PDA

View Full Version : Savage actions all stainless?

UrbanRedneck
06-27-2021, 03:53 PM
I see some models in the 110 and axis lines advertised as stainless even though they have a black finish. Are all savage actions stainless or just the advertised models? And are the barrels also stainless on those?

sharpshooter
06-27-2021, 07:14 PM
Stainless steel models are all silver. If it's black, it's carbon steel.

UrbanRedneck
06-27-2021, 08:19 PM
Ok. I read some ads that did not have the correct info. The axis ii Overwatch was listed with a ss receiver. Saw a couple more that said the same.

Robinhood
06-27-2021, 10:28 PM
Can you share the location of these ads?

Nor Cal Mikie
06-28-2021, 08:49 AM
"Stainless steel models are all silver. If it's black, it's carbon steel"
Black is beautiful??:(

Newtosavage
06-28-2021, 03:38 PM

Not necessarily. Rifles like the Ultralight use a stainless receiver that's cerakoted. It may look like a standard carbon steel "blued" finish but it's stainless underneath.

sharpshooter
06-29-2021, 01:02 PM
There's one sure fire way to know if it's stainless or not. If it has a small groove cut into the receiver under the tang, it is stainless, if not, it's carbon steel. This is one way the line workers I.D. the material of receivers before they are finished.

want2ride
06-30-2021, 07:28 PM
Not necessarily. Rifles like the Ultralight use a stainless receiver that's cerakoted. It may look like a standard carbon steel "blued" finish but it's stainless underneath.
I thought it was melonite.

Dave Hoback
07-01-2021, 09:13 PM

The 110 Elite Precision has a BLACK stainless steel receiver. It’s Nitrided. (big fan for many years of Nitride) So, no...being black does not denote Carbon steel & ALL Stainless Steel Actions are not necessarily SILVER. However, the small groove under the tang is interesting. I had not heard heard this before. Good to know if true.

Newtosavage
07-02-2021, 09:02 AM
I thought it was melonite.

Good point. I think you're right about that.

Dave Hoback
07-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Yes, it’s Melonite...which is the same thing as Nitriding. Not a coating, it’s a surface treatment. Can get it in any color as long as it’s BLACK!