PDA

View Full Version : feeding problems using 308 in a long action stagger feed

greyling
07-06-2021, 07:06 PM
I just rebarreled my old stagger feed long action savage 110L to 308. I loaded up some dummy rounds to check for function, and I have a feeding issue: the round starts into the chamber fine, but then the case head pops free of the feed lips and jumps up so as the bolt continues forward it jams with the case head. if that is murky, I drew a pictionary style picture here https://ibb.co/pwYkDJL

but my mag box doesn't really appear to have feed lips. are they part of the receiver? and if so, am I boned?

my mag box looks like this one https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/999140A

looks like the newer boxes have feed lips? https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?154-Staggered-Feed-Magazines

https://ibb.co/pwYkDJL

GaCop
07-07-2021, 01:48 PM
That is odd, the shorter round should feed. I built a 243 on a long action that was 30-06 and the 243s fed just fine. You could try making a block to go in the rear of the mag box to move the rounds forward but then you'd have to replace or cut the long follower. After fitting a block in the mag, a short action spring and follower just might work. Try sliding the shorter rounds to the front of your mag box to see if that helps feeding.

greyling
07-07-2021, 02:57 PM
the problem appears to be that the box mag has no feed lips, and the round pops out too far away from the chamber. see the video I uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plkmY4-Rk3o

Robinhood
07-07-2021, 03:09 PM
I did a little research and found some things I was unaware of. You have an old 110 that is much different than what most of us are used to. Luckily there are some guys around that know these older rifles well. About the only thing I can offer is ask one of them if a standard staggerfeed magazine will fit and if they do fit, ask if the long action mag for 308 cartridges would fit. Either way the stagger feed magazines...if you can find one may be beneficial. I did notice they had some different followers for your style mag box.

Hopefully James Baker or sharpshooter chime in with the right information if no one else can help.

greyling
07-07-2021, 03:23 PM
yeah, this is an original savage, and they are their own special snowflakes. grrrr

greyling
07-07-2021, 04:19 PM
I called the guy in idaho with savage gunsmithing. He's sold me a mag with feed lips, follower and spring that should fix the problem. nice guy. we talked for a while.

Robinhood
07-07-2021, 05:25 PM
I called the guy in idaho with savage gunsmithing. He's sold me a mag with feed lips, follower and spring that should fix the problem. nice guy. we talked for a while.

I bet it is the standard stagger feed stuff. There are people that look for those parts for a while. You did good.

Dave Hoback
07-07-2021, 09:34 PM
The problem is the older style box with no feed lips is too long for a short Action.(causing the inconsistent jam). With a 3006, 270 round, etc., the bullet is in the chamber before the case head pops up. But with the 308 round, it’s too much of a “running start” to chamber before the head pops up. Adding a box spacer *may have helped... Luckily, you were able to find the correct path. Robin is correct. Those older 110s are quite.... unique. Compared to the Action I’ve been around most of my life, they exhibit a couple head scratchers. Like the NO feed lips.

greyling
07-07-2021, 09:45 PM
yeah, it worked fine for the 257 ackley it was chambered in, though some of the shorter, lighter bullets would sometimes hang up. the shorter 308 case is definitely problematic. hopefully the new mag body will work fine.

GaCop
07-08-2021, 09:38 AM
I learn something about Savages almost every day. I had no idea the early Savages had a different mag box.

Robinhood
07-08-2021, 11:49 PM
I learn something about Savages almost every day. I had no idea the early Savages had a different mag box.

I wasn't familiar with them either so you are not alone!

PhilC
07-09-2021, 09:55 AM
The early 110s, certainly pre-66, are unique unto themselves.

mnbogboy2
07-09-2021, 11:27 PM
In the video it appears the head of the case stops traveling downward when it rests against the ejector plunger. If it cannot drop any farther it will not push forward while it is up against the reciever on the to portion of the case body. A slower push may give time for the case head to fall all the way down and prevent the jam. Your sketch mentions that it jams in the end of the chamber. If by chance your new barrel chamber has not been chambered or radiused at the breech end, then maybe the "sharp" edge is digging into the brass causing it not to slide forward.

greyling
07-11-2021, 03:25 AM
well the new (old) mag box won't fit in the action. looks like the action has feed rails built on to the bottom of the receiver. I could in theory file those off in an attempt to fit the new box in, but it may not be worth it. I'll call the savage guy monday, he said call him before I try and modify anything.

GaCop
07-11-2021, 06:49 AM
That's a bummer.....

greyling
07-14-2021, 02:44 AM
Took it out today. It fed ok. Decent enough for a casual day at the range, but I would t take it to africa or some place the requires a fast follow up shot. Takeoff barrel shot ok. Roughly 1 moa with my first batch of test loads ( 150grn Hornady and 2230) not an optimum combination I know.

Robinhood
07-14-2021, 11:54 PM
Took it out today. It fed ok. Decent enough for a casual day at the range, but I would t take it to africa or some place the requires a fast follow up shot. Takeoff barrel shot ok. Roughly 1 moa with my first batch of test loads ( 150grn Hornady and 2230) not an optimum combination I know.

Well bummer. I had noticed the rapid movement of the bolt is when the problem started. You may just have to stay awya from the hippo's, Buffalo, lions, tigers polar and brow bears. Maybe others...at least for a while. Pick up a BH Origin and you can have control round feed and still use the barrel.