PDA

View Full Version : Shooting log book?

7kings
06-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Curious what folks use to keep track of their shooting sessions and details (#rounds, range, type of ammo, weather, notes, etc...)?

Robinhood
06-27-2021, 10:30 PM
I use a small notepad at the range or location. Reenter into a notebook when I get home.

7kings
06-27-2021, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that's what I do too. Was just wondering if anyone had anything special (or a format they like) for the log pages.

Robinhood
06-28-2021, 12:16 AM
I started with printing off the stuff that pertained to what was important to me from this link.

This link was instrumental
https://www.recoilsports.com/2011/01/diy-rifle-logbook/

I started with printing off the stuff that pertained to what was important to me from this link.

https://www.recoilsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Sniper-Logbook.zip

Nor Cal Mikie
06-28-2021, 08:46 AM
Got a shooting buddy that records EVERY shot he's ever fired, load, temp and conditions.
While he's busy jotting down his notes, I've already burned off about 50 rounds and am looking for more. :cool::cool:

CFJunkie
06-28-2021, 01:44 PM
I print out all my load data as I plan them from QuickLOAD (including the expected temperatures) and then load the rounds according to my plan.
I generally load 25 rounds for each different load.
I shoot the loads at the range and record the actual air temperatures at the time I shot each load.
The only notes I take are which part of each target that I aim at and I mark the targets when I go out to the target frame during cease fires.
That way I can shoot at a fairly rapid rate, depending upon how fast the barrel heats up.
I try to keep the barrel within about a 25 degree range (I use temperature strips on all my target barrels so I can see when the barrel is heating up past my preferred range.
During the winter months, I can usually shoot all the rounds in one load without having to stop to cool the barrel with .223 calibers. The 6.5mm and .308 loads only allow me to do that when temperatures are below 35 degrees F.
Summers in Northern VA don't allow me to shoot 25 rounds in one set without allowing the barrel to cool.

After a session, I scan the targets and measure the groups using On-Target software and save each set of targets with load data on the target on my computer.
Then I record all the pertinent data on a spreadsheet along with each of the group sizes in each load.
Each rifle has its own table sorted by bullet weight and powder.

I record Powder, charge, bullet, bullet weight, O.A.L., cartridge base to ogive measurement, trim length, temperature & exit time as well as each load as well as each group size.
I have a separate record of the chamber measurement for each bullet that I used in each rifle.

That gives me just about all the data I need to do the kind of analysis that I perform.

7kings
06-28-2021, 04:07 PM
I print out all my load data as I plan them from QuickLOAD (including the expected temperatures) and then load the rounds according to my plan.
I generally load 25 rounds for each different load.
I shoot the loads at the range and record the actual air temperatures at the time I shot each load.
The only notes I take are which part of each target that I aim at and I mark the targets when I go out to the target frame during cease fires.
That way I can shoot at a fairly rapid rate, depending upon how fast the barrel heats up.
I try to keep the barrel within about a 25 degree range (I use temperature strips on all my target barrels so I can see when the barrel is heating up past my preferred range.
During the winter months, I can usually shoot all the rounds in one load without having to stop to cool the barrel with .223 calibers. The 6.5mm and .308 loads only allow me to do that when temperatures are below 35 degrees F.
Summers in Northern VA don't allow me to shoot 25 rounds in one set without allowing the barrel to cool.

After a session, I scan the targets and measure the groups using On-Target software and save each set of targets with load data on the target on my computer.
Then I record all the pertinent data on a spreadsheet along with each of the group sizes in each load.
Each rifle has its own table sorted by bullet weight and powder.

I record Powder, charge, bullet, bullet weight, O.A.L., cartridge base to ogive measurement, trim length, temperature & exit time as well as each load as well as each group size.
I have a separate record of the chamber measurement for each bullet that I used in each rifle.

That gives me just about all the data I need to do the kind of analysis that I perform.

Dang. I'm a programmer by trade and large datasets are part of my daily life, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep that much detail...

CFJunkie
06-28-2021, 06:00 PM
7kings,

I won't say that I haven't heard that from many others as well.
But after reloading over 53,000 rounds in the last 10 years, I don't think I would omit any of the data I did gather.

I was fortunate when I got into reloading with a vengeance that I wanted to be sure I had all the data I needed to repeat a good load.
I later learned that being able to analyze data allowed me to determine the best jump for each rifle and determine what seating depth each type of bullet performed best with.
I know the exact bullet exit time that each barrel preforms best with.
I also know which powder and bullets perform best with each rifle.
Moreover, I had statistically significant sample sizes to come to reliable conclusions.

At the outset, I never would have been able to predict in advance what turned out to be the crucial bit of data I needed at times during my reloading efforts.
I was just lucky that I felt I didn't know what I would need so I gathered all the data I could.
Turns out that over the last 10 years I have used every bit of data at some time or another to find what works best under particular conditions.

7kings
06-28-2021, 06:10 PM
7kings,

I won't say that I haven't heard that from many others as well.
But after reloading over 53,000 rounds in the last 10 years, I don't think I would omit any of the data I did gather.

I was fortunate when I got into reloading with a vengeance that I wanted to be sure I had all the data I needed to repeat a good load.
I later learned that being able to analyze data allowed me to determine the best jump for each rifle and determine what seating depth each type of bullet performed best with.
I know the exact bullet exit time that each barrel preforms best with.
I also know which powder and bullets perform best with each rifle.
Moreover, I had statistically significant sample sizes to come to reliable conclusions.

At the outset, I never would have been able to predict in advance what turned out to be the crucial bit of data I needed at times during my reloading efforts.
I was just lucky that I felt I didn't know what I would need so I gathered all the data I could.
Turns out that over the last 10 years I have used every bit of data at some time or another to find what works best under particular conditions.

I'm not criticizing - I definitely know the value of having an abundant amount of data; it's the old adage of, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". I tend to keep a good amount of detail, but probably not anywhere near what you do. :thumb:

CFJunkie
06-28-2021, 08:01 PM
No problem, I didn't think you were criticizing.

I realize that it seems like a lot of extra data gathering for no reason.
Turns out, recording the data at the time I load is easier than trying to regather the data so I can keep data when something works or doesn't work as expected.

I admit I am anal about data gathering. Most people don't have that drive.

What you eventually decide upon will be determined by the level of performance you'll decide to pursue.
I hope you are able to decide on just the right amount of data that suits your needs.

SharpShooter82
07-11-2021, 09:46 AM
When I started reloading pistol five years ago I only recorded group size and location from POA. I then got a chronograph and recorded all the info that it gave me. I created a spreadsheet for each test series that had all the pertinent load info and then a chart to record the chronograph info for each shot, a different chart for each group of shots. For example, if I am testing for powder charge and I make up five rounds in five different powder charges I will have five charts (tables may be a better word).

I started loading rifle a couple years ago using the same system. But after doing a lot more research I have changed things a bit. I now include weather data from the local airport and I keep all the targets.

I have a 80 yard range here at the house that I use for all my testing. So my data is really only good for comparison to my own data. When I do use a ballistic calculator I will always put in a 80 yard data point for comparison to my data.

I have purchased some of the “Rite in the rain” logbooks for each rifle and jot data down in them as well. These are really more like a diary than hardcore logbooks but when I go to other ranges they do come in handy.

I am starting competition shooting (just for fun) with my M1 so the log book will become more useful now.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
07-12-2021, 12:55 AM
7 more and you can view the classifieds.

tech610
07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
I use a small spiral notebook. When I get home, I transfer rounds fired information into a spreadsheet. If there is some additional information, I enter it in a computer organizer software such as the TreePad. Some pages at the end of my spiral notebook are permanent notes and these pages are tabbed, so when the time comes for a new notebook, these pages get moved to that new notebook.
When I did my load development, I transferred target bullet holes to a clean sheet of graph paper with appropriate notes such as a load and a bullet type. These pages were later scanned into pdf notebook.

7kings
07-13-2021, 07:20 PM
I use a small spiral notebook. When I get home, I transfer rounds fired information into a spreadsheet. If there is some additional information, I enter it in a computer organizer software such as the TreePad. Some pages at the end of my spiral notebook are permanent notes and these pages are tabbed, so when the time comes for a new notebook, these pages get moved to that new notebook.
When I did my load development, I transferred target bullet holes to a clean sheet of graph paper with appropriate notes such as a load and a bullet type. These pages were later scanned into pdf notebook.

I like the idea of transferring the bullet holes to a sheet of graph paper. Makes it easier to visualize later without having to save full targets. Good idea.

SharpShooter82
07-13-2021, 07:53 PM
I like the idea of transferring the bullet holes to a sheet of graph paper. Makes it easier to visualize later without having to save full targets. Good idea.

When I shoot at the Talladega Marksmanship Park I take pictures of the e-target screen, at home I cut out and keep only the group portion of the target. The better you shoot the smaller it is[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech610
07-14-2021, 11:38 AM
I want to add, that if your groups are reasonable small, than you can fit more than one group on one sheet of paper, then comparing your groups becomes much easier task, when you are looking at a few groups on one page sitting in front of you computer.

PhilC
07-14-2021, 11:45 AM
7 more and you can view the classifieds.
All members can view classifieds, new members are restricted from posting or replying to ads and basic members can reply to, but not post, an ad. :usa2:

As such, those classified as New Members can view ads but not place or reply to ads. Those classified as Basic Members can view and reply to ads, but not place ads. To place an ad you will need to become a Team Savage member which will also make you eligible for all of the other additional benefits that come with being a Team Savage member.