PDA

View Full Version : Stock swap

KMW1954
08-17-2021, 12:53 PM
I have an older Model 10 223 with a still very nice factory stock walnut stock on it. With the rate at which I am shooting this I am nor sure how long this barrel will last and have already picked up a nice new pull Model 12 223 26" Varmint barrel to replace at some point. But to do that I will need to alter the stock to fit the heavy barrel. So from a strictly monetary view point would it be better to modify the original stock or buy an aftermarket like a Boyds and preserve the original stock? I guess the question is does the original wood Savage stock have any value?

Dave Hoback
08-17-2021, 01:00 PM
Not really. It has value to those who like a stock Savage. Therefore, modifying/bedding is most economical. Performance wise, a modern aftermarket stock with pillar bedding or full Aluminum block is best.

olddav
08-17-2021, 01:01 PM
I would just open the barrel channel on the original stock with a deep well socket and some 80 grit paper. At least that what I did with mine.

KMW1954
08-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I ask because if there is any value to the old stock I would prefer to leave it. It is not bedded nor pillars. Also I see Boyds has a Thumb Hole stock in their Rapid Fire listings that fits this for just $102.00 and it already is channeled for a bull barrel. Would also feel less intimidated trying to pillar bed this aftermarket for some reason.

olddav
08-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Other than warranty issues I can’t think of any reason not to purchase , install pillars and glass bed the stick you spoke of.

mnbogboy2
08-23-2021, 09:46 PM
Not really. It has value to those who like a stock Savage. Therefore, modifying/bedding is most economical. Performance wise, a modern aftermarket stock with pillar bedding or full Aluminum block is best.
I have refinished and bedded 3 of the old wood stocks and rebarreled 110 actions in 243 for 3 of my grandkids. The finish out real nice after staining. I made a stain out of red clothes dye and alcohol for my granddaughter. It ended up with a pinkish hew to it.
She calls it "pinky". I bought her a nice sling with pink in it and it sets the stock color off real nice. She killed a black bear and several whitetails with her 243 and really likes how it shoots.
I have 2 more of those wood stocks waiting for refinishing in the safe.
One was from a long action ad the other from a 5.27". I converted the short one to long action.
The finish comes off well with zip strip and a puffy knife.
I bed everything with pc2. These factory wood stocks all seem to end up as good shooters.

KMW1954
08-23-2021, 10:17 PM
Just so happens that today I received a Boyd's Thumb Hole stock from their Rapid Fire page. It did just drop in as advertised. Being as it a returned to stock or cancelled order there are a couple of dings in the fore end.

Now with the barreled action in the stock I realized what I expected. I just don't find the Thumb Hole comfortable. Or at least not this one.

Dave Hoback
08-23-2021, 11:19 PM
So why’d you get a thumb hole stock when you had reservation it would not be comfortable for you? Was it simply the price?

BTW, still recommend bedding. And bedding W/ Aluminum pillars is a double PLUS!

KMW1954
08-24-2021, 01:11 AM
So why’d you get a thumb hole stock when you had reservation it would not be comfortable for you? Was it simply the price?

BTW, still recommend bedding. And bedding W/ Aluminum pillars is a double PLUS!
`
Correct. basically the price and it is already cut for the Varmint barrel, which I already have.. I think I am going to try shooting this just to see if it is more comfortable once it's on the bench. For some reason this thumb hole just doesn't feel right. Like there is an odd angle to it with an edge inside the hole. I have handled a number of savage rifles with the factory Boyds stocks on them and tehy did feel this way.

Dave Hoback
08-24-2021, 02:01 PM
Well shoot.... break out the Dremel, wood files & sandpaper. And start shaping until it’s a more comfortable fit for you my friend. If you’ve never done, it may seem a daunting task. But it’s really quite straight forward. It shapes easily and no problem to refinish.

KMW1954
08-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Two things I've noticed today. The backside, exit side, of the thumbhole has a sharp corner on it and in what would be a natural position for me the reach to the trigger seams a bit long.