PDA

View Full Version : 110 Elite Precision Muzzle Brake Help

Tallawa2
08-13-2021, 10:53 AM
My new Savage Elite is my first rifle using a Muzzle Brake. After browsing YouTube videos on removal/cleaning of Brakes, I am still unsure on how to remove the device. If there are any fellow Elite Precision owners who have been able to remove/replace the brake and can pass along any info on doing so, I would appreciate. The rifle spec sheet does state it is a self timed unit. The manual supplied is not specifically for this model rifle and so the schematics show a brake using a crush washer, which I believe is not what is installed on the Elite.
My call into Savage Tech support did not fear well as I learned that the device is a third party unit, the manufacturer could not be revealed to me, and I could take it to a gunsmith to have it removed. TIA.

https://i.ibb.co/718ntmB/Elite-Brake.jpg (https://ibb.co/HH1tT8R)

Dave Hoback
08-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Why do you feel the need to remove it? It’s a muzzle attachment. It doesn’t have a “bore” like the barrel. The exit is physically larger & has no rifling. Just clean it installed. No need to remove unless you let the cleaning lapse round after round of shooting.

efm77
08-13-2021, 02:02 PM
Some folks like to remove them to make it easier to get to the crown and get it cleaned. I, myself, won't do it anymore unless it's an Area 419 brake where it has the tapered lock to time it. Getting them leveled, timed, and torqued is too much of a pain IMHO to do it often. Now, when I clean, the first thing I do is turn the rifle upside down and put the brake/muzzle submerged in a jar of either Boretech C4 or old fashioned Hoppes No 9. I leave it in there for several hours or sometimes until the next day to soak and loosen the carbon. Then I just scrub/wipe it out with patches, brushes, and swabs. I can even reach the crown this way too. Once that's done, then I start with the rest of the cleaning. Hose it down with a good oil, especially around the crown and threads to flush out the solvent and then wipe it off. Then run another patch out the barrel to get any excess out of the bore.

Dave Hoback
08-13-2021, 05:14 PM
Soaking is a great idea. I just clean em out. Now, I don’t run brakes on my bolt rifles, but every AR I’ve built, except my first one, had a muzzle attachment. Combination of Flashhiders & Brakes & Comps. Never removed a single one for cleaning. Same thing. Too much trouble messing with the crush washer just to clean em. Never had a problem keeping them pretty spotless.

wbm
08-13-2021, 05:47 PM
+1.

Beowoulf2000
08-13-2021, 08:25 PM
Regardless of your maintenance routine, if you simply want the technical specs for the muzzle brake, try calling MDT instead. It’s pure speculation on my part but it’s possible MDT built the brake to Savage specs. MDT already has a few accessories and add-ons with the “Elite” moniker including a muzzle brake. From website pictures it’s a different design than the one on your Savage.
Anyway, might be worth a call.

RCE1
08-14-2021, 09:09 PM
I believe the part that looks like a lock nut is a lock nut. You would turn it toward the barrel flange till pressure on the outboard part is relieved. The design allows some tuning of the brake if so desired.

There's some video of similar concept design, although what's illustrated is a different brake.

Tallawa2
08-22-2021, 10:08 PM
Thanks to all for your respective ideas and input.
Definitely makes me rethink my OCD for taking stuff apart just to see how they're put together.
Turns out Savage is ok with releasing the tech specs. You just have to be a licensed Gun Smith and
as this part is classified as a "Gun Smith" item...…access is denied.

RCE1
08-22-2021, 11:42 PM
No offense, but did you try putting a padded adjustable wrench on the lock nut with the barrel securely held in a padded vise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-h2GMbuUw