PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Scope ring height for a 99 with iron sights

badcrc
08-19-2021, 03:15 PM
About 5 years ago I picked up a 99 308, serial 94X,XXX (early 60s if I remember?), with the cartridge counter, rotary mag, walnut stock, and what appears to be factory scope holes (Savage lettering on side). The stock has a crack with an ugly repair above the rear sling swivel but it's sturdy, and the bluing shows the age but there's no rust it's a nice shooter. I love this thing and wanted to take it with me for archery elk in case I see a bear so I'd like to put a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm scope on it that I have. I really like irons but where I'm going hunting we see about 30% of the bears at 200+ yards, the rest are usually less than 100 yards. With my luck I'd probably get a 300 yard shot and wish I had a scope.

What I'd really like is to use the old Weaver pivot scope mount or the bases that are taller with openings so I can use the irons if I want, but I can't figure out the height in the listings I see on ebay. The problem is the bell on the objective will sit right on top of the rear iron and Leupold's site says to use their one piece 99 base with the medium height rings for their 33mm VX Freedom. The medium rings may or may not clear the rear sight. I read on here that going with high rings or taller is a problem for cheek weld and I can see why. If anyone has mounted a scope this size with irons which rings and base did you use? Is it worth trying to use irons and a scope?

https://i.imgur.com/yPy0qqm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NIgLjMY.jpg

Model24
08-19-2021, 09:38 PM
Not to pour salt in your wounds, but there are two other challenges with scoping a 99: Ring spacing and eye relief. With a small scope, there may not be enough distance between ocular and objective bells for the rings to fit. And if there is, there will be precious little adjustment for eye relief. If you’re a big guy, it may not be a problem. I’m not, but I’m a good two inches away on a standard set-up.

I have one 99 with old-school site-thru rings. I use a strap-on riser to get a good cheek weld. I never liked the imbalance of a pivoting mount, but that is one solution.

badcrc
08-20-2021, 12:00 AM
Not to pour salt in your wounds, but there are two other challenges with scoping a 99: Ring spacing and eye relief. With a small scope, there may not be enough distance between ocular and objective bells for the rings to fit. And if there is, there will be precious little adjustment for eye relief. If you’re a big guy, it may not be a problem. I’m not, but I’m a good two inches away on a standard set-up.

I have one 99 with old-school site-thru rings. I use a strap-on riser to get a good cheek weld. I never liked the imbalance of a pivoting mount, but that is one solution.

I did check the eye relief before I posted, hard to tell if it will work but it looks like it will. There will be very little adjustment and the rings will be right at the far ends of the tube. I was wondering about the balance with the pivot rings, that doesn't seem like the best option. Looks like the best option if I want to keep irons is to use the see through rings, or a more versatile option is the EGW pic rail for $63, then a see through one piece scope mount, but then the rail and mount would probably be too high to see the irons.

Model24
08-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Looks like the best option if I want to keep irons is to use the see through rings, or a more versatile option is the EGW pic rail for $63, then a see through one piece scope mount, but then the rail and mount would probably be too high to see the irons.

Yup, the Picatinny rail plus cross bolt will almost certainly block the irons. I have a spare set of site-thrus that you’re welcome to try. Please send a PM.

99 K 30-30
08-20-2021, 09:25 AM
First of all, you don't need iron sights for your application (in fact for any).

Get this scope: Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20mm Rifle Scope 114933 is an ideal rifle scope for close-range targeting of wild hogs and other game. These precision Leupold rifle scopes are built with the revolutionary Quantum Optic System, which utilizes precision ground lenses and MultiCoat 4 lens coatings to create a clear, high brightness image every time you look through the VX-HOG.

Flip over and see thru mounts are abominations that you will never see an experienced big game hunter use.

On a 99 you want the scope as low as possible PERIOD. A straight tube scope facilitates that.

I've only been hunting with 99s for 64 years, so what do I know ?

Model24
08-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Badcrc,

I just tried to PM you, but you've disabled that function. I'm not sharing any personal information on the forum, and you shouldn't either. If you're interested in my offer, you'll need to enable PM.

Thanks!

badcrc
08-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Badcrc,

I just tried to PM you, but you've disabled that function. I'm not sharing any personal information on the forum, and you shouldn't either. If you're interested in my offer, you'll need to enable PM.

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer, but save the sights for someone that really needs them. I decided I'm just sticking with irons on this 99 because of the eye relief problem and trying to do irons and a scope would make the scope too high. That was one of the reasons I got it to start with...easy to handle, easy to hunt with, and irons for close range deer. I wanted it for this elk hunt just in case I saw a bear driving to a spot, which was every day last year, and the 99 is one of the lighter and easier to transport rifles I have, but I'll just take one of my other rifles. Appreciate the offer though!

badcrc
08-20-2021, 09:04 PM
First of all, you don't need iron sights for your application (in fact for any).

Get this scope: Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20mm Rifle Scope 114933 is an ideal rifle scope for close-range targeting of wild hogs and other game. These precision Leupold rifle scopes are built with the revolutionary Quantum Optic System, which utilizes precision ground lenses and MultiCoat 4 lens coatings to create a clear, high brightness image every time you look through the VX-HOG.

Flip over and see thru mounts are abominations that you will never see an experienced big game hunter use.

On a 99 you want the scope as low as possible PERIOD. A straight tube scope facilitates that.

I've only been hunting with 99s for 64 years, so what do I know ?

Well I got it for close range deer, and got on this idea to bring it on this hunt for mid range bears, so I think a 2-7x is perfect for that, but you're right for around my area (not where I'm going elk hunting) most game is close range, which is why I wanted this 99 to begin with, so I'm just sticking with irons.

Model24
08-20-2021, 09:28 PM
You’re very welcome! If you’re sticking with irons, I’d recommend any of the receiver sights that mount to the aft pair of holes. Big upgrade. You might be surprised at your 200 yard accuracy with an aperture sight.

99 K 30-30
08-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Amazing that anyone who has actually used iron sights vs a fast low mounted low power variable would opt for irons.

Don't see ANY of our troops who engage enemy from 15' to 400 yards using irons. HINT, HINT !

Been hunting for 6+ decades and see NO applications for iron sights on rifles.

More internet BS on display.

This was the HOT rig for 99s in the late 40s thru the 60s. 2.5X Lyman Alaskan mounted
as low as iron sights and a far faster and more accurate rig. With a post and CH acquisition was instant with everything
one the same focal plane. Rather than three w/irons,

JOC used this scope with a FIVE inch dot to kill everything with his famous 270 M70.

Even handguns today are going to red dot optics.

Gump was right.

https://i.imgur.com/5uNPaHM.jpg

badcrc
09-01-2021, 07:55 PM
Amazing that anyone who has actually used iron sights vs a fast low mounted low power variable would opt for irons.

Don't see ANY of our troops who engage enemy from 15' to 400 yards using irons. HINT, HINT !

This was the HOT rig for 99s in the late 40s thru the 60s. 2.5X Lyman Alaskan mounted
as low as iron sights and a far faster and more accurate rig. With a post and CH acquisition was instant with everything

JOC used this scope with a FIVE inch dot to kill everything with his famous 270 M70.

Gump was right.
Wow you've got issues, sorry to get you riled up. I hunt every year with irons on a muzzleloader, no problem. Lots of people used irons and still do. I'm not debating a scope would be nice, but I don't have the right scope and enough time to mess around with it this season, and I'd have to remove the rear sight and figure out the right height rings. A good scope is nice for low light and distance, I'm not denying that fact. It's also nice to have a light and short rifle when you're hiking in brush and thick woods. I've got plenty or rifles with scopes, but I just wanted the 99 in case I had a chance at a bear during archery since it's not in the best shape so I wouldn't have to worry about a couple dings. I didn't want to bring a $1500 rifle with a $1200 scope to get banged around in the truck with other guys when I'm not primarily rifle hunting. I decided to put my Vortex 2-7 on a cheapo Remington 770 and bring that so I don't have to worry about it. When I get a scope without a bell objective I'll re-visit the 99 scope project.

Big Al1
09-02-2021, 09:04 AM
Have you considered a tang sight??

Model24
09-04-2021, 05:00 PM
When I get a scope without a bell objective I'll re-visit the 99 scope project.

I think you might be frustrated in your search. Most of these 1-6 (and similar magnification & zoom range) scopes are intended for ARs, and are quite stumpy. You really don’t want to mount the front ring on the glass. You’re stuck with the same problem of not enough length to mount to and little to no eye relief adjustment. If they have a broad zoom range, they’re gonna be pricey. You could search for a vintage scope, but the optics will suck compared to a modern scope and the nitrogen, if it was ever there, will be all gone. You may wanna stick with irons.

Model24
09-04-2021, 05:28 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bwqvmsgpsvc9QHYL6

Sorry for the harsh shadows. This is is a 2-7x32 on site-thru mounts. If your stock already has a big repair, maybe you wouldn’t mind drilling through for a cheek riser.

snoeproe
11-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Gump was right.

https://i.imgur.com/5uNPaHM.jpg

All I’ve used on my 99’s are iron sights. And that’s all I want to have on them. I’ve harvested many deer without issues over the years and I prefer the look and simplicity of them. They are much better in the bush and the inclement weather that I often hunt in.
I have scopes on other rifles, but not my 99’s which are my bush guns.
As a young boy I learned to shoot strictly with iron sights. And I’m glad I did today. My son is also learning the same way. Iron sights first. Scope later when he’s older and demonstrate good skill with iron sights first. This makes him a much more versatile hunter.