PDA

View Full Version : Choate tactical painting problems

Pages : [1] 2

2guard
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else had problems painting the choate tactical rynite stocks? I have two of them and I have sanded, sealed and primed, and painted two of them (twice) without any success. I have used automotive etching primer for fiberglass and also general auto prime, but cant seem to get anything to adhere properly. I have painted many stocks and never had problems before, so is there any tips or tricks anyone can give me?
should I go with duracoat?

tinkerer
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Try Krylon Fusion. Better for plastic, works great on Savage stocks.

Larry
Tinkerer

tomme boy
11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Take a propane torch and run it over the stock. Don't melt it, just enough to warm it up. While it is still warm, prime it. This is how we do our duck decoys. If you don't do this the paint comes off very easy.

What kind of etching primer did you use? I use to sell DuPont and PPG. Just wondering.

2guard
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
never tried adding heat before painting, I'll have to try it before I paint the next one. I'm testing some plastic primer my brother recommended on one of the stocks currently.
I used dupont etching (a4119s). I had never heard of using etching on plastics before, but a guy I know that builds rat rods said he has used it on fenders and bumpers and it works well (he also adds flex stuff, elastomeric or something).

I hear the rynite is nearly industructible has better heat/cold properties than fiberglass, but I am really hating it right now.

bigedp51
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
The stock is made of DuPont Rynite SST-35. It is said to be one of most suitable polymers for gun stocks as well as one of the most expensive. They mold the stock in dark O.D. green color, but black and camo are available. Rynite takes paint very well so you can paint your stock with almost any automotive spray can paint.

http://www.oegmag.com/ChoateMachineandToolUltimateSniperStock.html

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/lots-of-paint.jpg

From left to right is 220 grit fine sand paper, Dupli-Color “Adhesion Promoter”, Krylon 1318 All Purpose Primer Gray, Krylon 8141 Khaki Ultra-Flat, Krylon 8142 Brown Ultra-Flat, Krylon 8143 Olive Drab Ultra-Flat, Krylon 8140 Black Ultra-Flat, and Krylon 8149 Light Gray “Special Purpose” Camouflage. It was a little tricky assembling them all. If I remember correctly the 4 cans of Ultra-Flat came as a package purchased somewhere online. The Adhesion Promoter and Primer I purchased at a local auto parts store. The Krylon special purpose light gray I ordered as an individual can – somewhere online.

http://www.shtfblog.com/how-to-paint-your-rifle-digital-camouflage/

http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en_US/news_events/article20030624h.html

http://plastics.dupont.com/V3plastics/products/rynite/am_datasheets.html

Blue Avenger
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
LOL Had one i pealed off all the old paint with blue masking tape. Think I even used adhesion promoter. But I know that I did not follow the dry time between coats properly. second time around I went the long route. week between coats. that hurts when you want to go shoot it NOW!

snowgetter1
11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I have painted alot of guns with spray paint, krylon, and with duracoat. Duracoat is somewhat tough but it can still come off. I now take a sander with rough grit to stocks. They look bad but it adds alot of texture. Then I just sand the roughness out with fine grit after it is painted. It is extremely important though to clean the plastic first. I just use carb cleaner. I also sand the metal. I like duracoat because you can mix colors and the tactical colors are really good. To me duracoat is worth the cost.

2guard
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
thanks everyone.
The plastic primer I tested seems to work, had a few small areas peel that I had to hand paint before I cleared the stock. I have tried the automotive rattle can stuff, and it still didnt work even with the two types of primer I listed above. I sanded the stocks with a 120 grit and then 220 and sparyed the plastic primer after cleaning the stock with denatured alcohol (I have used it with success, and have heard some of the other prep chemicals can leave a residue on plastic). I laid down two coats of primer and let it dry over night. It seems to have worked well. I may try the adhesion promoter that bigedp51 mentioned on the next one under the primer. As for the spray paint, I have used the krylon and rustoleum and had success before, but not on the choates. Im placing an order at midway this week, and will probably just order some duracoat to lay down as a base layer if nothing else. Not going to be using one of the stocks until my barrel gets here, so I can test different things on it.

tomme boy
11-24-2010, 09:24 PM
If it comes out of a spray can it is junk. Look into DuPont 615 variprime. It is a nasty primer to breath so make sure you have a mask. One of the plastics we had a hard time with at first was TPO. I think it is the name for it anyway. The way to check if it was TPO was to take a sliver of it an drop it into a glass of water. If it floated it was TPO. So we had to use a self etching primer to get the adhesion we needed for the next primer/sealer to hold onto. But, this was 15 years ago. If you have the capability to spray this then I would check into it.

I also sold a lot of epoxy primer that would work for this. PPG was the maker an DP401 was the primer. This is very costly stuff.

The torch was to get rid of the Mold release that is in and on the stock.

2guard
11-26-2010, 04:51 PM
finished this up earlier this week. Going to try the PPG dp401, my brother is good friends with a ppg dealer and gets a good break on most of their stuff. Will be prepping the second stock toward the end of next week. thanks for all the insight and recommendations.
I was interested in how this camo pattern would turn out, it's a variation of the Nighthawk custom pattern I saw in a magazine. I like the look of it, but wish I had of went with brown instead of black.
Anyone know of a aftermarket recoil pad made for these stocks? I really hate the ones these come with. I much prefer the pachmayr decelerator pad that is on the b&c medalist.
http://i54.tinypic.com/23wjwgk.jpg

cleatus
12-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I did nothing particularly special in painting mine. I did wipe it with acetone to remove any molding release agents, and scuffed it with sand paper. I shot it with some red primer I had lying around. Then layered up different colors of krylon flat. It has held up extremely well this hunting season, riding in a gun rack on an atv.
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af69/cleatus5/DSCN0002modified-1.jpg

GaCop
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Krylon works well especially when protected by two or three coats of flat clear. The flat clear darkens the camo colors slightly so they don't look washed out from over spray.

quickkillaught6
02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
This is nothing personal but im gonna ask 2Guard , a question here. I hunt coyotes. and shoot pd. I understand it is personal prefrence so please take no offense just trying to undersand the reasoning here. YOU HAVE A 26INCH CHROME SMOKE STACK hangin off very well painted stock might i add. I dont understand why guys take 4 weeks to prep and paint a stock and then leave a great big nasty 26 inch chrome smoke stack hanging off the end of it? I have a sav. 30-06 light weight that i used krylon on TOP TO BOTTOM the (at the time) $600 dollar 4200ellite scope included. primer in a dark color or grey so if it gets nicked its still a neutral color. It stung a bit paintin a brand new scope but my thery is if its just a tool which imo IT is to do a job and you spend the time to camo up to do that job. If it were a bench gun that is all auto painted and purdy ok but to drag through the woods a gun aint nothing buta heavy stick without bullets. I just picked up a 12 fvss an my buddy came over and asked me what my plans were for it i said same as that one and pointed to my 06 he came apart. I said what good is camoing a stock when you have a disco strapped in on top of it? hes like well so im just trying to undersand the logic here

2guard
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Well that was my old 300wsm and I just had it in the stock for pictures, but my new one isnt much better. This was the action and barrel I painted the stock up for:
http://i51.tinypic.com/vwva79.jpg
Its a cheap stevens action, that I purchased from another member here, that has black duracoat on it. The barrel is an 18" mcgowen no taper, 1" at muzzle matte stainless. I don't hunt, just shoot paper, so the camo has no real purpose, other than I like camo better than the candy colored bench guns I see. I also own a graphic design and sign company, and it is really easy for me to make stencils for camo patterns for my stocks. I saw a pattern similar to mine on a nighthawk tactical rifle and really liked it, so I drew it up on the computer and cut it out in vinyl stencils and painted my stock. I definitely wouldnt want to lug this thing around in the woods, its about 11.5 lbs (still lighter than my 6.5 creedmoor with a 26" barrel at 18+lbs), and if I needed actual camo, it would be sprayed flat whatever to match where I was. The camo is to please me, because most of the time I go to my parents farm and shoot and no one sees it. I had planned on painting the barrel on this one, but may have the action and barrel duracoated OD green, saw some barrels and actions over at snipershide in OD and liked them. My 6.5, however will remain polished stainless like the action. Its in a basic OD green stock, no pattern on it (yet).

I think our guns are like cars (I'm a car guy too), they dont have to be a certain color or have X amount of hp (or leather interior, chrome, wheels, etc, etc), but we dress them up according to our own personal preferences, which tend to reflect our personalities usually (yeah, I majored in industrial/organiztional psych in college). We all strive for accuracy, and we will always have that in common when we shoot no matter what our paintjobs say otherwise about us.

GaCop
02-17-2011, 07:03 AM
I like the pattern on that stock. I wouldn't mind having a stencil set in the future for my up coming 6.5 Lapua build.

quickkillaught6
02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I understand 2Guard i was just trying to understand what exactly the reasoning was. Im glad no one jumped on me for asking. You are true though that is personal prefrence its just kinda fun to watch the younger guys im not too old but the YOUnger guys take the time to paint the stock or tape it and then leave the chrome on top. My g/f's brother was the same way hes gota rem.700 204 26" stick ss. and took it to a coyote comp. He was a bit peaved to say the least when he woke up from a nap only to find his mirror was covered in camo tape ;D i told him if he was gonna carry it in the woods he could stay at the house. But in all sakes of fairness different jokes for different folks.

2guard
02-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I like being considered one of the younger guys, I'm 37.
Here's the other stainless barrel/action, its a 6.5 creedmoor, next to the camo 308:

http://i52.tinypic.com/eqrwuq.jpg

11fcns
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
2guard, you seem to really like those Choate Tactical stocks. do you find them heavy? what made you decide on that one with all the others out there?

2guard
02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
They are heavy, almost 4 lbs. They green choate is a long action and was the only la stock I could get at the time without waiting 2 months or more. The camo stock was bought because I got a really good deal on it. It was on another forum for $160 shipped, and I offered the guy $140 shipped and he took it. It was in excellent shape, but painted an ugly, metallic green. I had planned on painting it anyway so it really did not bother me, especially for $140.
The choate stocks have grown on me. I like the palm swell and adjustable spacers for length (I have large hands, long fingers and long arms), and the rail is handy on the front. The recoil pad is horrible and I am thinking about buying a couple of pachmayr decelerator grind to fits for the pair. I miss the one I had on my sa B&C stock. The sling swivel placement is ok, but I think I like it on the bottom of the forearm better. I also like that the barrel channel was large enough for the 1" no taper barrels I used on both of the builds without having to trim/sand anything. I think the choates are a great value for a tactical style stock. That said, I am looking for used mcmillans all the time, they are still superior to the choates.

quickkillaught6
02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
well fellas as soon as i figure out how in the heal to insert a pic i can show you my first we'll say accesoried savage. lol i dont consider a stock and bases built but im not done with it just yet. I will however have my 30-06 on the chopin block before too long to rebarrel and install another choate stock.. I am with 2guard. I installed a choate on my 12 and LOVE it..... is it heavy HEAL yea can i beat the %*#t out of someone with it YEA lol if the gun aint solid it just wont shoot. i bought the one with the open buttstock and flat forend. its a jewel and cant wait to get it shooting so i can paint it. Im kinda lax on time and funds and didnt wana paint up a gun that didnt shoot anyone know and easy way to post pics on here?