PDA

View Full Version : 1970'S First Gen. "Short" Action Barrel Throat???

seagiant
06-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Hi,
Getting ready to load up my first rounds for this old rifle...

Checked OAL of cartridge with a Hornady gauge, and...

When the ogive hit the lands the bullet was completely out of the case and about a 1/16" of the push rod, sticking out.

Admittedly, this is a 55 gr. flat base bullet, but that seems like a hec of a jump?

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this???

GaCop
06-10-2021, 07:25 AM
Any idea how many rounds have been through the barrel? Enough rounds can lengthen the throat through erosion. Try some heavier bullets. If you have access to a bore scope, that will show you the condition of the barrel.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Factory Savage barrels had long throats. Seemed to be the norm.
My .223 (110V) loaded to to fit the mag OAL was killing ground squirrels out to 200+ yards with no issues.
Load the 55s with full case/neck contact and see what your target tells you. Adjust from there. Load the OAL to fit the mag.
I single feed so no OAL restrictions. ;)
Long throat? That's why I go ZERO FREEBORE on my custom ordered chambers or custom reamers.
Go with the lightest bullets I can get my hands on, stuffed into the lands and go heavier as the throat wears. (and it will)
In your case, you don't have a choice so load accordingly. You may be pleasantly surprised.

seagiant
06-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Hi,
Thanks, no, I have no idea, it was an old rifle in my LGS and traded a Ruski Mosin for it.

The lure of it for me was it was a LH model and in a caliber I liked.

Finally got my scope on and when I went to start reloading, used the Hornady OAL Gauge and got quite a surprise.

I will take your advice and build the rounds to spec on the OAL, just to see what it does, at 100 yds.

Thanks, again!

charlie b
06-10-2021, 06:18 PM
I like the longer throat on my Axis. It allows loading the 77gn SMK's out so the powder is not compressed as much.

seagiant
06-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Hi,
Well from what I can gleen talking to different people...

Savage Factory rifles had long throats to begin with.

I have a friend that has a bore scope and we are going to look at the throat tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

Nor Cal Mikie
06-11-2021, 09:22 AM
(I have a friend that has a bore scope and we are going to look at the throat tomorrow)
THAT could be the "kiss of death". If it was me, I'd load some ammo and go shooting.
Might shoot bug holes? Then you look in the bore with a scope, :eek::eek: and find out it junk.
It shot bug holes but the bore scope told you different.:rolleyes: Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!

seagiant
06-11-2021, 04:26 PM
Hi,
Well....Looked at the barrel and the throat looks pretty bad, but...

I am going to go shoot it at 100yds. and see what it does.

I loaded the rounds, .025 over spec OAL, we shall see!

CFJunkie
06-11-2021, 07:54 PM
My oldest Savage, a 2008 vintage .308, had a chamber that was 0.080 deeper than the SAAMI recommended O.A.L. of 2.800.
So I would agree with the comment about older Savages having longer throats.
It eroded an additional 0.090 over 6,500 rounds of use.

As the lands eroded, I simply seated the bullets out longer and longer until finally I was loading out at 2.970 O.A.L. and I started to lose accuracy, I believe because I couldn't maintain consistent neck tension with so little bullet body in the cartridge neck. Fortunately, the magazine was long enough to allow me to load rounds that long.

Where the bullet seats in the chamber depends a lot on the caliber and weight of the bullet.
Light bullets, especially .223s, are incredibly short and have very short bullet bodies, especially if they are boat tails.
I have two .223s that using 52 grain bullets, the bullets will drop out of the neck before they reach the lands, but 69 grain bullets seat beautifully in the lands while still in the neck.
My 6.5mm Creedmoors with from 130 to 147 grain bullets and the .308s with 150 to 200 grain bullets have no problem keeping the bullets in the neck.

Interestingly, my newer Savages purchased after 2010, 7 bolt-actions in multiple calibers, came with chambers that had relatively short throats.
So I am not sure that Savage still manufactures their barrels with long throats.
I think the shorter throats added at least 4000 rounds of additional barrel life based on my experience with my old Savage.

seagiant
06-12-2021, 08:41 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info,interesting ,for me!

Pressman
06-18-2021, 07:41 AM
A shout out to Seagiant, It's been a long time since I have seen you around. Glad to know all is well.

Pressman

seagiant
06-24-2021, 08:16 PM
A shout out to Seagiant, It's been a long time since I have seen you around. Glad to know all is well.

Pressman

Hi,
Pressman!

Was thrown out of "The Pit" at Cast Boolits for telling the truth so just left after more than 20 years, but...

Things change...

Still reloading and shooting, working in my shop and enjoying retirement.

Hope everything is good with you and thanks again for all that great info on the Presses!!!

Where's that book at???

Should put all that knowledge down!