PDA

View Full Version : Copper Plate .22 LR Ammo

MacDent
08-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Another ammo question. Does anyone make STANDARD velocity copper-plated .22 LR ammo? I can't seem to find any. Or does a copper-plated bullet require a higher velocity load? Thanks.

Fasteddie01
08-13-2021, 08:10 PM
Hi again :rolleyes: What do you want "Copper-plated" ammo for? Bling ? It doesn't shoot better, generally, tho all I've seen is like the HV CCI-MM, etc. The 'plain lead' is a better lubricant than the copper-wash. I believe the main reason copper is used on Hyper and magnum rimfire is the higher velocity would tend to 'lead-up' the barrels more from the friction/heat. I'd suggest you just buy the best SV you can afford to use regularly, maybe 2 boxes each of 2-3 brands. Then you can see which is most accurate in your rifle. If you look at competition target shooters on this and other forums, you'll see most of them stick with SV that costs from $5(for practice) and $15-20 & up per box. Just a Warning - I bought some of the Herters .22 HV-HP 'cause it was cheaper than CCI-HV (when I was trying various brands) - I feel it's cr--. I've heard it's just Win 522 boxed for Herters. Don't know for sure, but whatever, it's not very good in any of my rifles.
Good luck on your shopping -
Ed

243winxb
08-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Copper coating is Lubaloy C41100. More for high velocity. Just anotner way to lube 22lr ammo.

Bullets may be pure lead to 2% antimony alloy. Coatings can be wax or a coating of antimony.

When testing different brands/lubes for accuracy, always clean the barrel before trying the next brand/lot. OR fire 10 fouling shot to condition the barrel with the new lube.

Some lubes dont play well together.

https://youtu.be/5MyYpM56Eo8

MacDent
08-13-2021, 11:35 PM
Thanx, guys. Excellent. Much useful info.

I have an A22 that I'm finally starting to explore. I'm trying various ammo, seeing what works best. Every copper-plate ammo that I've come across is high velocity. So I'm wondering if copper-plate requires high velocity. I'm just trying to learn.

OK, so does copper-plate ammo require higher velocity? If so, why? If not, why isn't there any standard velocity copper plate out there?

Thanx again.

Fasteddie01
08-13-2021, 11:47 PM
Maybe just 'Why bother" putting 'plate' on SV if it's not needed, Lead is a lubricant. Re SV 'copper-plate' bullets. you seem to be looking at this backward. Copper plate when not necessary is mostly so it looks like a "Real Bullet", like on TV.
Marketing 101 - The Real Deal

MacDent
08-14-2021, 12:18 AM
OK, I'll try the question one more time, then I'll move on. Let's re-phrase it: Why are copper-plate bullets only used with high velocity loads? If anyone knows the reason, please advise. Thank you.

243winxb
08-14-2021, 09:15 AM
From GOOGLE- Copper plated advantage is for semi-autos to reduce gunk in action from buildup of waxy or greasy bullet lubes. (Rapid fire from auto load rifles, produce more HEAT)

it tends to control fouling better in the bore.

Traditionally, standard production 22 rimfire barrels often have rough bores with lots of striation marks (scratches from the machining process). As each round is fired, these striation marks work like a file and remove a little of the bullet's circumference. After several shots, the striation marks fill in with copper or brass coating, leaving a nice smooth surface that enhances accuracy. Many people will fire a half dozen fouling shots from a clean bore to "condition" it before competing or sighting in a scope. If the bore has excessive striation marks, fouling will build up, even with washed bullets and are especially bad with "bare lead" bullets.
https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/copper-plated-vs-lrn.59818/

I will add this- Barrel time, the longer the bullet is in a 22" rifle barrel, the more HEAT from friction there is. High velocity adds more HEAT . The copper wash provides more protection from leading of pure lead or alloys when the lube /wax fails.
Copper wash simply makes a stronger bullet.

This is my best guess.

243winxb
08-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Ask the question here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

May get a better answer? :smile-new:

Or more google https://www.google.com/search?q=why+copper+washed+bullets+rimfire+central&newwindow=1&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-home&sxsrf=ALeKk00yvVPsrnDKz5iT2xIRQOaBi0HsNw%3A1628947 565005&source=hp&ei=bMQXYYTvOcyv5NoPt5KbqAs&oq=why+copper+wash+bullets++Rimfirecentr&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBABGAEyBwghEAoQoAE yBwghEAoQqwI6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjA joRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6CwguEIAEEMcBEKMCOggIABC ABBCxAzoFCAAQgAQ6DgguEIAEELEDEIMBEJMCOgsILhCxAxDHA RCjAjoICC4QsQMQgwE6CwguEIAEELEDEJMCOgUILhCABDoGCAA QFhAeOgUIABCGAzoFCCEQoAE6BQghEKsCOggIIRAWEB0QHjoFC AAQzQJQ9BRYh7MBYO39AWgCcAB4AIABkAOIAb0qkgEKNi4yNS4 yLjIuMZgBAKABAbABAA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

MacDent
08-14-2021, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I hadn't heard of "rimfire central". Must join. Thanks again.

hamiltonkiler
08-14-2021, 10:24 AM
.22lr is a deep deep hole.

I bought a 10/22 about 3yrs ago and have since spent more money on it that I want to claim.
Trigger, new barrel, modded bolt by CPC
A silly optic for a .22lr

But.. I love it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210814/12bf43512721bd93fb1a9ba6653504b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacDent
08-14-2021, 12:28 PM
hamilton,
Beautiful gun. Heard good things about the 10/22 also. I considered 3 or 4 22's. Did an eeny/meeny to decide.