PDA

View Full Version : I want to rebore a Savage 110E 270 to a 9.3x62

Pages : 1 [2]

PhilC
08-16-2021, 11:42 AM
For those kinds of animals the .270 would be just about perfect.
I agree and a fine choice IMHO.

mattri
08-16-2021, 10:14 PM
I've killed all of those with a 270 except the moose. Certainly had the opportunity but don't like the meat.

hawkeyesatx823
08-16-2021, 11:13 PM
I've killed all of those with a 270 except the moose. Certainly had the opportunity but don't like the meat.

Can you tell me about your experience with your .270?

I know Jack O’Connor made it famous, and he took every game animal under the sun possible with one, but his hunting was the kind where he could wait a month on getting the text book broadside shot. And be able to shoot under 300 yds, at that.

Now, forgive me, but isn’t a 130gr .277 cal bullet quite light for big elk, and moose? I know a 150 gr bullet serves it better in energy, and the trajectory isn’t that much off from a 130gr bullet.

My experience with a 7mm Rem Mag and a .300 Win Mag has been quite good. Usually anything I’ve shot has gone down quite fast, a few paces, or dropped right there.

I, hate to say, that I’m ignorant when it comes to using the .270 and it’s capabilities.

Please enlighten me so!

Hawk

mattri
08-17-2021, 08:14 AM
A 130gr bullet over H4831 has been a go to load in the 270 for decades- but my gun just didn't like it. Tried 150s and not much luck there either but came across some Nosler 140s and that was the ticket. Found a good liad and never looked back. Accuracy was excellent, flat trajectory, mildish recoil and excellent performance on game. Mulies and pronghorn dropped like stones, coyotes turned inside out. Only shot 1 elk, a big red desert elk at 200ish yards- hit him right and he took 2 steps, stumbled and fell over. I don't live out west anymore but never felt undergunned with the 270. Came into a nice 7mm wsm that I used for a bit and don't think it killed any quicker.

hawkeyesatx823
08-17-2021, 10:56 AM
A 130gr bullet over H4831 has been a go to load in the 270 for decades- but my gun just didn't like it. Tried 150s and not much luck there either but came across some Nosler 140s and that was the ticket. Found a good liad and never looked back. Accuracy was excellent, flat trajectory, mildish recoil and excellent performance on game. Mulies and pronghorn dropped like stones, coyotes turned inside out. Only shot 1 elk, a big red desert elk at 200ish yards- hit him right and he took 2 steps, stumbled and fell over. I don't live out west anymore but never felt undergunned with the 270. Came into a nice 7mm wsm that I used for a bit and don't think it killed any quicker.

That’s really good to know!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it.

I used to live in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I would go to the mountains, outside Laramie, in the Snowy Range. My 7 Mag took several deer, and they were all DRT. My 300 Win Mag, big bodied Mulie, just a few steps. Elk, about 15 paces.
Good to know about the .270 Win! I will have to evaluate more about it.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk