PDA

View Full Version : Which 223 to buy.

jnr88
07-12-2021, 05:38 PM
I’m very new to precision shooting. A friend got me started with a LRPV with a Timney trigger.and a Vortex PST SIGHT. I’m now looking at the Benchest model and the F T/R. I maybe shooting to 600 yds. Is there a reason to select one of these rifles over another. Is there another model I should consider? Thanks for all advice.

wbm
07-12-2021, 05:42 PM
Is there another model I should consider?

Don't know about another model but is there another caliber you should consider? Yes. 6mm.

However, if you are stuck on 223 for bench rest then I would consider the FT/R.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=18154

charlie b
07-12-2021, 10:15 PM
What is your interest? Shooting for fun or competition? Will 600yd be your limit or will you want to shoot further? If competition which venue? Fclass, F/TR, etc?

Fclass and most other classes are open to cartridge. F/TR is limited to .308WIn or .223Rem.

I do not compete, only shoot at the range for fun.

My first rifle for longer ranges was the .223 cause I thought it would be more economical given availability of brass and cheap bullets. As I went for more accuracy the brass became Lapua and bullets were the Sierra Match Kings. Not cheap anymore. But, it is accurate enough for medium ranges (300-600yd).

Having said that, my next barrel will be a 6BR. Will carry wind a bit better and be a viable cartridge out to 1000yd. Cost just a few pennies more per round.

My other rifle is a .308 (12BVSS). I chose it for two reasons. 1) decent accuracy at 1000yd 2) good with cast bullets. Once I get the 6BR it will become a cast bullet only rifle.

Choosing the model of rifle can be important for what class you want to shoot in. F/TR is fired off a bipod and weigh less. Fclass is heavier and is fired prone from bench rests. Bench rest classes have different weight limits for different classes.

If this is just for fun I'd just pick the rifle that appeals to you. As the names imply the Benchrest is intended for use with front rest and rear bag. The F/TR for bipod and rear bag.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

jnr88
07-12-2021, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your outstanding advice. I’m from a competitive USPSA and steel challenge. I turned 72 and developed a tremor. Rifles will enable me to be competitive. Our club has 400 yard capability and is starting up competition. With.the 400 yard limitation I though 223 would be adequate. I’m just starting to realize how difficult good group shooting is. Thank again for your feedback. A lot to think about.

Dave Hoback
07-12-2021, 11:40 PM
If you’re just looking to buy, the 110 Elite Precision is pretty nice. Can get it in 223, 6mm CM, 6.5mm CM, 308 and larger calibers. Already comes with many “goodies” installed.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57555

Steeltrap
07-13-2021, 08:12 AM
Several years ago I shot long range. Targets started at 800 yards and then out to 1,000 yards. I purchased a Savage single shot bolt action "Action", wrenched on a Shilen barrel in 6.5x55 Swede caliber. I loaded my own using Hornady ELD 140gr, and for me, I did fine. I also had a competition trigger that broke at just under 1-lb.

The plus of shooting the 6.5 caliber is that it has all the downrange power of a similar weight bullet in 30 caliber, but much less felt recoil.

charlie b
07-13-2021, 09:06 AM
If competition is in the cards then I'd visit a match and see what everyone else is shooting.

I would not feel under gunned at the medium ranges with the .223, especially if it came with a 1:7twist so 80gn bullets could be used. I really like the minimal recoil with the .223. Wind offset will be more of an issue, but, not by a lot at the closer ranges.

But, if going to the really heavy ,22 bullets then it is just a short jump to the 6BR, which seems to be 'king' at the medium ranges.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

bsekf
07-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Sent you an e-mail