PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Issues in my Model 99

batlshafe
09-05-2021, 09:44 PM
I own a Model 99A in 250 Savage that my dad bought me when I was 14 years old. When I go to the range, the first shot is high and right--significantly so. After that, everything is near center. If I clean the rifle at the range (yes, I've actually done this), and then shoot again, the first shot is high and right again. What's happening, and how do I fix it?

JimFsh
09-06-2021, 09:46 AM
. . . . .What's happening, and how do I fix it?

You don’t!
This phenomenon is NOT unusual!
In fact, for years, competition shooters would fire two or three into the berm before shooting for score.

batlshafe
09-06-2021, 12:42 PM
JimFsh, that would be fine if I was a competition shooter, but this is my deer rifle.

JimFsh
09-06-2021, 02:06 PM
As you know your rifle’s traits (clean, cold barrel), I suggest you merely aim “low and left” to bag your deer.

wbm
09-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Had a 308 in a 99 that did that. Fix? Shoot two before you go hunting. Simple and effective.

texken
10-07-2021, 11:03 AM
even for hunting, you don't clean the barrel every time you shoot, shoot till the accuracy falls off, been shooting 99's for 45+ years, learned the hard way, after cleaning you should shoot at least 1 round to season the barrel (for a better term), same as new barrel, you have to season to get it to its utmost accuracy. have shot as many as 60-70 rounds before cleaning, then shoot to get the riffling back to it best result. your rifle is telling you the same thing I am, clean 1st round high, then its back to accurate, clean 1st round high, then its back to normal. get it.