PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap question

KMW1954
07-13-2021, 01:35 PM
I have a Model 10 with a normal barrel and have a lead on a pulled Model 12 small shank Varminter barrel that has never been shot how can I tell if this will fir my action/receiver? Or won't it?

SageRat Shooter
07-13-2021, 02:39 PM
Call Savage with your serial number and ask them if you have a large or small shank. If your existing rifle isn't a magnum, then most likely its a small shank, but that's not ALWAYS the case.

The other way would be to check out your barrel nut. Small shank barrel nuts are a different size then a Large shank barrel nut.

jeffreybehr
07-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Depends first on whether each is a large-shank or small-shank barrel.. See Northland Shooters Supply's page...

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/parts-and-tools/

...for a general look at the length of the two barrel nuts.. I can't find their diagram about the lengths, but my large-shank nut is 5/8" long.. The small-shank nuts are longer.

The second question is of bolt-faces.. Do the two original cartridges share the same cartridge-base diameter? If they do, you MIGHT be able to simply swap the bolts.. If not, you have more work to do.

And, of course, you'll need two no-go head-space gages to set your newly installed barrels.

KMW1954
07-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Can do. This is a Model 10 223 from around 2004. The other barrel is a 26" Varmint 223.

So I guess my question is it all that matters is the shank size? Actual model numbers mean nothing as far as receivers go?

Dave Hoback
07-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Yes. Shank size is the only thing. (Obviously the bolt head must match cartridge, in this case it moot). Both were 223 and should be small shank.

And NO...the model number is irreverent as far as barrel fitting.

jeffreybehr
07-13-2021, 03:05 PM
Here's NSS's page on shank size.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/not-sure-if-your-existing-rifle-is-small-or-large-shank/

...thx to NSS's James Kessler.

KMW1954
07-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Thank you so much for the information!