PDA

View Full Version : Missing part.........?

bigblues
08-27-2021, 04:22 PM
My son bought an Axis in .308 about a month ago. We went to the range a few days later & went through about 80 rounds. Today I took the rifle apart to install a Timney trigger. No recoil lug anywhere to be found !!
Called Savage & spoke with a very nice young woman. She said the soonest they can get it to me will be 2-3 weeks. Disappointed.....
My question is: Is it safe to fire without the recoil lug ? The rounds we already put through it didn't seem to cause any damage, but the manual says never to use the rifle without the recoil lug being in place.

prdatr
08-27-2021, 05:16 PM
Could damage it.

charlie b
08-27-2021, 08:05 PM
Without the lug all the recoil forces are on the two action screws.

Does your rifle have a stock with pillars in it (steel sleeves in the action screw holes). If so you might not do much damage shooting it. Make sure the screws are torqued down before a shooting session. I would keep shooting to a minimum, but, it would probably be ok for a zero session and hunting trip.

If no pillars then the recoil forces are going to try to bend the action screws. Not a good situation.

Me? I'd probably get out some 3/16" steel (don't remember how thick they are) and cut one out, shape with files. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

GaCop
08-28-2021, 07:23 AM
You can buy a good recoil lug on line but to install it you would need a barrel nut wrench and head space gauges.

bigblues
08-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Does your rifle have a stock with pillars in it (steel sleeves in the action screw holes).
It doesn't look like they're steel, all I see is plastic. Guess I'll wait for the part.

celltech
08-28-2021, 02:18 PM
You can use a magnet to see if there are steel pillars at least. And being an Axis, you do realize there is no lug on the action/barrel assembly? The lug stays in the stock and interfaces with the notch in the receiver.

Robinhood
08-28-2021, 02:25 PM
You can use a magnet to see if there are steel pillars at least. And being an Axis, you do realize there is no lug on the action/barrel assembly? The lug stays in the stock and interfaces with the notch in the receiver.

:cool::cool::noidea:

bigblues
08-28-2021, 05:15 PM
The only thing in the stock is an empty slot. :confusion:

wbm
08-28-2021, 09:15 PM
_.

Stumpkiller
08-28-2021, 09:42 PM
Is it safe? Yes. Will you elongate the action bolt holes and crack the stock? Yes and possibly.

All the strain of firing is being picked up on the action bolts.

bigblues
09-11-2021, 01:04 AM
Well, I finally received a package from Savage today. I thought they would just send me the recoil lug, but they sent a whole new stock. Didn't know that the lug was factory installed & couldn't just fall out. So the lug in my original stock was never installed.
Yes, it has steel pillars. Thanks to Savage for making it right. But the fact remains........if I hadn't taken it apart to install the new trigger.......?????

charlie b
09-11-2021, 11:25 AM
That's a change. My Axis the recoil lug was a loose piece of metal. Hopefully the one they install in the stocks is a little more substantial.

bigblues
09-11-2021, 06:57 PM
I actually tried to pull on the lug(very lightly)with channel locks. No Go. So I guess the lug is supposed to be permanently attached in the stock.