PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket THUMBHOLE stocks

Pages : [1] 2

r747
05-05-2021, 05:46 PM
After wrist and hand surgery am switching to Thumbhole stocks on my rifles. Next one up is my Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma with hinged floor plate. Drop in would be the best but if smith work is needed that's ok too. Want a good quality stock. Any and all advice will be gladly accepted. Thanks

Papa_D
05-05-2021, 10:30 PM
After wrist and hand surgery am switching to Thumbhole stocks on my rifles. Next one up is my Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma with hinged floor plate. Drop in would be the best but if smith work is needed that's ok too. Want a good quality stock. Any and all advice will be gladly accepted. ThanksLook at Boyd's.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

andrewsben
05-05-2021, 10:45 PM
I would second Boyd's. Have only had a couple of the thumbhole stocks but they were nice for the price. Have had a ton of at-ones and pro varmints and always had really good luck with them.

Stumpkiller
05-05-2021, 10:53 PM
I put my Model 11 in a Boyd's thumbhole. Added my own aluminum pillars and bedding job.

r747
05-05-2021, 11:45 PM
I like that set up. One difference is my 111 LRH has the hinged floorplate. Would I need a different stock or switch to external clip?

justinp61
05-06-2021, 09:46 AM
I have a couple Boyds thumbhole stocks, one has a rimfire in it and the other has a mdl 16 260 in it. The rifle is a RH but I put it in a LH stock. Like Stumpkiller I bedded and installed pillers.

Hardwood Gunstock Manufacturer | Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks (boydsgunstocks.com) (https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/)

Robinhood
05-06-2021, 11:52 AM
How much do you want to spend? Boyds AT 1 is growing on me. Stockade has 3 models of thumbhole...there is a wait.
Anytime I go to a laminate or wood stock or even a composite, it is pillars and bedding time for me.

r747
05-06-2021, 12:13 PM
How much do you want to spend? Boyds AT 1 is growing on me. Stockade has 3 models of thumbhole...there is a wait.
Anytime I go to a laminate or wood stock or even a composite, it is pillars and bedding time for me.
I agree and would plan to do a good bedding job. My problem so far is getting any of the above mentioned companies to answer or call back to make SURE I order the correct stock for my gun and trying to fill in the blanks on their online order forms nothing seems to answer every question concerning the 111 Long Range Hunter with BOTTOM bolt release and HINGED floor plate. Maybe I'm missing something??

Robinhood
05-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Tell us what stock you are after and we will look at the munu and check the options. One of the issues is that Savage made more than a couple of different inlets in the past 15 years. A guy with a dremel or grinder can carefuly make the fitment. Obviously the trigger gaurd makes a huge deal.

Oh. Long action or short action?

yobuck
05-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Curious as to why a laminated stock having all the epoxy between layers, would require pillars more so than a standard wood stock?
Also, is there no love at all here for the very beautiful stocks Richards Micro Fit sells?

Robinhood
05-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Glad you joined the conversation Yobuck. Greetings from the south. From what people have told me is that some laminate has the propensity to split under torque. I personally don't like the idea of of wood compression. It is a matter of preference, my insecurity drives my "feelings.

r747
05-06-2021, 01:27 PM
I want to try the Boyd's Spike Camp.My rifle is a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma. Long action,Bottom bolt release,Hinged floor plate,Center feed,5 1/16" action screw hole spacing.

r747
05-06-2021, 03:31 PM
I want to try the Boyd's Spike Camp.My rifle is a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma. Long action,Bottom bolt release,Hinged floor plate,Center feed,5 1/16" action screw hole spacing.
Update: Finally was contacted by Boyds. On their website you cannot match any stock to my rifle BUT with the help of a technician on the phone I have a stock ordered as we speak and they agreed with a good bedding job in addition to a small amount of possible inletting I'll have the set up I want.. THANKS for input from forum members!

Robinhood
05-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Edit. I was too late. Im glad you got it going your way!

1st Box: Savage
2nd Box: 111 Bottom Bolt Release
3rd Box: Long Action detachable magazine

Next page click on "Spike Camp"

Next page is for options. The only options on the spike camp is the laminate or wood and the engraving the best I can tell. There is an instruction and details paragraph. I believe this is what is giving you the heart ache.

....."Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 3/4" Center to Center of Action Screws: 5 1/16" Over All Length of Part: 29 1/2" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: This stock is designed for the Savage detachable box magazine rifle with bottom bolt release (located on the front of the trigger guard). The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release. The magazine inletting is designed for the removable frame from the factory stock. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the SAVAGE LA PLASTIC MAG WELL from our Accessories page, Part No. A09160. Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have bed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design. These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks.LA PLASTIC MAG WELL, part no. A09160. Not designed for old style side magazine release. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee" .....

At this point a help box may have popped up on your screen.

Based on the pictures of the plastic mag frame the inlet is different so yours will not fit(someone correct me if I am wrong) without some wood work/inletting. You can buy the plastic frame on the boyds webpage under accessories. I believe your magazine and follower will fit in the plastic bottom plate. I do not know where you can get the plate but It is probably something that is widely available. There may also be some form of high capacity magazine from someone like Dark Eagle that fits the plastic frame. Others might even make the whole bottom metal to fit that inlet.

So it is not a direct drop in go shoot thing but it is doable.

KMW1954
05-06-2021, 06:10 PM
Also, is there no love at all here for the very beautiful stocks Richards Micro Fit sells?

I just came across Richards Microfit Stocks and found 3 that I like. None with thumbholes. Not sure I would like the thumb hole. Also the solid hardwoods are cheaper than the composites. I also just started a conversation at THR about these stocks. What a coincidence!

Texas10
05-06-2021, 07:59 PM
These are plug and play. I bedded mine but it shot well without bedding. Comes with pillars.https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock--Short-Action-1011121416_p_14233.html

Robinhood
05-07-2021, 11:53 AM
I just came across Richards Microfit Stocks and found 3 that I like. None with thumbholes. Not sure I would like the thumb hole. Also the solid hardwoods are cheaper than the composites. I also just started a conversation at THR about these stocks. What a coincidence!

THR?

GaCop
05-08-2021, 07:33 AM
I put my Model 11 in a Boyd's thumbhole. Added my own aluminum pillars and bedding job.

7963:thumb::thumb:

RED333
05-09-2021, 07:59 AM

Got lots of love here, Browning 7mm Rem Mag

KMW1954
05-09-2021, 09:31 PM
THR?

The High Road.com another gun forum