PDA

View Full Version : 110 scope rail

Woopig
04-10-2021, 11:37 PM
Have a couple of flat rear 110's. Bought a leupold , but it's too short. So I'm going to a rail base. So what are your opinions ,personal preference. Thanks.

NF1E
04-11-2021, 05:57 AM
You might check out EGW or Contessa for what you are looking for. Contessa are hardened steel but I have only used their round back. The EGW makes a very well done aluminum. Neither are cheap, but worth the bucks.

GaCop
04-11-2021, 06:20 AM
Totally agree with NF1E.

Woopig
04-12-2021, 06:43 AM
What about Talleys? Are they reversible?

efm77
04-12-2021, 11:14 AM
My preference is for steel rails. Warne, Ken Farrell, and Murphy Precision make fantastic ones. Quality aluminum is fine too, but I always gravitate to steel if I can.

Robinhood
04-13-2021, 07:48 AM
Weaver makes two line of rails. One line is Weaver dimensions and the other Picitinny.

seawolfxix
04-13-2021, 08:09 PM
+1 for Warne

olddav
04-14-2021, 08:02 AM
The problem isn’t limited to the rail. When installing a scope on a Savage long action you need to consider the length between the bells of the scope. I went through this very same issue with my first rifle.
Even with a rail installed I found I could not get the scope close enough to my eye, the forward bell would contact the rail.
I started to look at the distance between the bells and found a Nikon 4-12x44 scope that fit me and my setup. Higher rings would solve the clearance problem with the front bell, but the increased height created a new problem. I couldn’t get a decent cheek weld that was comfortable for me.
I was setting up a hunting rifle and if your application is different, then my experience may not be of much use to you.

efm77
04-14-2021, 08:50 AM
The problem isn’t limited to the rail. When installing a scope on a Savage long action you need to consider the length between the bells of the scope. I went through this very same issue with my first rifle.
Even with a rail installed I found I could not get the scope close enough to my eye, the forward bell would contact the rail.
I started to look at the distance between the bells and found a Nikon 4-12x44 scope that fit me and my setup. Higher rings would solve the clearance problem with the front bell, but the increased height created a new problem. I couldn’t get a decent cheek weld that was comfortable for me.
I was setting up a hunting rifle and if your application is different, then my experience may not be of much use to you.

This is another good point. I too have noticed the tubes getting shorter in recent years which makes it more difficult. I've tried to find scopes with longer eye relief to try to help offset the tube length problem as well.

Woopig
04-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Lot's of good points! I too am a fan of steel. My .308 had a set of Burris posi aligns and a mid 90's 3x10 weaver. But of course I wanted a change hence the Leupold. It seems a scope for a LA savage needs about 6'' from bell to power ring to fit. I have found the Bushnell and Burris will work also. The older ones anyway. Well back to the old setup. I have killed more game with this rig than any other 3 guns I own combined. So now I need another gun to go under the leupold. Ah life's full of dilemmas.