PDA

View Full Version : ordered the parts today

tropicmaster
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
First off I want to thank all of you who chimed in with answers and opinions! I bought a 110 LA from one of the forum members and will FTF on friday for that. Today I called Sharpshootersupply and ordered the LVT stock with comb and hook, the 6.5x20x44 Viper in Mildot,Ken Ferrel bases, Burris Zee rings, and a recoil lug. Then I called Jim Briggs and ordered a 28" premium match McGowen bull barrel in .308. So in about 3 weeks or so when all the pieces get here I will join the Savage custom owners club. It might just come together in time for the fall 600 at Camp Butner. Not that I will even be able to find paper at first, but it will be fun trying!

Cycler
10-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Three weeks? I ordered a stainless 7mm-08 barrel and a Monte Carlo Sporter stock for my Model 16 from Sharpshooters at the beginning of September and was told 8 to 10 weeks for the parts. Then I'm going to send my rifle to them for a T&T, barrel fitting and recoil lug. I wonder what causes the time difference.

pdog06
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
You are gonna love that 308 barrel... I have one just like it and it is an absolute tackdriver, and have a 24" lt varmint contour on the way ;). Mine likes 43.5gr of Varget and 168SMK's(.020" off lands).

3 weeks is pretty quick to get everything. The barrel, lug, rings, bases, and scope can all be shipped right out, but 3 weeks for a custom stock? That would be awesome. Keep us updated on your build.

What color laminate did you go with?

Galveston22
10-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Man that is going to be a tack driver. You know you have to post pics now.

tropicmaster
10-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Three weeks? I ordered a stainless 7mm-08 barrel and a Monte Carlo Sporter stock for my Model 16 from Sharpshooters at the beginning of September and was told 8 to 10 weeks for the parts. Then I'm going to send my rifle to them for a T&T, barrel fitting and recoil lug. I wonder what causes the time difference.

This was a barrel Northlander had on the shelf. I would guess that yours had to be ordered. When I was on the phone with Jim went to his stock room and laid his hand on it to make sure he had it, then told me it would go out today on UPS. As for the stock from SSS I got lucky- they had one like I wanted that was ordered and then cancelled. So it was already cut and only needs finishing. I went with the black/black/black color because of this fact- had I gone with one that they had to start from scratch on it would have been 8 weeks.