PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 build questions

DuckinTundra
06-10-2021, 08:44 PM
Hello All, first post here but IÂ’ve got some questions regarding a Gun build
i have a 20 year old or so savage 110 7mm rem mag I got from my dad and IÂ’m working on upgrading/building off of it

i bought a bell and Carlson spotter stock for it and IÂ’m trying to figure out what barrel I need, I am currently looking at McGowan barrels and their different options leave me with questions.

How do I know what threading my action is looks like the options are savage standard/large/target.?

Also what barrel contour will fit the bell and Carlson sporter stock? IÂ’m guessing the savage sporter will fit, but will the savage magnum fit?

I am also looking g to put a break or suppressor on the barrel is there a more common muzzle threading that is normally used it looks like the options are 1/2, 9/16, or 5/8 is there one that is more standard or gives me more options.

Thanks

GaCop
06-11-2021, 06:34 AM
Your action should be for the small shank barrel. What caliber are you considering for the build. If you get away from the belted magnum round you'll need a new bolt head. The savage magnum barrel should fit but you may have to open up the barrel channel a bit to free float that size barrel. the size threading you'll need is predicated on the actually barrel size you end up getting.

DuckinTundra
06-11-2021, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I would not have guessed small shank. I am going to keep it 7mm RM the current barrel just has some decent pitting in the last few inches that I think is affecting accuracy, and I also have l a lot of 7mmRM brass that I wouldn’t have a use for if I changed caliber.

efm77
06-11-2021, 08:39 AM
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

This should help with barrel shank size information. If your rifle is a sporter model, I'd about guarantee it's a small shank. Very few specialty models were chambered for belted magnums on the large shank.

DuckinTundra
06-11-2021, 05:31 PM
Yup that helps it is defiantly the standard shank.

GaCop
06-12-2021, 07:06 AM
What ever barrel maker you end up going with, they can advise the best threading to use. A magnum sporter barrel at 24" should work for your application. A stainless steel barrel will break in a bit faster and clean up easier than chrome moly steel.