PDA

View Full Version : What press do you use?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

7kings
06-17-2021, 07:18 PM
I've always used a Dillon 550b manual indexing progressive for my handgun loads. It's worked well for me when loading for bulk in 9mm, .38, .45, etc... but I'm thinking of getting a single stage for precision reloading for rifle. This way, I can leave the 550 set up for handgun and have the single-stage for slow and methodical reloading for precision.

Curious what everyone is using? I was thinking that going with something compatible with the Hornady LnL bushings would be nice to save time during die swap-outs (and maybe just getting the Hornady Classic itself).

Danatkins8605
06-17-2021, 07:43 PM
550b for my pistol and 5.56. Rock chucker for bolt gun

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

7kings
06-17-2021, 07:48 PM
Do you use LnL bushings with it or do you just reset the dies each time you change stages? Also, how do you like it? RCBS is a great brand and I know the Rock Chucker is a popular option.

NF1E
06-17-2021, 08:19 PM
Rock-Chucker or a Forster for me.

celltech
06-17-2021, 08:23 PM
Good old Lee Breech Lock...

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/

Danatkins8605
06-17-2021, 08:34 PM
Do you use LnL bushings with it or do you just reset the dies each time you change stages? Also, how do you like it? RCBS is a great brand and I know the Rock Chucker is a popular option.Lock rings. Love it but if I had it to do over I would get the summit

7kings
06-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Lock rings. Love it but if I had it to do over I would get the summit

The Summit is the one where the case remains stationary but the die moves, right? I saw some videos on that a couple weeks ago. Seems pretty cool, but I'd be interested in hearing how it stacks up against more traditional press setups.

Danatkins8605
06-17-2021, 08:48 PM
Yes. Less runout

charlie b
06-17-2021, 10:40 PM
Lee Loadmaster. But, it isn't for everyone. Primer system is a bit finicky. Other than that it works well. But, can't beat the Dillon stuff, except for the price.

But, if I already had my dies in the LnL bushings I'd get a single stage that used the same setup. I did that when I had a Lee Auto Breechlock. Have a single stage that uses the Lee bushings. Made it easy to switch things around. Now days I only use the single stage for cast bullet sizing.

Robinhood
06-18-2021, 12:31 AM
Yes. Less runout

Who worries about R.O.

:behindsofa:

Or Neck Tension
or Accurate Powder Charge Weight
or Case Weight

JW
06-18-2021, 06:10 AM
Lee cast turret set up manual and forster here. I do load some 223 on a hornady LNL progressive.

My shooting buddy has been loading rifle rounds for years with dillon 550 presses. Multible rifle calibers. He is only using the tool head for resize and seating. Weighs and drops his powder.
That said, his ammo is consistant out to 940 yds ( as far as we have to shoot at this point)
A tool head and a good set of dies might surprise you with the dillon.
I also understand wanting a single stage as that is why I have the forster

Pressman
06-18-2021, 07:37 AM
Which press is always a favorite topic of mine. Long, long ago I began reloading with a Lyman 310 tool and quickly advanced to a Tru-Line Jr. That little orange press filled my reloading needs for the next twenty years. Then I began shooting competition and was issued a Glock 17 for a carry gun and suddenly dies were a problem. I picked up a Herter's Model 3 and it served my well, till shellholders became a problem. Then I was loaned a RCBS Rockchucker and I was hooked. To me there was no finer press. I gave the RC back to it's owner during a move. The other presses remain with me today. But I needed a Rock Chucker, turns out my favorite gun shop had an RCBS 2A for sale so it followed me home and became my primary press for several years.

After a lot of life getting in the way I began shooting and reloading again last summer. Now a RCBS Big Max and a Precision Reloader PR-3 occupy center stage on my bench.

Reloading is a hobby and a peaceful pastime. Rather than churn out loads as quickly as possible I enjoy the time alone with my tools crafting and creating each loaded round. It's good therapy.

So, I still have every press I bought back in those early days, along with nearly 300 other presses, reloaders and tong tools. You see there was a Herter's catalog that came with that old Model 3 press and once I read George's inspirational copy I was hooked, I needed one of everything. That desire just mushroomed till I have nearly one of everything, from every maker.

Ken

GaCop
06-18-2021, 07:40 AM
I've been using a Rock Chucker Supreme for at least 30 years now.

7kings
06-18-2021, 08:24 AM
Lee Loadmaster. But, it isn't for everyone. Primer system is a bit finicky. Other than that it works well. But, can't beat the Dillon stuff, except for the price.

But, if I already had my dies in the LnL bushings I'd get a single stage that used the same setup. I did that when I had a Lee Auto Breechlock. Have a single stage that uses the Lee bushings. Made it easy to switch things around. Now days I only use the single stage for cast bullet sizing.

I love my 550 - I haven't had any complaints about the precision or function and you can't beat the Dillon no-BS warrantee; they absolutely stand behind their stuff. Several years back I had one primer pickup tube that started consistently getting jammed while loading it up. I called them to figure out what the issue might be and without a second thought they sent me out a new set of small primer pickup tubes. It wasn't any sort of problem with the press, but they are more interested in keeping their customers happy. That made me a fan for life. If they made a single-stage press, I'd probably pick one of those up without hesitation.

Lee cast turret set up manual and forster here. I do load some 223 on a hornady LNL progressive.

My shooting buddy has been loading rifle rounds for years with dillon 550 presses. Multible rifle calibers. He is only using the tool head for resize and seating. Weighs and drops his powder.
That said, his ammo is consistant out to 940 yds ( as far as we have to shoot at this point)
A tool head and a good set of dies might surprise you with the dillon.
I also understand wanting a single stage as that is why I have the forster

I don't doubt the Dillon, but I'm pretty set on a solid single-stage press for slow, methodical, precision reloading for rifle. It's a little too easy to start unconsciously picking up speed on a progressive press and I'd rather not be tempted to get ahead of myself. :D

... Reloading is a hobby and a peaceful pastime. Rather than churn out loads as quickly as possible I enjoy the time alone with my tools crafting and creating each loaded round. It's good therapy.

Ken

I really enjoy the detail work associated with slow reloading. For 9mm, I generally tend to focus more on quantity, but for .45ACP for my 1911s I try to slow down and pay attention to all the details, measuring each case, completed cartridges, and double-checking every few powder drops (the Dillon powder system is really good about consistent drops as long as it's not a finicky powder). The process is almost meditative and lets you forget about everything else for a short amount of time. It's very similar to getting on the Harley and cruising some back country roads. Good therapy.

ragsflh
06-18-2021, 09:04 AM
blue kool aid 550.rifle rcbs rock chucker

Nor Cal Mikie
06-18-2021, 09:27 AM
RCBS Rock Chucker. Nuff said.
Everything from 17 VHA on up to 30.06 and a BUNCH in between.
Pistol or rifle, long or short, they all get the Rock Chucker treatment.

PhilC
06-18-2021, 10:51 AM
Loaded everything with a Rockchucker since '86 or '87 never needed more until this year so added a Dillon XL750 in April as I'm now loading for my brother too.

Orezona
06-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Co-Ax and Rock Chucker

dangerranger
06-18-2021, 03:31 PM
I've always used a Dillon 550b manual indexing progressive for my handgun loads. It's worked well for me when loading for bulk in 9mm, .38, .45, etc... but I'm thinking of getting a single stage for precision reloading for rifle. This way, I can leave the 550 set up for handgun and have the single-stage for slow and methodical reloading for precision.

Curious what everyone is using? I was thinking that going with something compatible with the Hornady LnL bushings would be nice to save time during die swap-outs (and maybe just getting the Hornady Classic itself).

If I were ever going to be swaging [bullets or cases] I would look no farther than the RCBS Rock Chucker. It is the king of heavy duty presses. But for loading presision ammo there are a few that give it a run! Any of the Co-Axe type presses, or any of the arbor presses would get the nod. But the Arbor type presses use special dies.

Just know I can make Good ammo on the cheapest Lee press, But I am going to work a little harder for it. Some of the more specialized presses cost more up front, but they make the end result easier to turn out!
I am not shure that a die adjusted in a L n L bushing will be adjusted correctly when installed into another press. That would depend on the presses. You would be more likely to get that sucessful change over by using the same brand press! Good Luck. DR

7kings
06-18-2021, 03:37 PM
If I were ever going to be swaging [bullets or cases] I would look no farther than the RCBS Rock Chucker. It is the king of heavy duty presses. But for loading presision ammo there are a few that give it a run! Any of the Co-Axe type presses, or any of the arbor presses would get the nod. But the Arbor type presses use special dies.

Just know I can make Good ammo on the cheapest Lee press, But I am going to work a little harder for it. Some of the more specialized presses cost more up front, but they make the end result easier to turn out!
I am not shure that a die adjusted in a L n L bushing will be adjusted correctly when installed into another press. That would depend on the presses. You would be more likely to get that sucessful change over by using the same brand press! Good Luck. DR

I don't use LnL bushings today - I was thinking that when I set up a single stage press, it would be nice to use the LnL bushings so I didn't need to set up the dies every time I switched stages. I don't anticipate sharing dies between presses - I'm going to keep the 550 for handgun and the single stage for rifle.