PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale recommendations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

7kings
07-03-2021, 05:52 PM
I've used an RCBS balance beam scale and a Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 cheapo scale for pistol handloading for a while now and have been pretty happy with them for the most part. I reloaded handgun on a 550b, so I only used the scales to set up the charge and then periodically during loading to double-check the throw and make sure it hasn't deviated. Both work fine for that - the digital for convenience and the balance beam to double-check the digital every once in a while.

However, now that I've started handloading rifle rounds on a single-stage and throwing powder from a separate powder measure and trickler, I find them both lacking. The digital isn't consistent enough or sensitive enough for the trickler, and the beam is slow to use and not as convenient. I know there are several digital offerings out there, but I'm not interested in spending money on another one that isn't going to work well for me.

Anyone have recommendations for a decent digital scale (not looking for a measure/scale combo) that isn't $750?

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 06:53 PM
How close do you want to get?

7kings
07-03-2021, 06:57 PM
How close do you want to get?

To what? The $700 price point or the precise charge weight I'm trying to throw?

99 K 30-30
07-03-2021, 07:56 PM
I own four of the RCBS electronic dispenser/scales (not the lite). Once you tune them up (U Tube) they are 1/10 gr accurate.

I also have 8 powder measures of all brands. Powders are selected by what works best with what measure. My check scale for them is the FA unit that is dead on w/test weights.

Dirty secret is that the newest Lee is the most consistant until spend $100s more.

want2ride
07-03-2021, 08:46 PM
I am normally not the guy that says this, but. buy once, cry once.

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 11:33 PM
I own four of the RCBS electronic dispenser/scales (not the lite). Once you tune them up (U Tube) they are 1/10 gr accurate.

Remember that 1/10th is not .10, it is 0.06 to 0.015

This is why I asked how close do you want to get. Personally I would cut that in half but not everyone wants or needs it that close.
That close has a price and it is constantly going up.

I am normally not the guy that says this, but. buy once, cry once.

Yes sir.

NF1E
07-04-2021, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=Robinhood;490548]Remember that 1/10th is not .10, it is 0.06 to 0.015

This is why I asked how close do you want to get. Personally I would cut that in half but not everyone wants or needs it that close.

Is that new math? 1/10th has always been 0.1 in my book. 0.06 should be 6 100ths. I use an RCBS Matchmaster and load +- 0.02 which is about the size of one kernal of IMR-8208.

7kings
07-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Unless I'm missing something, 1/10th = .10, but regardless, I'm just interested in a digital scale that will react to trickling and gives me the same reading when I pick the tray off the scale and put it back down multiple times. I've been throwing with the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure (the brass one) at about half a grain under charge and then trickling up to my charge weight. The FA isn't sensitive enough to read it until I've already overshot my target measure by .1-.2 grains. When I lift the tray and place it back down, it's a crap-shoot as to whether I'll get the same reading twice in a row, and seems to be sensitive to exactly where on the scale the tray is and how distributed the powder is in the tray.

I may just use the 5-0-5 beam to do it, but it's slow and reading the exact measure can be tricky due to parallax (I've heard of people setting a webcam or phone camera in front of it and reading it from the screen display, but I'm not too interested in that).

I'd like to be accurate to .1gr, but don't want to drop the cash on an auto-trickler/scale combo at this point and was just curious if anyone had suggestions. If not, I may look for a beam scale that's a little easier to read. The 5-0-5 supposedly has a magnetic damper, but it sure likes to take its sweet time settling down...

charlie b
07-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Yes, 1/10gn is 0.1gn

Most scales advertise being accurate to 0.1gn. That is about as close as you can get without some air flow control around the scale. Air movement can cause a change in scale weight reading when trying to measure less than 0.1gn. Sometimes it will change the reading more than 0.1gn. When I am at a certain spot on the reloading bench the air conditioning duct blows air toward the scale and will change the reading.

The quality of the scale should increase with how much you pay for it. Sadly, this is not always the case. Some cases the added cost just adds 'features' like averaging, high/low hold, etc.

The question I would ask, if you put a series of calibrated weights on the scale do they read the same every day and when the scale is initially turned on as well as being on for an hour or so? If you leave the weight on the scale does the reading change over several minutes? As a comparison, my cheap Franklin scale shows the same reading from a calibrated weight each time I use it (0.1gn scale resolution).

PhilC
07-04-2021, 08:55 AM
There's a good topic on the Chargmaster's accuracy on Accurate Shooter (https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-how-accurate.4036985/).

NF1E
07-04-2021, 08:58 AM
Yes, 1/10gn is 0.1gn

Most scales advertise being accurate to 0.1gn. That is about as close as you can get without some air flow control around the scale. Air movement can cause a change in scale weight reading when trying to measure less than 0.1gn. Sometimes it will change the reading more than 0.1gn. When I am at a certain spot on the reloading bench the air conditioning duct blows air toward the scale and will change the reading.

The quality of the scale should increase with how much you pay for it. Sadly, this is not always the case. Some cases the added cost just adds 'features' like averaging, high/low hold, etc.

The question I would ask, if you put a series of calibrated weights on the scale do they read the same every day and when the scale is initially turned on as well as being on for an hour or so? If you leave the weight on the scale does the reading change over several minutes? As a comparison, my cheap Franklin scale shows the same reading from a calibrated weight each time I use it (0.1gn scale resolution).

I have always re-calibrated any of my powder dispensers every time I use them. Lyman 1200dps, RCBS Chargemaster and finally the RCBS Matchmaster. All are fine for generic loadings but the Matchmaster wins for exact loading for precision rifle shooting when shifted into match mode and the right powder type is selected.

99 K 30-30
07-04-2021, 09:36 AM
IMHO, far too much is made of powder charge weight variations. Want a wake up ? Buy some federal 308 GMM, pull them and weigh the charges. That ammo shoots .5 MOA in my old M 70 308 target. More than sufficient for anything outside of benchrest.

Accuracy is a group of factors.

yobuck
07-04-2021, 10:12 AM
IMHO, far too much is made of powder charge weight variations. Want a wake up ? Buy some federal 308 GMM, pull them and weigh the charges. That ammo shoots .5 MOA in my old M 70 308 target. More than sufficient for anything outside of benchrest.

Agree.
Most of us wont see much difference even a half grain makes in our 100 yard group.
And no im not advocating thats how we load.
But much of everything we do consists of mind over matter.
The measuring device is the most important part anyway.
I’ll take 2 scoops. lol

NF1E
07-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Really? GMM 168 and 175s leave much to be desired for precision shooting. I have used a ton of it over the years after adjusting run out. Federal M118LR is much more accurate if you feel the need to use commercial ammo. Handloading does bring out the best in your firearm once you have established a propper ladder and determined the best custom for it. Commercial is good enough for most generic shooting.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-04-2021, 10:41 AM
Got myself a digital RCBS unit. Set it up, watched it drift back and forth for about 20 minutes. Packed it back up and sold it to someone that wanted/needed it more than I did.
Put my RCBS 505 scale back on the bench next to my RCBS powder measure and never looked back. No power going off to cause problems and no drift either.
All my rigs will shoot bug holes so I can't ask for too much more. :cool:

NF1E
07-04-2021, 02:48 PM
Shot these targets today at 100 yds with handloaded ammo in one of my homebuilt M14 10 dot rifles. Works for me.

7kings
07-04-2021, 05:38 PM
Shot these targets today at 100 yds with handloaded ammo in one of my homebuilt M14 10 dot rifles. Works for me.

That's a nice rifle. I've always wanted an M14/M1A. Eventually I'll add one to the safe, I'm sure.

99 K 30-30
07-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Got myself a digital RCBS unit. Set it up, watched it drift back and forth for about 20 minutes. Packed it back up and sold it to someone that wanted/needed it more than I did.
Put my RCBS 505 scale back on the bench next to my RCBS powder measure and never looked back. No power going off to cause problems and no drift either.
All my rigs will shoot bug holes so I can't ask for too much more. :cool:

Had you done 5 minutes of research, you would have learned that you have crappy power coming in your house. Probably damaging all your devices the use chip based technology.

As I own 3 RCBS measures I know how inaccurate they are with the large drum and stick powders.

Mine are only used for ball or like ball powders usually with the small drum and the weight device sold on Ebay. Then it does very well.

No measure that can't hold +- one grain with big stick powders can produce "bug hole" ammo, unless you're driving a VW thru the target.

Ever wonder why the Trickler was invented ? HINT. Throw a charge, put it on the scale and trickle it up to the correct weight.

Buy an RCBS MatchMaster or a Harrells ----- you'll never look back.

Robinhood
07-04-2021, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Robinhood;490548]Remember that 1/10th is not .10, it is 0.06 to 0.015

Is that new math? 1/10th has always been 0.1 in my book. 0.06 should be 6 100ths. I use an RCBS Matchmaster and load +- 0.02 which is about the size of one kernal of IMR-8208.

Not new math. If you check the calibration of a weighing device that is designed and calibrated for .1 Using .02 weight kernals the first kernel in the pan will still show zero. The second kernel will show zero. The Third kernel with an actual weight of .06 the scale will read .1, as you continue to .08 then .1 and .12 then 1.4 at the 7th kernel it is still reading .1. Now, the 8th kernel at .16 will read .2. If that is new math maybe so. Or a lack of understanding of resolution. One of the two.

Robinhood
07-04-2021, 11:00 PM

Interesting enough lets see what Dan Newberry sees on his scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDIu6Mivi-Y