PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Impulse information!

AbitNutz
09-28-2021, 10:01 AM
I got this straight from the horse’s mouth, the Director of Customer Service. I had 4 email exchanges where he was kind enough to answer specific questions related to the Savage impulse rifle that boils down to the following:

1: There is only one aluminum receiver and bolt no matter what Savage impulse model.
2: There are two barrel extension sizes, one for small shank and one for large shank.
3: The barrel extensions will interchange into that single receiver, as you would expect.
4: Small shank calibers are: 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag
5: Large shank caliber is 300 WSM
6: All savage 110 barrels fit the appropriate size barrel extension.
7: That means there is universal interchangeability between any Savage barrel made with a the new Impulse rifles and the 110 series with a large and small barrel extension

The only bad news out of any of this is that they don't know when they'll have barrel extensions and bolt heads for sale. I can only hope that it won't be too long a wait till they make the extensions and bolt heads available. I think if tghey did that, they would see an increase in sales. I think if they made this information know they would see an increase in interest.

E6Chevron
10-04-2021, 03:03 AM
So, the Savage 110 bolt action rifle, has a bolt that locks into the receiver. And the long shank or short shank barrel threads into the receiver.

The Savage Impulse has a bolt with a changeable hexlock bolt head that locks into the Barrel extension, and the 110 style long shank or short shank barrels thread into a long shank or short shank Barrel Extension. The Barrel Extension is pinned and bolted into the receiver.

AbitNutz
10-04-2021, 01:31 PM
I don't see how the Impulse HexLock bolt head is going to engage a barrel extension from a Savage 110 rifle.

The savage 110 doesn't use a barrel extension. The barrel screws directly into the receiver. On the impulse, the barrel screws into the barrel extension and then the extension "bolts" into the aluminum receiver. The barrels are the same.

snowgetter1
10-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Great information thank you!!!

E6Chevron
05-11-2022, 03:45 PM
I got this straight from the horse’s mouth, the Director of Customer Service. I had 4 email exchanges where he was kind enough to answer specific questions related to the Savage impulse rifle that boils down to the following:

1: There is only one aluminum receiver and bolt no matter what Savage impulse model.
2: There are two barrel extension sizes, one for small shank and one for large shank.
3: The barrel extensions will interchange into that single receiver, as you would expect.
4: Small shank calibers are: 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag
5: Large shank caliber is 300 WSM
6: All savage 110 barrels fit the appropriate size barrel extension.
7: That means there is universal interchangeability between any Savage barrel made with a the new Impulse rifles and the 110 series with a large and small barrel extension

The only bad news out of any of this is that they don't know when they'll have barrel extensions and bolt heads for sale. I can only hope that it won't be too long a wait till they make the extensions and bolt heads available. I think if tghey did that, they would see an increase in sales. I think if they made this information know they would see an increase in interest.

Are you quite sure that in the Impulse, the 300 WSM is the only large shank barrel/extension caliber.
AND
that the 300 Winchester Magnum uses the small shank barrel/extension, like all the other calibers?

NOT arguing, just verifying. TIA

AbitNutz
05-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Are you quite sure that in the Impulse, the 300 WSM is the only large shank barrel/extension caliber.AMDthat the 300 Winchester Magnum uses the small shank barrel/extension, like all the other calibers?NOT arguing, just verifying. TIAYep, I got that info right from the horse's mouth...er, Savages. The PRC cartridges will use the large shank too. The 300 Win Mag will use the small shank.