PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Voucher

wbm
07-14-2021, 05:14 PM
Returned my Nikon Monarch for repair. Got a message that the cost of repair was not economically viable for them. They gave me a $596 voucher for any product they sell on nikonusa.com. No rifle scopes there. I need a scope! Need advice!

Right now I am thinking of buying, selling new in box at big discount, and then buying a scope.

I can buy Nikon Prostaff 5 Spotting Scope 20-60x 82mm angled-body for $600

OR

Nikon Laser Rangefinder 50 6x for $450

Any advice on one or the other and which might be easier to resell?

celltech
07-14-2021, 07:39 PM
Neither....if you can buy anything on the site then look at the camera lenses. I think they are more universally sellable than shooting gear.

You could also try selling the voucher itself for a discount...

wbm
07-14-2021, 09:35 PM
Thanks. Will look some more.

Robinhood
07-15-2021, 12:03 AM
You might be able to sell the voucher itself. Might be an easier sell rather that have to find a buyer looking for the specific item you purchased. Either way you will loose a little value. You could check with CameralandNY.com and see if Doug has any good options also.

wbm
07-15-2021, 07:42 AM
Yeah that is what I was thinking last evening. Easier just to sell the voucher.

Appreciate the input!

Dave Hoback
07-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Just wondering, are you forgoing on buying another Nikon scope? I’ve never dealt with their warranty, but seems pointless if they can’t give you another scope, or even offer any for sale with a voucher.

Robinhood
07-31-2021, 05:58 PM
Just wondering, are you forgoing on buying another Nikon scope? I’ve never dealt with their warranty, but seems pointless if they can’t give you another scope, or even offer any for sale with a voucher.

It was my understanding that even though you might be able to find a Nikon rifle scope, The factory or warranty department has none. His returned scope got a voucher to purchase a different Nikon product. The voucher can be sold and the user can buy what he wants. A spotter or rangefinder would be good options for the purchaser of the voucher.

Dave Hoback
07-31-2021, 09:41 PM
Oh I get what he said. My questioning was if this is normal practice with Nikon? My point being if I’m out a RIFLE scope, I don’t want a SPOTTING scope... and frankly, I don’t want a Voucher for a bunch of other things EXCEPT a RIFLE scope. Also, trying to sell a Voucher for cash value, you have to take a loss on it 9 outta 10 times. Who is going to pay FULL price for a Voucher??

PhilC
08-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Nikon quit the scope market last year. From what I've read on a couple other forums I follow, they are not repairing scopes, basically you get the value of warranty in a voucher.

Robinhood
08-01-2021, 11:01 PM
Oh I get what he said. My questioning was if this is normal practice with Nikon? My point being if I’m out a RIFLE scope, I don’t want a SPOTTING scope... and frankly, I don’t want a Voucher for a bunch of other things EXCEPT a RIFLE scope. Also, trying to sell a Voucher for cash value, you have to take a loss on it 9 outta 10 times. Who is going to pay FULL price for a Voucher??

In this case it was get something in return, take the voucher, or wish in one hand and crap in the other ans see what you have at the end of the day. If those are your only options what else do you do. Me personally. Sell the voucher or trade it for something that has value to me. I think WBM is thinking the same.

wbm
08-03-2021, 09:31 AM
Yep. I am.