PDA

View Full Version : Who’s the go to for bushing a savage bolt head?

hafejd30
04-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Need a savage in 6.5 CM bushed. Has the well known excessive primer flow. I’ve seen several options and who would you recommend

Robinhood
04-26-2021, 06:12 PM
https://deshind.com/2017/09/04/savage-bolt-bushing/

DQL5150
04-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Dern, that's interesting. I had no idea there even was such a thing as bushing a bolt. Good luck hafejd!

PhilC
04-27-2021, 09:52 AM
That guy gets a lot respect for his work on another forum I follow and if I were to need a bolt head bushed, that's who I'd reach out to.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Got 5+ (I forget how many) Savage rigs and never had issues or felt the need to have a bolt head bushed.
IMHO, might check brass or head space specs before spending $$$ and still have issues.

wbm
04-27-2021, 12:00 PM
+1

Robinhood
04-27-2021, 01:49 PM
Got 5+ (I forget how many) Savage rigs and never had issues or felt the need to have a bolt head bushed.
IMHO, might check brass or head space specs before spending $$$ and still have issues.

I haven't either but many have fixed issues by doing this. If I had cratering or piercing issues, I would first check the diameter of the Pin and the diameter of the pin hole. If that was acceptable, then the length radius on the firing pin to make sure the radius was no longer than 020" - .030". Then I could determine a path forward.

Texas10
04-29-2021, 05:44 AM
If you're shooting small primer brass in your 6.5 CM I'd highly recommend bushing the bolt head. Grimstod bushed my 223 bolt head and it definitely improved the ignition consistency, and therefore groups. Gone is the cratering and blanking common in small primer brass. He reduces the firing pin diameter along bolt head clearance.

I had another stock Savage model 12FV that would crater and blank any load I fed it. After measuring the firing pin to bolt head fit, I found .007 to .008 clearance and knew right then what was wrong. I ordered a half dozen firing pins from Savage and cherry picked the best one for a .002 clearance, and that fixed the problem. I don't know if Savage will sell that part except to an FFL since ownership change, but that was an option 5 years ago.

Nontypical
04-29-2021, 06:18 AM
I replaced my bolt head with one from PTG when I converted my 110 to 6.8. I had the occasional FTF, so I decided to send him my bolt to check out and do some upgrades. Not really sure yet what the issue is, but I’m sure that he’ll figure it out.

Nontypical
05-05-2021, 12:53 PM
So I sent my bolt to Desh Industries and Grimstod got right to work on it. Somehow when I was trying to adjust my pin protrusion, I screwed it up and it was light on spring pressure as well as not having enough travel. He tuned everything up and also installed a lift kit for me. I can’t say enough about how quickly he turned it around at a very fair price. I wouldn’t hesitate to use his services again.

SingleSeven
08-11-2021, 08:09 PM
Will Savage bush the bolt head under warranty (or even as a paid service)? My 6.5CM is doing the same thing as the OP's.

charlie b
08-11-2021, 10:21 PM
Probably not. If the primers are simply cratered then it is not that big a deal, unless it is binding the gun. If they are being pierced, then yes, I'd take some fired factory ammo and send them the gun to get it fixed.

My Axis does the same thing (.223) as does my HK 9mm. Has not caused any issues in thousands of rounds.

Dave Hoback
08-12-2021, 03:41 AM
I agree with a couple others, never having needed to bush a bolt head. But if I wanted it done beyond doing it myself, I would indeed send it to Desh.