PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Stock for 111

MacDent
04-25-2021, 05:01 PM
I have a .270 Savage 111 w/synthetic stock. I am looking to replace the stock with a wood stock from Boyds. It would be a walnut, right-hand, bottom bolt release. The description says "If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the SAVAGE LA PLASTIC MAG WELL". I thought XP refers to a Savage rifle that sells with a scope. But I don't know what they mean here. I know that some wood stocks need something to reinforce the mag well. But what does "XP" have to do with it? Anybody know what they're talking about? Thanks for any help.

GaCop
04-26-2021, 07:13 AM
They may be referring to the Axis XP? The Axis is a long action that is changed for short action use by changing the trigger guard/mag block. Does your 111 have a detachable mag?

MacDent
04-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Yes, it has detachable mag. I thought about the Axis XP. But since the description was for a 111, I figured it must refer to something else.

SageRat Shooter
04-26-2021, 11:09 AM
I have a 111XP that I ordered a pro varmint for. I had to order the Bottom metal from Savage (for wood stocks). Because the mag well on the Synthetic stock is part of the stock mold. You can't take it out and swap it to the new wood stock. That was a few years ago, so they may have added the "plastic mag well" more recently.

MacDent
04-26-2021, 12:05 PM
I have a 111XP that I ordered a pro varmint for. I had to order the Bottom metal from Savage (for wood stocks). Because the mag well on the Synthetic stock is part of the stock mold. You can't take it out and swap it to the new wood stock. That was a few years ago, so they may have added the "plastic mag well" open more recently.

OK, Thanks. Doesn't the XP mean the scope is included? If not, then what's the difference between a 111 and 111XP?

SageRat Shooter
04-26-2021, 12:12 PM
OK, Thanks. Doesn't the XP mean the scope is included? If not, then what's the difference between a 111 and 111XP?

I always understood it the same way you do. XP means it comes with the scope and rings... I'm at a loss now.

MacDent
04-26-2021, 01:58 PM
SageRat,

Regarding the "Plastic Mag Well", here's the reply I got from Boyds customer service: "If you are going from a synthetic stock to a wood stock and your stock does not have a removeable magazine well, then you will need to purchase one." This is much clearer than the description given with the wood stock item.

SageRat Shooter
04-26-2021, 02:44 PM
SageRat,

Regarding the "Plastic Mag Well", here's the reply I got from Boyds customer service: "If you are going from a synthetic stock to a wood stock and your stock does not have a removeable magazine well, then you will need to purchase one." This is much clearer than the description given with the wood stock item.

Ok, sounds like the same thing I had to do on my Pro Varmint. They just didn't have a plastic option at the time. Mine is real bottom metal.

300Blackout_Drunk
04-28-2021, 12:25 AM
I just went through this. The XPs have the "bottom metal" molded into the stock itself. There is no piece to remove and put into your new stock, hence having to buy their piece. Otherwise there would be nothing for your mag to seat and clip into.

Texas10
04-29-2021, 05:18 AM
This is a 'plug and play' option. I bought the blind well model and it came complete with pillars installed, a five minute installation.
https://www.eabco.net/Laminated-Thumbhole-Stock-fits-All-Savage-10-Series-Short-Action-Detachable-Mag-Rifles_p_13974.html

MacDent
05-08-2021, 01:20 PM
This is a follow-up... I did go with a Boyds walnut stock after all. I also needed a mag well, which I got from Boyds. The stock fit perfectly.