PDA

View Full Version : Alliant Reloder TS 15.5 !!

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
11-04-2021, 10:57 PM
I haven't looked, but, aren't the .308 and .300 Savage cases close enough to use the same data if the oal is the same?

Savage 94C
11-04-2021, 11:57 PM
300 Savage was the parent case for the .308. Back at the time I questioned what grain load/bullet combo's could be used for both the 250 and 300 Savage. Put feelers out on forums. Answers received back were from 'I don't know' to 'Just basically experiment'. I didn't want to take the time to do that when I had other powders available including R15, plus I'll only load established loads from manuals and online reloaders I can trust. Alliant rep basically told me the same. Alliant rep advised due to the shorter neck and lower case capacity of the 300 Savage vs the .308 was the reason why R16 (a slower burner) probably and won't work in the 300 Savage. Good enough for me, as I mentioned in my previous post, Varget, 3031, and R15 worked well for all of the loadings I was doing. My hunting with both calibers is restricted in my state for deer, out only really 'big game' animal. No bottle neck cartridges, only a dozen or so straight wall ones for rifles or use a shotgun slug. I do go after coyote's with my Ruger top tang safety M77 250 Savage, a 1" MOA killer. Have used my Savage 99G 250 with Stithe mount and Vintage Weaver 4x also which will reach out to closer range coyote. Take it out when I want to feel old timey. A accurate killer also. Other than that my 250 and 300 Savage shootin is mainly various target work.

charlie b
11-05-2021, 07:15 AM
That is the problem with many of the older cartridges. And many of us like to stick to the 'older' powders as well, sometimes for that reason. And, of course, they work and work well. I know that once I work up an accurate load I don't want to go to the trouble of changing components. These days it is worse since I frequently cannot find the powder I want so am forced to develop new loads. Which means using up more primers, which are in short supply as well.

I could just enjoy the fact that my 'troubles' are so minor, but, it is frustrating to not be able to enjoy the things I like to do. At least I can still work on sewing machines, tie flies, and fish :)