PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 LE ?

Shooter0302
08-15-2021, 11:01 AM
Just picked up a Savage 10 LE, that's what the seller listed it as. Since I couldn't find anything on it on the Savage Arms web site I figure it must be one of the rifles built for the "big box" stores ? Haven't had a change to take it to the range, but I guess I can see calling something a LE and equipping it with just a 4 round DBM, but why use a large shank on a 6.5 CM ? when I see Northland listing an OME barrel in 300 Win.mag with a small shank ?

Dave Hoback
08-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Hmm... would need to see a picture. Every 10LE I’ve seen has been been small shank. The Large Shank started in 2001 for the WSM cartridges. It’s now relegated for those & other magnums, the 12 Target Actions & the 10/110 BA platforms. I’ve never known an 10LE to be a Large shank.

And yes, the Small Shank works perfectly fine with the big Magnums.

Shooter0302
08-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Dave, I stand corrected, broke out a dial caliper and the POS slick barrel nut ** measured .875 (+ -). My plan ,for when the Temps. drop below 90* is to see how the Bbl. shoots, if it's close to MOA I'll pull the Bbl. and save it and sell what's left, if not I'll convert it back to the 4 shot dbm, and let some deer hunter hump this around.
** by now the person that came up with the slick barrel nut and plastic trigger guard with the bottom bolt release has probably been promoted to a Sr. VP position.

Dave Hoback
08-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Gotchya... yes, the slick barrel nut can be deceiving when used to seeing the grooves type. You’re not the first to confuse it as being Lg Shank.

Let me ask you, what was the intended purpose in your purchasing this rifle? I can’t see your insight in keeping the barrel, but seeing the Action.

Shooter0302
08-15-2021, 03:07 PM
It came as a package deal with dies, brass, and bullets. Everything was worth more that the rifle, so rifle + free goodies or goodies + free rifle.
I like the looks of the OME brake, how effective it is remains to be seen for sub 90* weather.
The rifle is Rt. hand and I'm Lt. handed, not a big problem unless I'm using a T shaped bench, then I'll rig up some form of brass catcher.
If the bbl. is a MOA keeper,I figure I can get an OME Bbl from Northland and then sell the rifle to someone looking for a deer rifle or to someone looking for a "project" rifle that wants to get his own Bbl.

CFJunkie
08-15-2021, 08:12 PM
I believe that the seller gave you the orientation of a series of rifles rather than the model number of your particular rifle.

I have two Savage 10 rifles that are designated as Law Enforcement models but they have model designations of 10 FP and 10 FCP-K. The 10 FCP was also a Law Enforcement model.

My 10 FP is a 2008 vintage .308 with 24-inch barrel with a hidden mag and came with a synthetic stock without an aluminum rail.
My 10 FCP-K is a 2011 vintage .308 with a 24-inch barrel and a 2-inch muzzle brake and has an Accu-stock with an aluminum rail and a detachable mag.
My son has two 10 FCP-Ks one in .308 and one in .223, both with 24-inch barrels and muzzle brakes.

My range buddy has a 2009/2010 vintage 10 FCP .308 with a 22-inch barrel with an Accu-stock with the aluminum rail and detachable mag.

I think there were lots of different Law Enforcement models that were designated as Model 10s with an F series designation.

Dave Hoback
08-16-2021, 11:48 AM
CFJunkie is correct. “LE” was the generic for several FP, FCP, etc. models.. some with muzzle brake, some without. Different stocks, etc. However, all were Model 10s in Small Shank.

Shooter0302
08-16-2021, 03:58 PM
all I know is that this rifle has a Savage varmint Wt. fluted Bbl. [.850"] just before the brake. It's chambered in 6.5 CM and has a small shank which will make it easy to find a replacement bbl. turning it into a "deer rifle", if the barrel on it now proves to be a keeper.

CFJunkie
08-17-2021, 06:50 AM
If it has a muzzle brake, it would normally have the designation -K after the model letters.
If it has a detachable magazine it would normally have the designation C after the F.

Hence my hidden mag version without the muzzle brake was an 10 FP and the detachable mag version with a muzzle brake was a 10 FCP-K.
I think the P was for the synthetic stock, but my memory fails me on that one.
The older 10 FP with an upper bolt release was built before the Accu-stock was introduced.
The 10 FCP-K has an Accu-stock with a lower bolt release.

I believe by around 2016 or so, Savage would have probably produced it in 6.5 CM.
I believe Savage even made a version with an AICS mag but still was called an 10 FCP. It might have come with a muzzle brake.

The serial number will tell you when it was manufactured and Savage can identify the model from the serial number.

jkv45
08-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Speaking of Model 10s -

I have never figured out Savage's model lettering.

I have a Model 10 FCP HS Precision, which obviously has the HS Precision stock, DBM, lower bolt release, and the non -threaded heavy barrel in .308.

So "C" is for the DBM

What does the "F" and "P" designate?

Thanks.

PhilC
08-18-2021, 09:27 AM
F = synthetic stock
P = Police

FAQ topic for the alphabet soup (https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?262-Savage-Centerfire-Model-and-Letter-Designations).

jkv45
08-18-2021, 09:49 AM
F = synthetic stock
P = Police

FAQ topic for the alphabet soup (https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?262-Savage-Centerfire-Model-and-Letter-Designations).
Interesting that they still designate it with a "F" even though it has a different (HS Precision, non-synthetic) stock.

EDIT: I was surprised that my Model 10 FCP did not come with the extended "Tactical" bolt handle.

Wm Cook
08-24-2021, 11:45 PM
That was interesting. Now I know what the FCP stands for with my 10 FCP (aluminum rail). Mfg date around 2019.

I hate to sound really really stupid but could some broad brush describe the differences between the models 10, 11 and 12?

Dave Hoback
08-25-2021, 06:52 AM
It’s a difference of barrel contours, stocks & finishes. They are all the same basic Action, ie., the internal parts are the same, all take the same barrel, barrel nut, recoil buffer.

Wm Cook
08-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Mine is an 10 FCP with the skeleton aluminum rail.

So:
- F stands for fiberglass
- C stands for detachable magazine
- P stands for Police

it has a Varmint barrel and the oversized bolt handle. Possibly that’s what makes it a “10”. Maybe someone knows the unique identifier features that make a 11 an 11, a 12 a 12 and such. I know the hot setup for cast benchrest is a 12BV and that doesn’t have a detachable magazine.

And I’m guessing that on a BV:
- “V” stands for varmint
- “B” stands for blind?

I can imagine the marketing of the blind action as being more rigid/accurate. Haven’t shot my 10FCP yet but it’s getting some work on it to chase accuracy.

Still puzzled about the differences between a 10, 11, 12. The alpha characters tell the story about Police, stock, barrel, magazine but can anyone tell me what makes a 10 a 10, a 11 a 11, a 12 a 12?

Are all small shank Savage actions produced in the last 3 years the same?

Dave Hoback
08-25-2021, 11:56 AM
I just told you. The Actions are the same. Yours is a 10FCP, because there IS NO 11FCP! Or 12fcp, 116fcp, etc... The ONLY two actions are the 10/110 series & 12 Target, which is the single shot 3-screw, hooded Action. It’s regarded as built beefier and highest potential of accuracy. All the others are distinguished by the features. What barrel, stock, finish, magazine, etc. and etc. The 116 is called the “Weather Warrior” because it’s all stainless in a grey laminate stock. Beautiful rifle. Had one years ago. It is the 116 because NO 110 was offered with those features. Although the Action itself is IDENTICAL to a 110.

charlie b
08-27-2021, 08:19 AM
Savage has changed their model numbers/names several times now. There is a sticky that has some of the info. Some of the letters remained consistent, some did not. Combine that with special runs for different distributors and there is a hodge podge out there. Very difficult to navigate when buying used rifles without inspecting them.

A few years ago the numbers were used to distinguish between various 'types' of rifles, like the 16/116 stainless. The 12/112 series is still the 'target' line. The other models (11, 16) now seem to be 10/110 with different names to denote features. The 12's are varied. Everything from single shot with no magazine cutout, small ejection port, large shank barrel to a magazine action with 'open top' and small shank barrel. They may be blued or stainless.

Most of the time the 10/11/16 receivers are the same with small shank barrels. There are exceptions so be diligent. Even the distributors sometimes mess up their product descriptions.

charlie b
08-27-2021, 08:25 AM
Interesting that they still designate it with a "F" even though it has a different (HS Precision, non-synthetic) stock.

EDIT: I was surprised that my Model 10 FCP did not come with the extended "Tactical" bolt handle.

Yep, a 10FCP may not be a 10FCP :) The complete designation includes the stock description, 10FCP HS Precision.