PDA

View Full Version : Winchester ammo

Mr.Snerdly
08-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Are they buying foreign ammo and relabeling it? I was wanting some new brass but it is hard to get and Midway had some Winchester on sale for a reasonable price. I figured if it shot very poorly I could pull the bullets, save the powder, brass and primers. As much as primers are going for and brass isn't free, nor is powder, it might not be such a bad deal. Anyway, shot some of it and went to reload what I shot and couldn't get the primers in. I thought they came out hard too and come to find out, they are crimped and don't have "Winchester" stamped on them. Says L C 223 Rem. Anyone know the story? I think the brass is pretty decent after you get the primer pockets reamed out.

GaCop
08-07-2021, 07:52 AM
Interesting that "Winchester used government contract Lake City brass. Noting wrong with LC after swaging the crimp out of the primer pocket.

charlie b
08-07-2021, 09:20 PM
It always made sense to me that Federal bulk ammo usede FC brass but didn't know Lake City would sell to the other mfgs. These days I bet LC can get a lot more for their brass from other mfgs than from the govt :) And govt contract purchases have probably cut back severely in recent years.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

wbm
08-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Hornady did similar with their "Frontier" ammunition. It is LC.