PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on a 10FCP-SR project

Wm Cook
07-06-2021, 09:28 PM
This is my first Savage and I need some advice. I started the project a little too cavalier and I’m bumping my head right now.

The sole purpose of the rig is to shoot shoot small groups from the bench. I shot benchrest competition for three decades so bench technique, handloading and reading flags is covered. I just have to get the rifle right.

What can’t be undone is the base 10FCP package I bought, the switch bolt/switch barrel design (.308 & .222) and a select tight necked .222 Rem barrel coming from Shilen.

I think I may have solved the switch bolt needs met with with a factory bolt and factory tactical handle from Midway. But there may be problems there that I haven’t tripped over yet.

The rifle was on my gunsmiths bench today getting ready to glass bed with the NSS recoil lug and a trued barrel nut. But as many of you already know the NSS recoil lug will not work with the AccuStock aluminum rail system. I found that out today.

So as I take a minute to get redirected I’m asking for your advice. What weak points would you address if you were expecting the capability .250”~.375” results out of a 10FCP-SR. Thanks, Bill.

lastedtiger
07-15-2021, 08:20 PM
Bill,
The FCP-SR comes from the factory with a tactical handle. You don't have to change a thing, it's a great gun like any other savages.
I have one in 308 ,i went from the accustock to an MDT LSS-XL chassis, got tired of playing with the accustock torque tune; with the accustock it was shooting .4's at 200 yards with factory 175 SMK.

Dave Hoback
07-15-2021, 10:46 PM
Consistent groups in the .250 range is a tall order. But doable. Far as Savage goes, you are headed in the right direction. I’d say you have primarily addressed the weak points. You didn’t mention what barrel contour you went with? From there, a quality optic and most important...base & rings/scope mount setup. I always hate seeing a great rig with all the fixings. With a high quality optic and such....then stuck in some BS Standard or Weaver bases/rings!

And you e already mentioned, so yes...reloading is key of course. Off the shelf ammo does not provide those results, no matter how many times we read about members on X or Y Forum doing it.

Robinhood
07-16-2021, 02:25 AM
Accuracy and precision strings of fire as you already know are affected with a heavy bolt lift. If you can get SSS to do is full bolt lift tuning with the action timing(time and tune), you would be miles ahead.

A light trigger is not always easy to get consistent. If you could find an old SSS trigger, again miles ahead. There are several other triggers out there, I'm not a huge fan of the accutrigger, like the RB SAVII, Jard and Efltmann are complete trigger systems that use only the sear, safety and hanger except the jard and it has its own sear. The rest are just replacement triggers.

From there you know the cartridges that will work. The 6Br being one of them. If you need to go longer the 6 and 6.5's are good for mild to medium winds.

lastedtiger
07-20-2021, 12:57 AM
And you e already mentioned, so yes...reloading is key of course. Off the shelf ammo does not provide those results, no matter how many times we read about members on X or Y Forum doing it.
Reloading is the way to go for the ultimate consistency/accuracy.
You can get the OP results but INCONSISTENTLY with factory ammo, that's where barrel quality and shooter's skill come in. My 12fv 308 can only shoot 168 smk ''ok'' ,while the 308 FCP-SR and the 308 REPR should anything including Tulammo extremely well. When a gun shoots, you will know right away even with factory ammo.
My 175 SMK with FCP-SR comment is for the person that doesn't reload, yet believes tiny groups can NEVER be achieved with factory ammo.

charlie b
07-20-2021, 08:53 AM
As you probably know, when getting down in the twos the little things become important. Since you know you can shoot that well and get consistent reloads then it boils down to the rifle.

You have a barrel that should do the job. The rest is the action and stock. Even if you liked the Accutrigger your rifle does not have the target version (IIRC). So, I would first spend money there. Since you have shot BR rifles before you probably have a preference. Use what you know if it is available. As RH pointed out, the stock bolts on Savages are not the smoothest around. Some work there would help follow up shots a lot.

The stock is not really designed for BR. You can probably make it work ok for the accuracy level you want (twos and threes). If you get serious later on then a new stock would be on my list.