PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a project rifle

DaveG303
08-11-2021, 10:50 PM
Thanks for letting me join.

I’m moderately experienced shooting and reloading. My elk hunting skills probably land me in the inept category but I get out and have fun. My interest in Savage rifles is the possibility of building a project gun that can be used for everything smaller than elk.

Phreddie30.06
08-11-2021, 11:57 PM
Thanks for letting me join.

I’m moderately experienced shooting and reloading. My elk hunting skills probably land me in the inept category but I get out and have fun. My interest in Savage rifles is the possibility of building a project gun that can be used for everything smaller than elk.Welcome from colorful Colorado

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GaCop
08-12-2021, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the group. What calibers are you considering for your build? 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm/08 and 308 come to mind.

drybean
08-12-2021, 08:58 AM
Welcome aboard

ragsflh
08-12-2021, 09:06 AM
welcome aboard

DaveG303
08-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the group. What calibers are you considering for your build? 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm/08 and 308 come to mind.

I like the looks of the 110 Storm. The ability to shorten the length of pull is helpful for someone who’s a bit below average height. The ability to interchange bolt heads is a really nice feature that’s leading me toward using a Savage. My thoughts on the ideal calibers are that a .308 Winchester is a solid choice, especially since I already load it for an AR. With a 20 - 22” barrel, it makes a nice choice for hunting elk in dense cover. A 7mm-08 isn’t a bad choice either.

The other round I’m considering is a 6.5 PRC. It looks like an outstanding choice for antelope or if I manage to draw a sheep tag before I’m too old to hunt one. What I need to find out is if there’s a difference that would cause any issues with feeding due to the difference in the diameter of the cases. Changing a magazine isn’t an issue. Removing metal from the receiver isn’t appealing to me.

ragsflh
08-13-2021, 08:04 AM
welcome aboard

GaCop
08-15-2021, 07:22 AM
I like the looks of the 110 Storm. The ability to shorten the length of pull is helpful for someone who’s a bit below average height. The ability to interchange bolt heads is a really nice feature that’s leading me toward using a Savage. My thoughts on the ideal calibers are that a .308 Winchester is a solid choice, especially since I already load it for an AR. With a 20 - 22” barrel, it makes a nice choice for hunting elk in dense cover. A 7mm-08 isn’t a bad choice either.

The other round I’m considering is a 6.5 PRC. It looks like an outstanding choice for antelope or if I manage to draw a sheep tag before I’m too old to hunt one. What I need to find out is if there’s a difference that would cause any issues with feeding due to the difference in the diameter of the cases. Changing a magazine isn’t an issue. Removing metal from the receiver isn’t appealing to me. The PRC would require a magnum bolt head but will work in a short action. It may feed from a standard mag but would probably hold one less round. The other two calibers would work just fine in a short action too. The 6.5 PRC outclasses the 308 and 7mm/08 for long range and heavier game hunting but has substantially more recoil too.