PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Flyer

Pages : [1] 2

wbm
09-23-2021, 11:12 AM
Put on another stock that had been shown to be free of the problem with same 243.
Did not touch scope. Both stocks are wood.
Problem fixed.

Dave Hoback
09-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Well...if you have a fairly predictable cold bore, 1st shot, try hold over on that first shot shot. Problem solved, LOL!

Fuj'
09-23-2021, 12:56 PM
We all experience flyers at one time or another. One of the worst is a clean barrel/cold shot flyer.

And I thought it was just me....LOL I was out to the range early this morning
to do a short ladder with the new Reloder 15.5. I did a general barrel clean just
to remove carbon and check for copper. Hoppes first, patch it out, then Sweets
to check for blue. Patch out again.....I shot five of my match loads of IMR- 4166
that bugholes at 100. The five shot group was a dismal 3/4" with the first 2 going
high/left......After shooting my ladder of R-15.5, I let the barrel cool then fire 4 of
what was left of the match ammo. A perfect and round bug hole.....I cant say for
certain but as many patch's as I run through clean, I believe you never truly get
all the oil/cleaner residue out due to tooling marks, and any fire cracking. And the
main reason I shoot a minimum of 5 fouler's before engaging sighters at a match.

wbm
09-23-2021, 02:48 PM
Check out first post again.

I believe you never truly get
all the oil/cleaner residue out due to tooling marks, and any fire cracking. And the
main reason I shoot a minimum of 5 fouler's before engaging sighters at a match.

I truly believe you are right!

Well...if you have a fairly predictable cold bore, 1st shot, try hold over on that first shot shot. Problem solved, LOL!
http://www.savageshooters.com/images/smilies/tea.gif

IMR- 4166 that bugholes at 100.

+1 Really like that powder but cannot find any here!

Whynot
09-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Very easy to see if it has something to do with cleaning..... Stop cleaning it so much. :noidea: If dirty barrels shoot so much better why does everyone always want a clean barrel?

Robinhood
09-24-2021, 11:27 PM
Possibly Stop cleaning your bore as often. Run a #9 or Kriol wet patch after shooting. Run a dry patch or three before shooting.

wbm
09-25-2021, 01:14 AM
Life teaches us, well it tries to anyway, that "one size fits all" seldom is works...shoes or rifle barrel cleaning.

Fuj'
09-25-2021, 06:45 AM
Quite a bit of chatter about cleaning barrels as of late. Some is good advice,
and some is absolute bullshit. Some of the BR matches I go to will see shooters
cleaning between relay's and not round count. These guy's are shooting in the
one's. Your barrel will tell you when to clean and not the internet.

shotar
09-25-2021, 08:04 AM
I had the same issue while working up a groundhog load for my Axis .243. I stopped cleaning the bore, problem solved. I have not cleaned it since July. I've fired maybe a dozen shots since then and have not missed a groundhog.

hamiltonkiler
09-25-2021, 08:58 AM
I was taught by a guy.. who’s profession was to kill you on the first cold bore shot..

That a dirty barrel might not be as accurate but it was more predictable.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8mm RUM
09-25-2021, 09:27 AM
Kind of on the same tract...
I have a Marlin 1895 45/70 made when Marlin was still Marlin.
It shoots very well, I reload Hornady 300 gr At 2550 fps.

The issue is similar. First shot very high at 100 yards with a clean barrel.

No big deal I shoot a fowling shot the day before, but.
With a fowled barrel, many time several shots, when the barrel is cold it shoots 5" high every time.
The rest will cloverleaf. YOUR first shot is the money shot.
What I do is sight in with a very cold barrel. I shoot a 5 shot grout at 150 yards with 30 minutes between shots, I always get a group under an inch, I just remember the next shots will be 5" lower. AND Yes the other shots always stay in sub MOA groups also. This never changes.
I better add the gun is scoped with a good Leopold scope.

PhilC
09-25-2021, 09:30 AM
That's precisely how I hit the woods for hunting season, with a one or two shot fouled bore then dry patched. Next round always went where I expected it to.

Robinhood
09-25-2021, 09:59 AM
There is cleaning and then there is CLEANING. What are we talking about here?

wbm
09-25-2021, 10:09 AM
There is cleaning and then there is CLEANING. What are we talking about here?

+1 A very good point!

Actually the purpose of the thread to start with was I wanted to show that the stock was the problem not the setup of the rifle itself.

I was taught by a guy.. who’s profession was to kill you on the first cold bore shot

Exactly!

Also I'm talking hunting rifles here...rifles you shoot and put away for weeks or months.

wbm
09-25-2021, 10:22 AM
I was taught by a guy.. who’s profession was to kill you on the first cold bore shot.

And if that guy was a Marine, he was taught by a guy that was taught by a guy that was taught by Gunny Hatchcock a very long time ago.Semper Fi!

Whynot
09-25-2021, 06:40 PM
Everyone looks at it different.... If I had a gun that ever shot 5" different on the cold bore shot- then either the problem would be found or a new barrel would be installed.

You want to keep things consistent in your setup. Scrubbing the barrel down to bare metal creates inconsistencies... because it's going to begin to accumulate copper again and each shot will be different until it settles back in.
Do barrel maintenance- and address things before problems.... but over cleaning causes more problems than dirty barrels.

mnbogboy2
09-26-2021, 01:35 AM
Often when chronograghing every shot the flyer can be nailed down with a significantly different speed. Cold bore shots for me as a rule were slower. While speed can pick up with a squeaky clean bore.
I weight sort all brass batches and with a couple of rifles used the heavy sorts as a cold bore case and colored the headstamps with a sharpie.
If you put in the colored ones in the magazine last it would be the first chambered and shot in a hunting sitiation. Normally the reduced capacity of the heavier cases would help increase pressure/velocity to help with consistency in the batch.
Chronogragh testing verified the "heavy" case viability in combating the slow cold bore shots.
By tracking velocities & flyers as a general rule all my cases in a batch are labeled/ numbered to further analyze target/velocity strays during case prep and inspections.
Capacity checks after the fact can and might confirm earlier problems.

yobuck
09-26-2021, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Whynot;493433]Everyone looks at it different.... If I had a gun that ever shot 5" different on the cold bore shot- then either the problem would be found or a new barrel would be installed.

I suppose this pretty much sums it all up.

wbm
09-26-2021, 09:36 AM
LOL. Might want to do what I did and change stocks first. Less expensive. and labor intensive.

yobuck
09-26-2021, 10:23 AM
LOL. Might want to do what I did and change stocks first. Less expensive. and labor intensive.

Well he did say, “find the problem”. lol