PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Selection - How Do You Do It?

yoda4x4
05-21-2021, 10:13 AM
I've recently picked up a new Savage 110 Storm LH 308. I took it to the range last Sunday to break it in, and to get an initial feeling of its potential accuracy. I shot it using Federal Power Shok 180gr since they're cheap and I have a few boxes of them. So far I'm thinking this gun has some really good potential. In the end, I'll be working up via reloading to create a hunting round. As a newcomer to reloading, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming with the available choices of bullet types. There's ballistic tipped, boat tail, non-boat tail... How do you all go about selecting a bullet when you reload? Do you pick the bullet you want and make the round accurate by the reloading process? Or do you try and find a round that works with the gun and then make it perfect by the reloading process? Does this make sense? Am I over thinking this?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Robinhood
05-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Flat based(no boat tai)l are sufficient for most hunting applications/ranges. Nothing wrong with a boat tail though. 150-180 will work best with a high probability that the 165-180 shooting the most accurately. There are always exceptions. Spire pointed bonded bullets are great. The tipped work I guess, I've never used them with the same success. The nosler bullets are good and I really like the game king by seirra.

wbm
05-21-2021, 01:52 PM
_.

charlie b
05-21-2021, 08:40 PM
A little bit of both. There are choices to make with the bullets and some bullets do like different loads/setups to get the best accuracy.

But, when hunting (unless it is long range stuff) the accuracy requirement is not that severe. So, I would pick the bullet to match whatever game you are going after and then load it up. Sierra reloading manual usually has recommendations for the best accuracy and hunting loads for their bullets.

Basically pick the bullets the same way you would pick a cartridge for hunting.

Stumpkiller
05-21-2021, 09:16 PM
Do you pick the bullet you want and make the round accurate by the reloading process? Or do you try and find a round that works with the gun and then make it perfect by the reloading process?

Yes. First, I pick a weight range and style of bullet that is suitable to my purpose (game size and distance or "just" targets) and then I buy a quantity of the various potential chocse and cull for the most accurate.

I shot eight different similar bullets to come up with my current whitetail deer load. Changed once based on unsatisfactory performance once in the deer.

Smokey262
05-21-2021, 10:15 PM
Isnt it easier now a days because the available in stock selections are slimmer?

charlie b
05-21-2021, 10:25 PM
Yep, these days you take what you can get :)

But, getting better. Local Sportsman's has a ton of ammo they got in this week. Primers and powder went fast, not many bullets. Ammo is starting to stay on the shelves longer, even the bulk .223.

yoda4x4
05-21-2021, 10:30 PM
Right now my list of potential bullets include: Hornady Interlock 165gr SP in both the boat tail and non-boat tail, Barnes 165/168gr TTSX. I plan on using these on hogs and deer with the shooting ranging from 0-300yds. Thoughts on these?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

gbflyer
05-21-2021, 10:48 PM
168gr AMAX.

mattri
05-21-2021, 11:11 PM
yoda4x4,
Both the Hornadys you mentioned and the Barnes are good bullets that will work well for deer out to 300. Hogs can be pretty tough, some may suggest a heavier bullet.

As you are starting out you may want to keep things simple for a bit. A basic Hornady sp is a great place to start, they are are effective, economical and there is a ton of load data out there.

Sierra's GameKing is another great choice.

I have some Hornady 165 intelocks #3040 and some Sierra 165 GameKings # 2145. If you want I can send you some of each to try.

Robinhood
05-22-2021, 10:56 AM
yoda4x4,
Both the Hornadys you mentioned and the Barnes are good bullets that will work well for deer out to 300. Hogs can be pretty tough, some may suggest a heavier bullet.

As you are starting out you may want to keep things simple for a bit. A basic Hornady sp is a great place to start, they are are effective, economical and there is a ton of load data out there.

Sierra's GameKing is another great choice.

I have some Hornady 165 intelocks #3040 and some Sierra 165 GameKings # 2145. If you want I can send you some of each to try.

Yep

Fuj'
05-29-2021, 09:11 AM
In the 308 class of bullets, my personal choice is in the 150 gr weight class of bullets. If you can
find them, the Winchester Silver Tips are my favorite overalls.

hardnosestreetcop
05-29-2021, 06:14 PM
The first thing I do is to check if the bullet is available from more than one source , there’s no sense in deciding on a bullet that’s never in stock .
Then I make sure it’s of a boat tail design for easier seating in the case mouth . Then I look at the cost pre 100 and 500, for example some of the Nosler bullets only come in boxes of 50, while Sierra & Hornady comes in boxes of 100 . By me being a target shooter I can use a hunting bullet for my target work again if it’s a boat tail, even if the target bullets are not in stock .

PhilC
05-31-2021, 10:28 AM
First criteria for me was what I plan to hunt, second was my personal distance limit (usually 350yds), last consideration was a bullet that satisfied those criteria.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-31-2021, 06:44 PM
For me, being that I only bench/target shoot, I go with the lightest bullet I can get my hands on. I roll my own ammo and all the bullets are seated into the "short throat". (usually zero free bore custom chambered) Then, as the throat wears I'll go to a heavier bullet so I can stay at the lands.
Nothing worse that finding "your load" and having it go away cause you can no longer reach the lands.
And all my loads are accurate, that's why I roll my own. ;) A 5 shot group that can be covered with a dime works for me. :cool:
And in most cases if anyone really checks, the throat will wear faster than expected. Nothing like planning ahead to stay on top.

dangerranger
06-13-2021, 12:03 PM
I know this is a few days old, But if the OP is still in the planning stage, maybe it will help.

I look at bullet selection from two angles.
If I have a satisfactory factory load then I try to duplicate that. Try to find that exact same bullet. If you can't find that Look for as close as you can find. Same weight, same profile, same heel design. And then I develop a powder load to make it as close as I can to the factory velocity, and factory length. From there I work on any improvements that will get me better accuracy.

If I'm starting with a bullet,and no load data, I look for several load books that agree on a powder. I'm taking advantage of several different loaders comming to the same conclusion. If three different scources tell me that 3031 will drive my bullet at the right speed, that would guide me to think 3031 is a good powder to start with.

Right now I have a new [to me] Axis in 223. It shoots some factory Rem 55 gr FMJ ammo into 3/4". But I need a Lead free load to hunt with in CA.
I have a good load that shoots very well out of an H&R Handi Rifle. But it has a 1 in 12 twist and a short throat. This same load in the Axis shoots about 1.5". So I have to either play with the seating depth, powder charge, or change to a longer bullet in the axis.

There are a lot of ways to start out, this is how I start. Good Luck, And let us know it goes! DR