PDA

View Full Version : jamming just before fully chambering. Here is the fix for 110/10 and axis family

Pages : 1 [2]

JeepsAndGuns
09-19-2021, 08:52 AM
Interesting. I have had this issue on my 223 that I built a few times. I was thinking it was just the case rubbing/sticking the top edge of the chamber and causing the issue. Never thought about it being the ejector.
I may have to pick up a couple spares and give this a try.

nathantc
09-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Interesting. I have had this issue on my 223 that I built a few times. I was thinking it was just the case rubbing/sticking the top edge of the chamber and causing the issue. Never thought about it being the ejector.
I may have to pick up a couple spares and give this a try.
that is exactly what i used to think too. Thought the guy was crazy who told me it was the ejector. But if you can get it to jam, and hold it in place, you can look threw the magwell and see it plain as day sitting on the ejector. Gotta give it an angle so it will work like the latch on a household door. best way i can explain it. I cant help but cycle rounds at various speeds to try and make it do it again. It works, just cant help but expect the issue lol. You will love never having that damn lock up again.

JeepsAndGuns
09-20-2021, 12:30 PM
I ordered a couple extra ejectors, springs, and retaining pins from midway last night to have spares in case I mess one up.

nathantc
09-20-2021, 04:24 PM
I ordered a couple extra ejectors, springs, and retaining pins from midway last night to have spares in case I mess one up. i ended up making a punch from the stem of a 1/32 drill bit. A 1/16 punch is to big, and smaller than a 1/16 punch is near impossible to find. Just letting you know in advance. Also when taking them apart i used a ziplock baggie. And worked on it with the bolt and my hands in the bag. Small parts under spring pressure can get lost very easily.

JeepsAndGuns
09-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Yea I actually have a punch that is perfectly sized for the ejector pin. I have had the ejectors and extractors out of my rifles several times over the years.
I punch the pin loose, then use a empty piece of brass and place it under the extractor and compress the ejector and then push the pin out and then carefully release it. Reassembly is the same.
Have not lost one yet, but there is always a first time for everything. Plus having spare parts is always nice.

Funny, now that I think about it, I think only my short actions have done this (308 and 223). I do not remember my long action in 6.5x55 has had this issue that I can remember.

nathantc
09-21-2021, 12:48 PM
Yea I actually have a punch that is perfectly sized for the ejector pin. I have had the ejectors and extractors out of my rifles several times over the years.
I punch the pin loose, then use a empty piece of brass and place it under the extractor and compress the ejector and then push the pin out and then carefully release it. Reassembly is the same.
Have not lost one yet, but there is always a first time for everything. Plus having spare parts is always nice.

Funny, now that I think about it, I think only my short actions have done this (308 and 223). I do not remember my long action in 6.5x55 has had this issue that I can remember. my first one to ever do it, was a 6.5cm. i thought it had something to do with the angle of the shoulder or something. Then my 300PRC did it. That is most definitely a long action round.

efm77
09-22-2021, 08:13 AM
I've got a model 12LRP that tends to do that from time to time. I may have to get an extra ejector and give this a try.

mnbogboy2
09-22-2021, 09:45 AM
My loading/work bench has a wood 2x4 frame. I have a flathead screw with the head size that just fits in the bolt head recess. I use my belly to press the bolt on to that screw head, which is screwed into the bench just in front of where I sit. . With the ejector compressed o have both hands available to hold the punch and tap the retaining pin out.
O turned the punch tip down to .059 or .060 to just fit the retaining pin hole.

MikeT124
10-01-2021, 11:51 AM
I have this issue occasionally with my 110 Storm in 300WM. I think this thread should be a sticky at the top of both the 110 and Axis forums.

Mike

JeepsAndGuns
06-22-2022, 07:59 PM
Very late update. Got really busy for a long time and did not get to shoot the 223 until just a week or so after doing the ejector mod. I had actually forgot I had done it.
It was not until after shooting it a couple more times I noticed it had not jammed once.
So far I have shot probably close to 100 rounds and not one single feed/jam issue.
I did the same mod to my 308 and shot 50 rounds through it a few weeks ago without any issues as well.

nathantc
06-22-2022, 09:25 PM
Im close to three hundred rounds of 300 PRC after the modification with zero issues whatsoever. For me this was definitely the fix.

Dave Hoback
06-22-2022, 11:07 PM
Nate! Where ya been brohiem!? :confused:

nathantc
06-23-2022, 12:37 PM
been busy with other projects and work. That 300PRC is 100% finished and i'm thinking of selling it. Kinda wanting an Armalite AR50-A1.

That said i'm just about to start a major motor swap project on my M35A2. Ditching the pathetically weak multi fuel for a big block chevy. Truck is right at 2600 rpm at 60 mph. To much for a inline 6 diesel but just right for a big block chevy. That and i want the snap to be able to spin the tires when in the mud.
That said i'll be selling what is left of the 1966 Chevy C60 that im pulling the motor out of. No title on the truck but its just too nice to crush.

sure is nice owning a semi truck and trailer for picking up large toys lol

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/6hpk1n.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/mv6wxj.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/nw3bjp.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/i5ou7z.jpg

bearcatrp
06-23-2022, 01:08 PM
If your serious about selling that 300 PRC, send me a pm with some pics. Back on topic, was always told the jamming was from the floating bolt design. All of my savage bolt rifles did this. Sold all but my 308, which I’m considering selling. Will consider this fix now.

nathantc
06-23-2022, 02:54 PM
If your serious about selling that 300 PRC, send me a pm with some pics.

PM sent.