PDA

View Full Version : Savage .223 1:7 rifling problems

Pages : 1 [2]

Texas10
08-08-2021, 06:01 PM
I'd be willing to bet that this particular barrel came from a vendor Savage was giving a try, but ultimately declined to do business with on a continuing basis. Perhaps it was during a spike in demand a few years back that caused them to consider a second or third vendor. If that's the case, it's doubtful they would be willing to share that information.

I think the choices are limited to set it back 2 inches or turn it into a tomato stake.

Dave Hoback
08-08-2021, 07:43 PM
I'd be willing to bet that this particular barrel came from a vendor Savage was giving a try, but ultimately declined to do business with on a continuing basis. Perhaps it was during a spike in demand a few years back that caused them to consider a second or third vendor. If that's the case, it's doubtful they would be willing to share that information.

I think the choices are limited to set it back 2 inches or turn it into a tomato stake.

Savage makes their own barrels. They do drilling, reaming, Button Rifling on Barstock blanks, then machine profile. They even have their own Kilns for heat treating, stress relieving.

Frankthetank1point0
08-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Here is the response I got from savage I posted my question to them as well.

MJ (Savage Arms, Inc)

Aug 11, 2021, 1:58 PM EDT

With the barrel being purchased second hand, we cannot provide service to it. We also wouldn't know why the barrel looks the way it does and would not be able to replace the barrel as it was not the factory provided barrel for the firearm. I would suggest containing the seller and see if they had any issues with the barrel or if they have any performance data with the barrel.
Technical Services

C Franklin50

Aug 5, 2021, 12:44 PM EDT

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A WARRANTY CLAIM. Okay now that's out of the way. I have called twice now trying to get answers for a rifling defect for a second hand barrel that came from a model 12VLP sku#18464 serial#unknown. I have two videos posted documentting the defect. Could you please watch them and let me know what could have caused this and is it worth even trying to shoot or would it be a waste of hard to find components.
https://youtu.be/qRZpU49UquY
https://youtu.be/v_zQ447N9qk