PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 problems with bolt and trigger

Shuz
07-13-2021, 07:00 PM
I was at the range today getting ready for a cast boolit match this Saturday, fired one round and when I went to squeeze the trigger for the second round, it would not fire. I opened and closed the bolt to re-set the trigger safety like I've had to do many times when I don't press the blade back even with the trigger, but it still wouldn't fire. It was then that I noticed the blade was not sticking out in front of the trigger as far as usual. I pulled my stuff off the line and was thankful this didn't happen on Saturday! Now here's the issue, I have the bbl'd action out of the stock because I couldn't get the bolt to come out before removing the stock. What do I do next? How do you remove the bolt, or do I have to put the trigger guard back in to allow a bolt release? What is wrong with my trigger? Why won't the safety on the tang slide. HELP

jpdown
07-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Will it dry fire with the barreled action removed from the stock?

Robinhood
07-13-2021, 10:29 PM
Can you pull the bolt back to remove the round? Does it function correctly out of the stock meaning bolt operates and the trigger operates? When you operate and close the bolt when the action is out of the stock, does the sear set and lock onto the trigger when you do? If it does not you need to adjust the trigger until it does. Then try the bump test.

Shuz
07-14-2021, 05:40 PM
Will it dry fire with the barreled action removed from the stock?
No

Shuz
07-14-2021, 05:48 PM
Can you pull the bolt back to remove the round? Does it function correctly out of the stock meaning bolt operates and the trigger operates? When you operate and close the bolt when the action is out of the stock, does the sear set and lock onto the trigger when you do? If it does not you need to adjust the trigger until it does. Then try the bump test.

Perhaps I can clarify, even tho my eyes are still dilated from an eye dr visit earlier today! The bolt functions on opening, and there is no round in the chamber. However, the trigger is not set properly with the blade protruding way out in front of the trigger and when I close the bolt, the firing pin drops as if I pulled the trigger.

Shuz
07-14-2021, 07:21 PM
Here's an update: I used my fingers ands pulled and pushed around on the trigger assembly "who knows what?" and all of a sudden the safety blade moved forward to it's usual position, but upon closing the bolt, the rifle did not fire when the blade and trigger were pressed as normal. At least this time, when closing the bolt, the firing pin did not appear to drop! What do I do now?

Shuz
07-14-2021, 10:42 PM
Further update: Like a dummy, I forgot to check the tang safety when I tried the bolt the last time. When I moved the safety to the fire position, and depressed the trigger after closing the bolt, the firing pin appeared to move forward as it's supposed to! So it looks like whatever jiggling I did with my fingers to cause the blade to return to normal did the trick. I just hope the original malfunction doesn't happen again.

Thanks to all who helped.