PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a .308 111

bottlerocket
11-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone, didn't see an into forum so I figured I'd post it in here. I just picked up a Savage 111 .308 lefty today and cant wait to get it to the range. Its my first rifle and I really look forward to getting to know it. Its got a Redfield scope of unknown model (2x-7x) and a bipod, but otherwise its all stock. Anything I should know up front about the rifle? Any good resources about the 111 specifically with regard to care, maintenance and upgrades? Also anything that would be suggested to have changed or looked at? Thanks!

Dennis
11-20-2010, 11:24 PM
First, welcome to the site.

You will find any information your are looking for here!

The gun should shoot fine.

All I have ever done to any of my hunting guns is bed the stock and work on the trigger a little. But's that's just me! The gun should shoot 168 and 175grn bullets just fine!

I am sure cleaning procedures are in here somewhere, but a good rifle gun cleaning kit with instructions should be a good start! Not much care needed on your gun! You might try a search on this site on cleaning your rifle, but I believe you have to be a member to do so!

Midwayusa, a big gun/ammo supplier has several "cleaning" video's on You Tube. I usually don't recommend You Tube, but there are some great videos about cleaning your gun there. And if they are made by Midway, there safe!

And if you get into reloading, there are many great videos there also!

Good Luck

Dennis
11-20-2010, 11:40 PM
PS: Spend the twelve bucks and become a member. It will be the best twelve dollars you ever spent.

ellobo
11-21-2010, 01:18 AM
If its a 111 then its a long action built to shoot short action cartridges if its a .308, like a 110 series J. I would recommend you get some coppr remover cleaner and use it as Savage barrels do copper up a lot. Make it part of your cleaning regimen. Aftrmarket stocks, barrels, trigger guards (metal) better recoil lug if you swap barrels, triggers are all available to the do-it-yourselfers. All easy with Savages. No gunsmith needed. I assume this is a used rifle thats why I suggested the copper cleaner of which there are several available for cleaning rifles.

El Lobo

bottlerocket
11-21-2010, 02:05 AM
If its a 111 then its a long action built to shoot short action cartridges if its a .308, like a 110 series J. I would recommend you get some coppr remover cleaner and use it as Savage barrels do copper up a lot. Make it part of your cleaning regimen. Aftrmarket stocks, barrels, trigger guards (metal) better recoil lug if you swap barrels, triggers are all available to the do-it-yourselfers. All easy with Savages. No gunsmith needed. I assume this is a used rifle thats why I suggested the copper cleaner of which there are several available for cleaning rifles.

El Lobo

Well it says 111 on the side of the front part of the barrel but it also says its a .308. Not sure why it would say both if the 111 didn't come in .308

Unless I'm reading it wrong altogether and its a Model III, which I've never heard of.

The only thing I want to change so far is a different stock. This one is rather thin and when I really tuck my cheek up on it, my eye is past the reticule.

geargrinder
11-21-2010, 12:32 PM
My 110 long action came from the factory as a 308. It was a long action everything except the bottom mag opening. It is short action size.

Now it's a 338 Edge.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg

bottlerocket
11-21-2010, 02:49 PM
My 111 doesn't even have a bottom mag opening.

geargrinder
11-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm referring to the magazine opening in the action, not the stock. :)