PDA

View Full Version : 111 Conversion 300WM to 308

MeltedButter
08-21-2021, 01:33 PM
I'm looking to convert a Savage 111 from 300WM over to .308. I'm a lefty shooter, and around where I am at least, finding a left handed bolt action has been fairly difficult. I got a really good deal on the Savage 111, but I'm a relatively new shooter, so I'd like to start with a less hefty cartridge, plus I figure that I'll need to swap the barrel out at some point anyways.

After doing a bunch of research here and online, I think I've worked out what I'll need, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting everything right so I don't blow my face off. Here's what I've worked out so far:

Parts to Replace

Barrel -> .308 Barrel
Bolt Head -> Left-Handed Long Action Bolt Head for 30-06 (same diameter as .308)

Tools

Barrel Vise
Barrel Nut Wrench
Torque Wrench
Go/No Go Gauges
Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge

The magazine of my current rifle seems to take .308 rounds fine in it's current form. In terms of safety, my understanding is that I need to make absolutely certain that I set the headspace correct with gauges, and that the firing pin does not protrude too far out.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

strut64
08-21-2021, 07:48 PM
I think you are good to go. There are some videos on You Tube to check out that will help. Once you go through it it is not difficult at all.

Dave Hoback
08-21-2021, 09:46 PM
Indeed. Quite straight forward. The videos as strut64 mentioned & a plethora of “How To” knowledge here... with many of us very willing to help because we have no lives! Oh wait.... that’s just me.:(

celltech
08-21-2021, 09:49 PM
What barrel mfg are you planning on going with?

GaCop
08-22-2021, 07:44 AM
Disregard, just saw you already tested 308 rounds in the current magazine. An added benefit you'll have using a long action is, you have more latitude in how far out you can seat bullets and still feed through the magazine.

MeltedButter
08-24-2021, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm currently waiting on some of the parts to arrive, but I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes and if I run into any trouble. @celltech, I went with an E.R. Shaw barrel I ordered off of Numrich Gun Parts, primarily because it was readily available and within my budget that I had for my rifle (at least so far). I did notice that there's different contours to the barrels; the one I ordered was 'factory contour', which I assume is the what the rifle comes with standard, right?

celltech
08-24-2021, 06:50 PM
I did notice that there's different contours to the barrels; the one I ordered was 'factory contour', which I assume is the what the rifle comes with standard, right?

They have -0- description as to what a "factory contour" is. The "standard" profile on E.R. Shaw's site looks like a pretty light hunting barrel. Hope that is what you wanted...

Orezona
08-24-2021, 09:54 PM
They have -0- description as to what a "factory contour" is. The "standard" profile on E.R. Shaw's site looks like a pretty light hunting barrel. Hope that is what you wanted...

You might want to look at Criterion and Shilen at Northland Shooters Supply. Jim is known to send out specs on the barrel contours. The specs he sent me were OD in one inch increments. All I had to do was specify which contour I was looking for. It also helped me determine weight.

And he is a sponsor of this site....

On Edit: I didn't realize you had already made the purchase. Sorry.