PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce 20 MOA two piece base help

montana_native
11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Can someone who has had experience with these bases lend some advice? The directions that came with them are for Win and Rem short and long actions. I measured the bases to determine thickness on each end to determine the cant and installed them accordingly. When installed this way, the rear base hangs over the ejection port which doesn't seem right. When I rotate it 180° so that it is tapering toward the rear of the gun, it lines up flush with the rear of the receiver and is basically a mirror image of the front base but the taper is backward.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

Senderofan
11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
You didn't say what you're mounting them on? I've got a two piece base set for a Remington Long action....had it on my Remington Sendero .25-06. Never had problems with it encroaching on the port. Make sure you've got the right bases for your rig.

Wayne

montana_native
11-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Savage 110.

Thanks

Senderofan
11-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Montana:

Not sure if the bases are tremendously different than my Remington two piece bases are???? The thicker base is the rear one and the thinner one is the front...but you already know this. Did you have a chance to call NF regarding this? I've found their rings and bases to be of the highest quality...up there with Badger etc. I think if there is something amiss...they'd make it right by you.

Hope things turn out right for you...Have a great weekend!

Wayne

Captain Finlander
11-20-2010, 11:11 PM
They are tapered so there is a front and a back to the rear and a front and back to the front. Flip them over on a table so they or laying level on their back and use a straight edge to lay across their bellies. The 20 degree angle will present itself more clearly using the straight edge then there should be one that is thicker than the other. The thicker one is the rear base and is oriented to taper down towards the front and the same orientation for the front. This is the best way to describe it in so many words.

Slowpoke Slim
11-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Actually, from reading the original post, it doesn't sound like there's a problem at all.

I don't have a 2 pc Nightforce mount, BUT for the Leupold 2 pc mounts, it is not uncommon at all for the rear base to overhang the ejection port area. I have several hunting rifles with that setup that overhang the port. This will not cause any operational issues. When the fired round comes out of the port, it comes out front first. The rear of the cartridge exits the port after the front. Basically, the case is "flung out" upwards and outwards, and should easily miss the rear mount completely. Try ejecting a few empty casings for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

Now if it's just the cosmetics that bother you, the only real "solution" is a different mount, more than likely a 1 pc "picatinny" style base.

Captain Finlander
11-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Actually it makes sense for it to overhang the ejection port because of the long eye relief and large ocular lens of some modern scopes you may need to push it as far forward as possible. This sounds like it is suppose to be that way.

+1 with slowpoke slim

Don - LongRangeSupply
11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Be sure to check the flat surfaces (tops) to make sure they are parallel if installing on an older action with the flat rear.

I have found that the two piece NF bases are out of alignment on all my Savage flat rear actions, requiring serious shimming. I have never tried the two piece round rear style.