PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for sub-$500 scope

Pages : [1] 2

7kings
06-17-2021, 03:44 PM
Hi all. I'm looking around for a scope to mount on my .243 for 300-600 yard shooting. I'll be punching paper only and am going to be working handloads to get as precise as I can (for the fun of it). I don't anticipate this scope being dragged through the outback or airdropped into Somalia, so it doesn't need to be bullet-proof - just decent quality.

I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP on another rifle that I've been pleased with (I know that people are split on Vortex, and I'm not looking to start any arguments), and my initial inclination was to just pick up another of those, but I wanted to see if anyone had alternate suggestions that I may want to entertain as well.

Thanks!

99 K 30-30
06-17-2021, 06:02 PM
You have a fine scope. For $600 there are dozens of minty quality scopes on Ebay. With Buyer Protection, you can't go wrong.

celltech
06-17-2021, 06:12 PM
The D-Back is sufficient for what you are doing. They are not known for the best tracking in the world, but it's ok. If you want to try something different look at Arken in that price range.

7kings
06-17-2021, 06:16 PM
Thanks - like I said, I'm really pleased with the one I already have and was thinking of picking up an MOA version (I have the MIL version on the other rifle, but found I prefer MOA) for this rifle.

yoda4x4
06-17-2021, 07:56 PM
I'm a big fan of my Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jpdown
06-17-2021, 08:44 PM
Look at the Sightron S-TAC with MOA-2 reticle.

wbm
06-17-2021, 10:00 PM
+1

jpx2rk
06-18-2021, 07:17 AM
I have a couple Athlon Talos series 6x24, and they work fine out to 300 yds as I tested one out yesterday, can't say for any further yet.

hamiltonkiler
06-18-2021, 07:44 AM
Anything with good marks in the reticle that match the turrets. At 300$ the swfa is my favorite, magnification isn’t a big deal to me as 10-12x is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7kings
06-18-2021, 08:02 AM
Anything with good marks in the reticle that match the turrets. At 300$ the swfa is my favorite, magnification isn’t a big deal to me as 10-12x is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have an SWFA SS on a Remington 700 (long gone) - I was pretty happy with it at the time, but I prefer variable zoom, which pushes the price above what I'm looking for.

SageRat Shooter
06-18-2021, 10:18 AM
Sightron S-Tac, Arken, Athlon, Element optics.

jkv45
06-18-2021, 10:33 AM
I have a couple Athlon Talos series 6x24, and they work fine out to 300 yds as I tested one out yesterday, can't say for any further yet.

Just picked up an Athlon Talos 4-12x 40 Mil/Mil for a project, but not mounted yet. So far it looks pretty decent. I also have a couple SWFAs in 10x and 12x, both of which I've been very happy with.

Dave Hoback
06-19-2021, 03:29 PM
I am an Athlon fan. But I would say, you’ve been pleased with your Diamondback. So, you may not want to switch? I say go with the one which is equipped with the features you want in your price range. Every few years another brand is released which becomes the “New” best budget brand. I believe quality is relatively equal in this price range. Sure, everyone now is talking about all the Vortex failures. Yet, Vortex has been so popular these last 7-8 years....their numbers sold is astronomical. So of course there be more cases of failure. But they do come through with the warranty. As does Athlon, Sightron & I’m sure the new player Arken will be no different.

7kings
06-19-2021, 06:09 PM
I am an Athlon fan. But I would say, you’ve been pleased with your Diamondback. So, you may not want to switch? I say go with the one which is equipped with the features you want in your price range. Every few years another brand is released which becomes the “New” best budget brand. I believe quality is relatively equal in this price range. Sure, everyone now is talking about all the Vortex failures. Yet, Vortex has been so popular these last 7-8 years....their numbers sold is astronomical. So of course there be more cases of failure. But they do come through with the warranty. As does Athlon, Sightron & I’m sure the new player Arken will be no different.

Yeah, completely. I like the DB, and will likely go with another one, only in MOA instead of MIL. I was wondering if there were other options I should explore. Lots of good information and everyone has been helpful. Good group of folks here.

efm77
06-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Another vote for the Sightron S-Tac. Hard to beat in that price range.

want2ride
07-03-2021, 08:42 PM
BLEMISHED Burris Veracity Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 30mm FFP Ballistic Plex E1 - Matte | Natchez (natchezss.com) (https://www.natchezss.com/blemished-burris-veracity-rifle-scope-3-15x50mm-30mm-ffp-ballistic-plex-e1-matte.html)

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 11:49 PM
Yeah, completely. I like the DB, and will likely go with another one, only in MOA instead of MIL. I was wondering if there were other options I should explore. Lots of good information and everyone has been helpful. Good group of folks here.

Well, I don't know what your price range is but if you have not looked at CameralandNY or Liberty Optics at least scan what they have.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d43.html

(http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d43.html)

Robinhood
07-03-2021, 11:51 PM
For a few hundred more

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d139.html

7kings
07-04-2021, 08:12 AM
Thanks for this. I was originally planning on picking up another Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44mm, but now I'm thinking I'd like a higher magnification (20-25x) and have been looking at the Arken SH4 Gen 2 FFP 6-24x50mm. Based on a lot of reviews and feedback from other owners, it sounds like the Arken glass tends to be brighter than the Vortex for about the same price-point.

Right now I have the DB mounted on the Savage (stole it from the AR temporarily) and decided that for precision paper punching at ranges out to 300-600yds, the 16x is not high enough for me. If I was using it for hunting, I'd keep the lower magnification, but shooting prone or bench rest, I'd rather have more zoom.

Mr.Snerdly
07-07-2021, 09:23 PM
I like my Bushnell Nitros. List price is $661 but I think they are discontinuing them and I got 3 of them now anywhere from $289 for the first down to about $215 for the last one when the rebate was figured in. I had a Vortex Viper before and cussed the gun or myself until I finally figured out the scope was defective. Pretty clear and so far it is holding zero. They might be about gone now though, getting harder to find at least.