PDA

View Full Version : Torquing Action Screws

bigedp51
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Torquing Action Screws

Some rifles come with an specific allan wrench for torquing the action screws, these allen wrenchs are a spicific length and have a weight that hangs from the allen wrench and applies the correct torque. Has anyone seen these or know how to make them for a Stevens 200?

If not does anyone have a recommendation for a torque wrench for this purpose that wont break the bank or have the wife disown me this close to Xmas.

sharpshooter
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I've probably mentioned this about 3000 times on this forum, but the correct torque is "hand tight". Despite what everyone thinks and what is reccommended from Savage, and the fact that hand tight is a term with no exact definition, the torque on action screws is not that critical. The use of a little common sense will go a long way. The factory may have torque specs, but the fact is all of their assemblers turn the screws "hand tight". I saw with my own eyes at the factory several cells of workers assembling rifles in their respective stocks using no more than a hex driver with no more than a standard screwdriver handle. The fact is; if an action screw must be set at a specific torque value to shoot consistantly, there is a bedding problem, and if it must be at that particular setting to shoot accurate, chances are that it will NOT stay at that setting with changes in the temperature and humidity.
My definition of "hand tight" is tight enough to hold, but not excessive to the point of stripping out the sockets or breaking the driver. It must not be so tight that it won't break loose with out using something more that what tightened it.

Don't lose any sleep over this issue.....if you have money buring a hole in your pocket, spent it on ammo. ;D

bigedp51
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
sharpshooter

On an Enfield .303 world opinion is Gorilla tight, and when the rifle is not in use the forward trigger guard screw is to be loosened until the next shooting match. On a wooden stock humidity, temperature and other factors govern "torque" and "hand tight is not a consistent value.

Please don't frighten people away who have something to say about the question asked. ;)

And some people like torque values and consistency, and the Savage Accuracy.com disagrees with your comments. http://savageaccuracy.com/

Tuning Savage Actions Using Action Screw Torque Settings
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/03/tuning-savage-actions-using-action-screw-torque-settings/

Balljoint
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Hand tight is about 10 to 15 foot pounds, on the web site Savage Accuracy http://savageaccuracy.com/ is a write up on torquing actions screws an informative read.

bigedp51
11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Thank you Balljoint, I was an Inspector at a military overhaul depot, to get the Inspectors agitated when we asked the torque setting on what ever the mechanics were working on this was the answer.

"I tightened the nut until the threads started to smoke and then gave the nut to more full turns. :o

A friend of mine has a Silhouette rifle and the action screws are re-torqued before every match and the action screws are loosened after each match.

pbcaster45
11-26-2010, 03:00 AM
I use a Wheeler Engineering FAT Torque wrench and I've always used 30 inch pounds on my hunting rifles (just snug on the rear receiver screw). Thats' on my McMillan HTG and Factory Tupperware stocks. I didn't know about the Savage Accuracy site, looks like I was using the right torque range after all!

JD

P.S. Midway has the FAT wrench on sale this month, mine has worked great.

DGD6MM
11-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I hand tight all my Savage's. They are all bedded by me correctly. They all shoot very well out to 1000 + yards.