PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 PRC... aftermarket stocks?

geneackley
07-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Just bought a brand new Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 PRC ( along with a set of Lee dies from a friend ) for 600 bucks, all new in the box!!!

He bought it earlier this year but became discouraged when he saw how difficult and expensive it would be to get ammo for it...

So I think I got a pretty good deal, didnt I?

it comes with a 20 MOA rail, Target bolt knob, fluted 24 inch barrel, threaded muzzle... Unfortunately it comes with the Savage "gay bladed trigger", but I will solve that problem soon enough...

Anyway, my question for you is:

Who currently makes a decent tactical stock for these things?

I don't like the Savage factory stocks at all. I know that KRG for example, (makers of the Bravo and X-Ray) doesn't make Savage compatible stocks.

So where might I locate something that would work with the CURRENT Savage rifles?

I know that Savage has changed their footprint over the years - which has caused stock makers to generally shy away from making aftermarket stocks for Savages- but anyway, I am just hoping someone here can point me in a decent direction since the market changes all the time.

Again thanks.

By the way, I assume its a large shank barrel - this being a 6.5 PRC...

want2ride
07-03-2021, 06:32 PM
MDT

I have the LSS-XL on a bighorn, and love it.... But they also make it for short and long action savages. I got mine as a blemished model on black friday for a great deal and i can't see a blemish.

My brother in law has the XRS on his savage short action and he loves it too.

want2ride
07-03-2021, 06:42 PM
BTW good choice on the 6.5 PRC, it is a really nice cartridge. at my elevation i am about a mile before it goes trans sonic with a 147 at 3050 fps. It really does a nice job of cutting the wind. It is amazing how much better it is in the wind than my 300 WSM or 6.5 creedmoor.

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Yep the MDT XL gen II is nice, the ACC the tac 21 or the ESS are all great product from MDT. You also have the XLR chassis's. The Oryx. MPA has savage stuff. Mcree's another.

Standard type stocks include but not limited to Stockade, GRS, Choate, BC and H-S Precision and even Boyds.

With the short action the differences are:

Screw spacing. Yours is 4.4.

Top and bottom bolt release. Yours is top

Mag(a) inlets are blind mag and DBM.

Yours is DBM with a special frame and magazine. ( I have no familiarity wit this mag and frame) Chassis will not matter.

geneackley
07-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Thanks fellas !!! I have been wanting one for a while but I too was scared by the expense of the ammo... Had my friend not come on hard times I would not have purchased it. But now I am glad that I did.

Looking forward to making it my own with a better stock and trigger...

I will look up these sites you recommend. Thanks again.

geneackley
07-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Yep the MDT XL gen II is nice, the ACC the tac 21 or the ESS are all great product from MDT. You also have the XLR chassis's. The Oryx. MPA has savage stuff. Mcree's another.

Standard type stocks include but not limited to Stockade, GRS, Choate, BC and H-S Precision and even Boyds.

With the short action the differences are:

Screw spacing. Yours is 4.4.

Top and bottom bolt release. Yours is top

Mag(a) inlets are blind mag and DBM.

Yours is DBM with a special frame and magazine. ( I have no familiarity wit this mag and frame) Chassis will not matter.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/xrs-chassis-system.html?___store=us_en

So would this one work for me? Thanks

want2ride
07-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Yes, that will work.

Dave Hoback
07-03-2021, 08:54 PM

Yes, that MDT will work. BTW.... Savage “GAY bladed trigger”? LOL! You should talk to one or two of the folks here I’ve done an custom Accutrigger job for. Bet you’d change your mind.

Not sure about the magazine though. I think you’re gonna run into Mag trouble.

want2ride
07-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Yes, that MDT will work. BTW.... Savage “GAY bladed trigger”? LOL! You should talk to one or two of the folks here I’ve done an custom Accutrigger job for. Bet you’d change your mind.
I love my Red target triggers, and i really like my varmint triggers... and for regular hunting triggers, i like them more than my Tikka, Kimber and WAY more than the Remington factory triggers.

kingdombuilder
07-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Imho . Rings, scope , zero rifle and break it in . Use all good brass to break it in and save it . Gather components to reload . In breaking it in find bullet it seems to like start reloading to find ocw and best load . Once it shoots what you are happy with . Then swap out stuff one by one . Trigger, stock . This way you will know if improvements actually did anything for accuracy . It will also save ammo if you have to trouble shoot . Change everything at once you loose control over variables . On that gun in current form as it is your better off putting the money in on good glass first than swapping out an accustock with aluminum frame to a chassis . only accurate Guns are fun .

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 10:57 PM

Yes, I didn't mention it because the forearm looked short. I want as much length as I can get for bipod stablity.

geneackley
07-04-2021, 01:29 AM

Not sure about the magazine though. I think you’re gonna run into Mag trouble.

Dave,

My dislike for the Savage trigger stems solely from its cosmetics! I hear its a very good trigger; I just know that there are other good triggers out there WITHOUT the obnoxious "gay blade" in the middle that work fine in my Tikka or Bergara or American Rifle Nucleus, etc.

I just hate that one.

Thanks

geneackley
07-04-2021, 01:34 AM
Yes, I didn't mention it because the forearm looked short. I want as much length as I can get for bipod stablity.

Main thing for me is that I now have a decent SOURCE of tactical / target aftermarket stocks that will work on my Savage. That's great news for me cause I couldn't hardly find anything for a long action Savage last winter... I had to eventually go to a Nucleus cause it's Remington footprint had many more aftermarket stocks available for it.

So Thanks again.

geneackley
07-04-2021, 01:38 AM
Imho . Rings, scope , zero rifle and break it in . Use all good brass to break it in and save it . Gather components to reload . In breaking it in find bullet it seems to like start reloading to find ocw and best load . Once it shoots what you are happy with . Then swap out stuff one by one . Trigger, stock . This way you will know if improvements actually did anything for accuracy . It will also save ammo if you have to trouble shoot . Change everything at once you loose control over variables . On that gun in current form as it is your better off putting the money in on good glass first than swapping out an accustock with aluminum frame to a chassis . only accurate Guns are fun .

Your approach is sound and logical...

But the factory stock is simply more than I can bear!!! It has to go no matter what!!!

And if the new one does not shoot well, I will fix it till it does!!! But I will buy a reputable and solid brand and design... so likely I will be ok.

But I will make it my FIRST variable in the process!!!

Thanks

deadduck357
07-04-2021, 05:05 AM
Another for MDT, I have the XRS and like it a lot. Got it on black Friday $50 off..

Let us know how I shoots, I've been thinking about this model and cartridge.

geneackley
07-04-2021, 06:56 PM
Another for MDT, I have the XRS and like it a lot. Got it on black Friday $50 off..

Let us know how I shoots, I've been thinking about this model and cartridge.

Will do Duck; I promise.

I have a couple of other builds I am finishing and then I will get serious about this one. I was just putting out feelers to find out what is available nowadays...

Again thank you all.

geneackley
07-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Basically (as I understand it), its the best ballistically performing round available for a short action rifle. The price kept me away and the fact that the 6.5 Creedmoor was just a couple hundred FPS slower and at half the price...

But like I said, a good deal presented itself, and I decided to take the plunge. But frankly I needed another rifle just like I needed another hole in my head... not much!!! Ha ha ha ha !!!

Great talking to you guys as usual. Thank you.