PDA

View Full Version : Axis Powers

wbm
07-07-2021, 02:55 PM
A lot of Savage Axis owners either switch out the OEM stock or stiffen the forend. Forend work can help but a real flex problem is in the grip and most do not mitigate that. I essentially eliminated grip flex by filling it with epoxy.

charlie b
07-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Nice work.

It is simply amazing that the Axis rifles shoot as well as they do. The floating bolt head seems to do well in this role. And, despite the rough machine marks, the Savage barrels are good shooters.

I am probably going to get a new barrel for my Axis pretty soon. It seems sacrilegious to spend more on a new barrel than my rifle cost in the first place. :)

I guess I could get a new barrel for my Model 12 and move the .308 barrel to my Axis. Then I could justify the cost of a really good barrel for the 12. :)

Robinhood
07-07-2021, 05:28 PM
Good looking rifle too. Those Mullers were good for the money.

wbm
07-07-2021, 06:26 PM
Those Mullers were good for the money.

Ya know from 8-20 the glass is pretty good...above that is "meh". I kinda just lucked out on the Mueller...didn't know they made a 30mm target scope. It came up for a good price and I said what the heck and went for it. Did a test this morning on POI change with power change...went from 16 to 32 and it remained the same...actually surprised me.

Then I could justify the cost of a really good barrel for the 12. :)

LOL...I hear ya. This winter I came across an unfired 6.5CM barrel from a 110 LRH. Put it on an Axis. It shoots great! Then in February I was in a local gun/pawn shop and a guy had just pawned a like new 110 Tactical in 6.5CM so I called "the treasurer" and assured her it was a steal...she said "go for it." Whew! It shoots really good too...better than the Axis. NO! Go figure.

GaCop
07-09-2021, 06:56 AM
Good lookin set up. I've been using Mueller scopes for years.