PDA

View Full Version : not liking the MDT

pighunter284
06-12-2021, 09:51 PM
so i put together an MDT LSS-XL and im just not feeling it. ill post a picture tomorrow, it looks great feels great, for what ever reason i cant get used to the dang thing. i really thought i would like it but i guess im more of a traditional stock guy? ive got behind choate and McMillian and loved it. i guess the 1 piece design has some special ergonomic that works for me. anyone else have these issues? dang shame because a got a bunch of mags on sale this Christmas from MDT and if i switch stocks i would like to be able to use them in another one.

NF1E
06-13-2021, 05:26 AM
As originally configured I did not like the " feeling " of the MDT chassis that was on my Stealth. After experimenting with different hand grips and buttstock rigs I love the thing. Made me a believer in 6.5 Creedmoor.

CFJunkie
06-13-2021, 07:50 AM
When I switched from a factory stock to an Oryx chassis (poor man's MDT) I realized that the straight chassis from receiver to butt would change my cheek weld position, similar to what an AR recoil tube does to positioning.

Having had a similar problem with changing cheek weld that forced me to scrunch down on my Les Baer to get positioned into the center of the scope's optical plane and I could never get comfortable until I went to higher rings.
So I went to higher rings when I changed to the Oryx chassis and had no issues with positioning.
I now have two Oryx chassis with higher rings and fell better with them than the factory stocks or my HS Precision stock that came with my Savage 12 LRP.
I actually saw an improvement in accuracy (around 10%) using the Oryx shooting the same loads.

You might check to see if you find that you are having to scrunch down to get a good sight picture in the scope.

pighunter284
06-14-2021, 10:59 AM
I've tried 3 different stocks and at least 3 different grips. i dont feel like im scrunching, my sight picture is spot on using medium height rings. i had that issue with the first set of rings i was using.
what stocks did you finally stay with? i stayed with Strike Industries modular fixed stock
same with grips. i have a 15 degree grip, i dont like the vertical ones.
thanks

snowgetter1
06-14-2021, 10:53 PM
I am in same boat as CF. High rings and now I love it.

Robinhood
06-17-2021, 01:00 AM
Same for me. Scope centerline makes it. The MDT Skeleton Rifle Butstock has a vertical, horizontal and cant adjustment. That can also make it more comfortable. Once you get it right you don't change it.

https://mdttac.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4bf46d55c7cedd0cf67990cf10713b87/m/d/mdt_skeleton_rifle_stock_v5_buttstock_for_rifle_ch assis_2_.gif

Dave Hoback
06-21-2021, 04:25 PM
For me it was kinda easy, as the AR15 has been my favorite rifle for a long time. I went with the MDT TAC21 chassis & use a Magpul MOE pistol grip. But like Robin pointed out, I did struggle with the stock.

So I machined parts & fabricated my own with adjustments. It’s manual adjustment, via shims/spacers, but again, as Robin pointed out....once it’s set for you, Fuhgeddaboudit!
https://i.ibb.co/qyp8Z4r/F1-FFBF09-BEFF-4-E8-F-84-CA-B5-A406-CB9178.jpg (https://ibb.co/C1QyrXH)

coorslight
07-06-2021, 08:29 AM
Bought an Elite precision, a few months ago with the MDT Chassis, been working up loads for it. Came home the other day from the range, Wife says what happened to the side of your cheek looked in the mirror, kind of bloody didn't think much of it. next day take rifle out, dried blood on cheek piece. HMMM, I guess it was pinching me and didn't realize it. lowered cheek piece, lock tight on the tension screws that always seem to loosen. Put my padded cheek piece from another rifle on it. aligns perfect for the scope, no more blood.

Blue Avenger
07-08-2021, 01:35 PM
looks like tomorrow hasn't come yet

Dave Hoback
07-11-2021, 11:53 PM
looks like tomorrow hasn't come yet

LOL! Pretty good.