PDA

View Full Version : One hard kicking mule (Savage 110 7 mag)

08-20-2021, 06:54 PM
I got the rifle and scope for a decent price at a pawn shop. There was certainly no problem with the way the 7 mm magnum rifle worked or shot, but dang, did that rifle kick! Way worse than any other rifle I ever owned. This one just had that light density wood stock and the factory plastic buttplate, no recoil pad...no relief from the punishment! That gun sure put the "belt" in "belted magnum", and I was pleased to be rid of it. Good looking gun, just too much gun for me.

wbm
08-20-2021, 07:51 PM
Had the same rifle except it had the synthetic stock with a hard rubber butt plate...they do kick! I could shoot it but who the heck wants too? Then there are a lot of macho types around that try to act like it's not a big deal....reminds me of the Grail movie when the guy lost his arm and says "just a flesh wound...I've had worse."

Dave Hoback
08-20-2021, 09:46 PM
Yeah, not fun in a light sporter. Hell, my first Savage was a 110 in 30-06. I tried the 220gr loads & thought it was punishing! Just nothing to soak up the energy before the shoulder.

Another reason I love my bench gun with with some weight! Now, it’s just 260, but really doesn’t recoil. And the stock is SOLID Aluminum! I’d bet a 7mm RemMag or 300 WinMag would be quite tame through it. Especially if I put a rubber plate on the stock.

celltech
08-21-2021, 06:38 AM
My dad picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm at an auction and gave it to me. Thinking back upon it he must have been trying to tell me he hates me. It's as much fun to shoot as a cheap Remington plastic stock POS .30-06 that I have.....oh wait, he gave me the .30-06 too...

GaCop
08-21-2021, 06:39 AM
I had a Savage 110 in 7 Mag and it was a kicker too. Punishing from the bench. I ended up putting a Decelerator pad on it and it was manageable after that. Not something I wanted to shoot all day but the recoil shooting from the bench was tolerable with the pad.

PhilC
08-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Bought mine in '85 or '86, non-checkered plain jane stock, plastic butt plate, great shooter. Kick? Yeah, it's a magnum. For load testing or pre-season warm-up I'd dress as in the field or wear my PAST shooting vest. That said, I never felt a single shot on game and it's still my favorite.

It's a kitty cat compared to my 338WM which punishes in both directions.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-21-2021, 10:05 AM
Not sure what it is about the word MAG that you're not understanding. :o Just NOT fun to shoot.

Reminds me of my Black Powder Rifle that is a FACE SLAPPER.
Fire it once or twice and it NEVER comes out of the case again.

J.Baker
08-21-2021, 10:33 PM
Have never owned a magnum rifle and probably never will as I just don't see the need when a .30-06 is more than capable of dropping anything I'd ever be hunting. First '06 I had was a 60's era Savage with an aluminum butt plate that would kick the snot of of you (literally). Second was a newer 110 Storm with AccuFit stock and nice squishy recoil pad that I had no problem shooting 30-40 rounds in a row from at the bench.

Whynot
08-22-2021, 12:51 AM
Right tool for the right job.... as mentioned above- you don't notice the recoil when hunting... and if you want to sit at a bench and blast away all day then the last thing you should be using is a hunting rifle. Sometimes stock design and the way that the gun fits you can make all the difference in the world though, I had a 308 that for some reason beat me up. I would shoot 300wm and not really notice it- but that little 308 had my number (and it wasn't a light gun). It also seems that aluminum chassis transfer more recoil than a wood stock. The wood stock has some give to it- but the chassis has no give and seems to give everything it gets, but the aluminum chassis are usually heavier so that changes things.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Had a shooting buddy that died. Took it upon myself to get rid if his guns and loading gear for his wife.
His "BABY" was a custom stocked M1 Garand. Beautiful light weight Walnut stock. All Chrome plated action. He was a match shooter and NRA Judge.
Thought about keeping "his BABY" for myself but after firing it a few times, figured it would kill me with the recoil.
That thing would beat you to death. Had to go. But it sure was pretty.
Priced it for $1000.00 and put it on consignment. Gun shop owner says price is WAY TOO MUCH? Sold it in one day. ;)
His wife just about fainted when I handed her 10 ea. 100 dollar bills. Made hers and my day. :cool:

wbm
08-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Gun shop owner says price is WAY TOO MUCH? Sold it in one day.

Had a friend go "missing" in 80. He left me an issue M14 complete with selector switch. Put it on consignment and wanted 1k. Shop owner said it is a "re-weld" not an original M14 with selector switch...WAY TOO MUCH...and tried to low-ball me. Called me a few days later and said "sold it...it was not a re-weld". He got a lot more than 1K to say the least.

gbflyer
08-23-2021, 10:05 AM
Had a friend go "missing" in 80. He left me an issue M14 complete with selector switch. Put it on consignment and wanted 1k. Shop owner said it is a "re-weld" not an original M14 with selector switch...WAY TOO MUCH...and tried to low-ball me. Called me a few days later and said "sold it...it was not a re-weld". He got a lot more than 1K to say the least.

That’s awesome! What, probably $20K today for one that’s transferable?

Orezona
08-24-2021, 11:17 PM
...... I misunderstood....

nathantc
08-26-2021, 08:43 AM
I had one as well, sold it to my brother. He never could shoot it well due to developing recoil flinch. We took it and had the barrel threaded and added a OEM savage muzzle brake. Best decision for that rifle possible. Went from WTF to less than a .308. Made it a pleasure to shoot. Keeping in mind none of us have ever seen a rifle range where there are other people to bother. The design of the oem FCP muzzle brake works very well with no felt blast or percussion felt by the shooter.

Im talking about one like this for those who do not know. It also makes my 300 PRC an absolute joy to shoot which im told is supposed to have even more recoil, ive never shot it without a brake.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/4v4fis.jpg

yobuck
08-26-2021, 12:08 PM
I had one as well, sold it to my brother. He never could shoot it well due to developing recoil flinch. We took it and had the barrel threaded and added a OEM savage muzzle brake. Best decision for that rifle possible. Went from WTF to less than a .308. Made it a pleasure to shoot. Keeping in mind none of us have ever seen a rifle range where there are other people to bother. The design of the oem FCP muzzle brake works very well with no felt blast or percussion felt by the shooter.

Im talking about one like this for those who do not know. It also makes my 300 PRC an absolute joy to shoot which im told is supposed to have even more recoil, ive never shot it without a brake.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/4v4fis.jpg
They all work pretty well and turn the heavy hitters into kid stuff.
This type works best for the belly shooters however due to less dirt being blown up from holes on the bottom as some have.
From a bench it dosent matter so much as to what type.

61-63
08-30-2021, 09:46 AM
My dad picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm at an auction and gave it to me. Thinking back upon it he must have been trying to tell me he hates me. It's as much fun to shoot as a cheap Remington plastic stock POS .30-06 that I have.....oh wait, he gave me the .30-06 too...

Funny!

kappa8
09-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Yep, 7mm mags kick, but they're not benchrest rifles. They're hell to sight-in if you need to take more than 4-5 shots. But, when i took a whitetail at 326 yards, it didn't really feel bad at all. Being hunched over the stock at the bench is quite different than hunting conditions with thick jacket and sitting vertical so the recoil doesn't get bottled up.

Yep, my 7mm RM is sighted-in and a keeper! But getting it to become a shooter was not without pain or blue marks.

wbm
09-02-2021, 03:26 PM
One way to mitigate recoil, get "screamer" groups, and kill just about anything in 7MM is to go with the Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip. Great bullet! And yes they will hold up to high velocity and stay together long enough to make jello whatever they hit. Been there and done it!