PDA

View Full Version : MODEL 12BVSS SINGLE SHOT factory or conversion?

HOBART F
08-05-2021, 09:58 PM
Hello, I'm a new member
I bought a model 12 varminter 22-250 pre accutrigger.
First bad thing I had the shock of having the gun go off when I closed the bolt too abruptly NOT GOOD!! I adjusted trigger pull to just over 30 oz before it would not fire upon closure of the bolt.
I am going to replace the trigger with a basix sav2. The good news is nobody got shot! Also the gun grouped fairly well in spite of the fact that the action screws were barely hand tight. I discovered that
when I decided to disassemble it. The gun has a mag well with a hardwood block filler and a single shot follower and the action has been well bedded (factory or not?) I can't find any date of manufacture serial #G0607XX . I would think there are dates of manufacture info posted on this forum? I have no idea of it's history so I would appreciate some input.

Dave Hoback
08-05-2021, 10:21 PM
Here you go! https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?55695-Dating-Serial-Numbers-with-a-Letter-Prefix

Looks like your gun was made in 2002. Any bedding was done by a previous owner, not the factory.

Oh yeah.... and welcome aboard partner!

charlie b
08-05-2021, 10:54 PM
Not sure about back then. My 12BVSS was purchased a couple years ago. It has a blind magazine in it. No bedding. It does have pillars from the factory. Is the trigger the factory one or was it replaced? Mine has the varmint accutrigger (silver blade, 1.5lb minimum).

Is there bedding compound around the trigger? Maybe the PO got some bedding compound in the trigger. Or, he did a 'trigger job' and messed up the sear surfaces. Or replaced the spring to get a lighter pull? Or both? Either way I'd get a new trigger and hope he didn't mess with the sear on the bolt.

Dave Hoback
08-06-2021, 12:30 AM
If your sear is faulty, due to wear or “Bubba-fyin”, I can stone it back to perfectly flat. I do this & trigger jobs for free for members here.

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 01:05 AM
Hey thanks really appreciate your reply! I figured 2002 or earlier and your conclusion about bedding. I'm an old guy 75 who in the 1960s thought of Savage as being a stamped out "JC higgins" Sears and Roebuck piece of junk!
I am still a fan of Remmy 700. Sad that they went under because of Trigger issues. Never ever had any of my 700's go off from a bolt slam.

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the input!
Mine has a magazine with a well made wood block fitted inside with a single shot follower. Does yours have no magazine cut out in the stock?
I too, surmised that a new trigger is the best and safest cure. Bedding looks really clean.

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 01:23 AM
I'm going for the Basix Sav2. I'm a timney fan but the Basix looks to be lower reliable trigger pull. What a generous offer!

Rifleman#1
08-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Be sure and do everything these guys say its there way or the highway O yea don't have an idea or opinion they think they are GOD on this websight half the stuff they say is just crap they read somewhere. good day welcome aboard.

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 11:13 AM
Hmm OK Thanks

J.Baker
08-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Be sure and do everything these guys say its there way or the highway O yea don't have an idea or opinion they think they are GOD on this websight half the stuff they say is just crap they read somewhere. good day welcome aboard.

I've had enough of your snide remarks towards other members here.

Dave Hoback
08-06-2021, 11:52 AM
The Sav2 trigger is the most popular choice. If you still have an issue after replacement, the sear is worn. It’s my only caveat of almost every aftermarket trigger for Savage. They use the STOCK sear. All except the Jard, which uses its own machined sear. But it comes with its own pros & cons.... namely the cost. Personally, I’m a fan of the Accutrigger, but I do a complete custom overhaul on mine. I’ve always been a fan of safe action triggers, as the worry of an unintentional “BANG” is nil!

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Well i'm hoping there are no problems with the trigger installation. I bought this gun used on Gunbroker because for $750 it included a very nice 6-24x40 B&L scope vintage 2002( no surprise the gun dates the same)
Just got off the phone with Shilen, ordered a 6.5 CM 26" barrel in Select stainless which was my real purpose in buying the gun. My first plan was to build a 700 ss action 6.5 CM but sellers want min $600 plus tax / ship just for the action. Lemme see here $675 plus 40 DROS $500 for a barrel = $1215 with stock trigger no mounts or scope. After shelling out $150 for the trigger I'm under $1000 including tax and DROS.
BTW I checked the barrel with my scope all looks good no throat wear. I vowed never to buy a used gun without scoping it. NOW, ALL I NEED IS PRIMERS AND POWDER!

charlie b
08-06-2021, 08:17 PM
My BVSS has a magazine in the stock. Not cut all the way through, ie, a blind magazine. It holds four .308 rounds. I usually just feed it one at a time by laying a round on top of the mag and slowly running the bolt forward.

Sounds like you got a good deal.

HOBART F
08-06-2021, 11:24 PM
It appears the original BVSS was converted to Single shot. I kill only paper now, so that works for me. My first savage may be my last if the Shilen barrel is a winner. I have enough rifles with the 6.5 cm barrel added.
REMMY 700 CLASSIC in 222 and 700 IN 222mag plus 22-250 plus 6.5 CM. OH WAIT , 6 BR?

charlie b
08-07-2021, 09:13 PM
Yep, I think I loaded up the magazine once just to make sure it worked. After that all the rest have been single shot.

Mine will get a new barrel next year. 6BR Krieger or Bartlein. The .308 barrel will go on the Axis as my cast bullet rifle and I will put the .223 barrel in storage.

The only thing I didn't like on mine was the comb height. I have a 50mm scope so it sits a bit high. I modified the stock to have an adjustable comb height. Turned out OK.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk