PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110, 30-06 to 300RUM

bscman
11-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I've got a Savage 110 on hold at a local pawn shop for $200.
22" 30-06, Blued, Accutrigger, blind magazine/synthetic stock.

I'm wanting to pick it up for my first Savage build...(Not my first Rum).

From my research, I'll need
Magnum bolt face (7mm/300WinMag)
As well as the corresponding magazine parts (and stock to lose the flexy tupperware).

I've found 300RUM barrels with both large and small diameter threads...
Though this -06 *should* take the small.

Is this as straight forward as it appears?
Anything I am missing?

wbm
11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
I think you have it covered pretty well. I have a Savage with the RUM receiver in a 7MM STW. . Savage milled the front of the receiver above the forward part of the magazine to make feeding easier. Other than that it looks like a 300WM receiver.

showgun
11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I started doing some research on building a RUM on a 110 action and I had a couple smiths tell me that they don't recommend that cartridge with a standard action. I was told that in the event of case failure, a regular action (110) not designed for the RUM pressures can be devastating to the rifle/shooter.

I could be completely wrong but it might be worth a little research prior to your new build.

Nefarioud
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I was curious about the same thing. I have a 300WM that I think I want to make a 300 RUM to single feed. Anyone see any problem with this?

geargrinder
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I started doing some research on building a RUM on a 110 action and I had a couple smiths tell me that they don't recommend that cartridge with a standard action. I was told that in the event of case failure, a regular action (110) not designed for the RUM pressures can be devastating to the rifle/shooter.

I could be completely wrong but it might be worth a little research prior to your new build.

You shouldn't listen to smith's who don't know that they are talking about.

Savage made 110 rifles in the RUM chambering from the factory. If they were prone to failure in any way you, me, and everyone else would have heard about it.

That action will handle the RUM just fine. Making it a repeater is a little tougher.

elgregoblanko
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I've got a S. model 110, with the accutrigger, and synthetic stock in 30-06.

I shoot 150grain remington corelocks though the thing with the simmons 9x40 it came with. It shoots 1/2" groups at a 100yds. Shot a Nubian Ibex at 6ooyds on a hunt in October,, i would NOT change it to a "magnum" rifle,, it's a waste of money.

With that trigger, and the power of a 30-06, it can kill everything on earth,, and it has.

I only shoot 180grain barnesXXX bullets out of my S.model 111,, that's also in 30-06,, and will punch through an elephant.

Practice at longer ranges, and place your shot rite, and it will die... but it's your money ;D