-2021, 03:07 AM
The Operator's manual and illustrations, is really quite good at explaining how to perform the different activities involving in disassembly.

AbitNutz
10-04-2021, 01:57 PM
The Operator's manual and illustrations, is really quite good at explaining how to perform the different activities involving in disassembly.

The owners manual nor any online resource goes into how to change bolt heads on the Impulse. In fact, there are no exlploded diagrams, videos or any other sesources beyond changing around the bolt handle and adjusting the trigger.

shoots100
10-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Page 7.

https://www.borchers.es/idb/manuales/savage/manual_savage_impulse.pdf (https://www.borchers.es/idb/manuales/savage/manual_savage_impulse.pdf)