PDA

View Full Version : Mixed up my brass .

skyking897
05-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Feel like a newb and looking for some advice. Normally whatever I do to any brass, I put it in a plastic tub along with a post-it detailing what's been done ( de-primed, resized, cleaned etc.) I recently picked up a single stage press along with a universal deprimer and that's all I plan on using it for. So I had a tub of 30-06 brass that I had deprimed and resized on my other press along with the usual post-it note. Move forward to the new single stage press and I deprimed about 20 pieces of 30-06 brass and got interupted before putting a note in the tub. A few days later I decide to clean this brass and toss both tubs of brass in the tumbler. I've since loaded all this brass and go to the range and find out the brass that I didn't resize won't fit all the way into the chamber. My bad, my mistake. Question, do I have to take these rounds apart and resize or can it be done with them intact. I'm fine either way just pissed off at myself.

NF1E
05-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Very easy boo boo to make. My suggestion would be to pick up a Redding body die which will allow you to resize the complete cartridge while loaded. I find a little Imperial sizing wax applied with the fingers works wonders for this operation. As they say, been there , done that more than once.

Robinhood
05-29-2021, 01:03 AM
This^^ and be very careful. Also get yourself some calipers and a set of hornady case headspace inspection tools. I think they call it lock and load.
https://www.natchezss.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/c/pchk66.jpg

NF1E
05-29-2021, 05:45 AM
An open side Sheridan cartridge gauge is a great tool too. I the cartridge drops in and out of the gauge, you are good to go. Allows you to physically see where things might be hanging up.

skyking897
05-31-2021, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm really interested in that open sided cartridge gauge. Going to look into getting one.

Texas10
06-13-2021, 11:34 AM
https://sheridanengineering.com/product/30-06-ammunition-gauge/