PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 3 position safety detent ball ?

rsbhunter
06-01-2021, 12:32 PM
Posted this awhile back, but don't think I expressed my question correctly. I have a Savage 12 Target rifle that I replaced the complete trigger assembly with a Jard trigger assembly. After removing the trigger assembly, I had a small steel ball on the table with the original trigger assy. Is there a small steel ball that is used as a detent ball on the three position safety ? I checked the "blast shield" on the bolt, and it is NOT from there. Looked on Multichannel arms under Savage 12 parts, and it lists a "1/8" steel ball" for sale, but gives no other description than that.. Any clues as to where it came from would be a big help.....Thanks, rsbhunter

NF1E
06-01-2021, 03:35 PM
I believe a new Jard safety is needed with the trigger upgrade. At least they convinced me of it when I did a couple of mine.

Texas10
06-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Posted this awhile back, but don't think I expressed my question correctly. I have a Savage 12 Target rifle that I replaced the complete trigger assembly with a Jard trigger assembly. After removing the trigger assembly, I had a small steel ball on the table with the original trigger assy. Is there a small steel ball that is used as a detent ball on the three position safety ? I checked the "blast shield" on the bolt, and it is NOT from there. Looked on Multichannel arms under Savage 12 parts, and it lists a "1/8" steel ball" for sale, but gives no other description than that.. Any clues as to where it came from would be a big help.....Thanks, rsbhunter

The only place I can think of that uses that size steel ball is the extractor. Did you suffer an overpressure event or do any work on the extractor where the ball may have dropped past the action and into the stock? Sometimes a blown primer will expel the extractor off the bolt face and the ball can go just about anywhere.