PDA

View Full Version : Misfires with a Mod 11 trophy hunter.

strut64
05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
This rig has always been prone to misfires. It has an Axis style short action bolt with double firing pin spring set up. I have tried several different barrels, primers and checked the firing pin protrusion. Have worked to get the head space carefully set ( less than .003 ) I noticed that a consistent issue is the firing pin seems to strike off center of the primer with .378 bolt head. Have sort of given up and have moved my set up to a 110 long action. I get consistently good ignition in this set up. Looking at the bolt head the firing pin hole seems centered. There seems to be a lot of compaints about misfires with the short action set ups. Am I missing something?

Robinhood
05-07-2021, 12:03 PM
Just throwing some stuff at the wall to see if it sticks?

When you get a misfire is there an indentation in the primer?
Is your front action screw is not pushing on the bolt head making the bolt head off center?
Check to see if there is a problem with either of the rear firing pin springs.
Did you take the firing pin and roll it on a flat surface to see if it is bent?
Did you oil or grease the inside of the bolt body. Was the bolt body cleaned of all debris and gunk while you had the bolt apart?
What equipment did you use to remove or tighten the barrel? Vise? Action wrench? Barrel Vise? Something through the ejection port?

strut64
05-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Robin, Thanks for your thoughts. I will consider them carefully. when I get a misfire the primers are dented by the way.

Robinhood
05-07-2021, 10:32 PM
To make sure I didn't come across wrong, I suggest not lubricating the firing pin. Good luck.

Dave Hoback
05-07-2021, 11:52 PM
In addition to above, what kind of play is present in the firing pin to bolt head pin hole? Have the bolt head bushed to fix off center strike.

strut64
05-08-2021, 06:55 AM
To make sure I didn't come across wrong, I suggest not lubricating the firing pin. Good luck.
robin, your suggestions were constructive. appreciate your input. have taken some steps in the directions you gave. will need some range time to see if they helped.
weather currently around here is crappy.

Robinhood
05-08-2021, 09:38 PM
robin, your suggestions were constructive. appreciate your input. have taken some steps in the directions you gave. will need some range time to see if they helped.
weather currently around here is crappy.

Excellent! Let us know how it goes..